Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric Richter View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]8324[/ATTACH]
    Nissan and Mitsu? Porsche is aiming pretty low aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Nurburgring View Post
      Nice car! Congrats.
      Maybe consider some kind of IMS solution if you pretend to have it for a long time.
      I think the IMS failure rate for a 2006 997 is very low. I read up on it. Apparently the 996 cars have about an 8% failure rate, and the 2005 997 is more risky than other 997s, but the 2006 - 2008 997s have only about a 1% failure rate. I had the Porsche mechanic who did the Pre-Purchase Inspection cut open the fuel filter, and there was no metal shavings in it. I'm not worried about it . . .
      The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
      1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Its really hard to get true statistics on that issue. Im biased because I have personally seen two catastrophic failures on friends 997 at the track, one IMS and one cylinder wall fracture (which is more common on the "S" model).
        Less powah is better

Comment

Originally posted by Nurburgring View Post
          Its really hard to get true statistics on that issue. Im biased because I have personally seen two catastrophic failures on friends 997 at the track, one IMS and one cylinder wall fracture (which is more common on the "S" model).
          Were theirs 05 ? Which has smaller bearing. And very high failure rate. Worse then even early 996.
          06 and above (need a vin to verify. As cut off was sometime in 05) have the bigger bearing. Plus it is very difficult to swap out IMS on 06+
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
            I think the IMS failure rate for a 2006 997 is very low. I read up on it. Apparently the 996 cars have about an 8% failure rate, and the 2005 997 is more risky than other 997s, but the 2006 - 2008 997s have only about a 1% failure rate. I had the Porsche mechanic who did the Pre-Purchase Inspection cut open the fuel filter, and there was no metal shavings in it. I'm not worried about it . . .
            I'm asking out of curiosity but wouldn't you want to check the oil filter? Why would you check the fuel filter?
            99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
            '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
              I'm asking out of curiosity but wouldn't you want to check the oil filter? Why would you check the fuel filter?
              Good catch. I meant to say OIL filter. No metal shavings there. Maybe you should be the new Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
              2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
              2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Send an ounce to Blackstone Labs. For $25, you'll get a pretty intricate snapshot of what's going on inside your engine.
                Jack Olsen - 1972 Porsche 911
                What? An awesome video about me and my car
                My Corner-By-Corner Guide to Willow Springs
                My Two-Car Garage's Very Own Website

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                  . It had a huge NRA sticker on the back, and I am a big proponent of gun control. I eventually removed the NRA sticker, and, I finally sold the Suburban today (to a wholesaler at a big loss, but it's time to move on . . .)

I have more and larger NRA stickers if anyone needs. ...and Richard...I'm for it too..."gun control" is hitting what you aim at.

Comment

I'm not a porsche guy. I thought the 2000+ engines have 2 IMS bearings. 1 is oil fed and 1 sealed. The sealed one is the one that fails. So how is oil testing or filter analysis going to tell you anything? I thought that was part of the shatstorm the IMS failed without warning and there is no prophyactic treatment for it and even the over-engineered big bearing in the later cars failed and needed even more engine teardown to replace. So owners were mad!

Comment

Congrats. First and most important mod, do numeric shifter kit then thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by KJR50 View Post
                        Congrats. First and most important mod, do numeric shifter kit then thank me later.
                        Don't know what that is, but the car has a factory short-shift kit, and I love the beefy feel of the shift lever and clutch pedal . . .

Comment

Could be this:

Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review - 6speedonline.com Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
                            Quoting from first post in your link

"In reading this forum, it seems that the OEM 997 short shift kit is widely regarded as the best shifter available. "
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

If you're happy with the feel, that's all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                              X