996 and 986 Intermediate Shaft Lawsuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
    That's a bit naive if you ask me, sorry. Every car company has had multiple gaffes like this over the last say, 40 years. That's what PR departments are for.
    That this will barely be a blip on Porsches balance sheets is a given.
    What irks me is the legion of misinformed individuals still willing to pay 90k for 380whp sportscars with the funky engines hanging off the back bumper when the Cayman is sitting a few feet away in the dealership.
    I would never spend 90k on a new 911 but I can't think of any real world situation in which I'd choose a Cayman over a 911 either. GT4 is cool but I'd take a used 997 gt3 for that money. Used 987s are as much as a 997.1 c2s. Again I can't imagine after driving those back to back (track or street) you'd prefer the Cayman. I chose a 996 over a early Cayman very easily. It has less reliability issues, better engine, more engaging to drive, easier to work on (I'd assume given the Cayman engine is stuffed in the middle), more practical...

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
      ?? 06 is a pretty reliable year. IMS issue is way down on 06. I also believe there is no aftermarket fix for 06+ model. not sure why though.
      They went to a larger bearing and its within the crankcase. You can't pull it out or replace it without splitting the case. The older engines, you pay $3500 and get the aftermarket bearing, clutch and RMS replaced including labor at a reputable shops. I found my car with 50k miles, perfect condition, 30pages of records and the bearing done for $25k.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ1 View Post
        I would never spend 90k on a new 911 but I can't think of any real world situation in which I'd choose a Cayman over a 911 either. GT4 is cool but I'd take a used 997 gt3 for that money. Used 987s are as much as a 997.1 c2s. Again I can't imagine after driving those back to back (track or street) you'd prefer the Cayman. I chose a 996 over a early Cayman very easily. It has less reliability issues, better engine, more engaging to drive, easier to work on (I'd assume given the Cayman engine is stuffed in the middle), more practical...
        Practical no care. It's just the balance I dislike. Having driven a 991 turbo and 991 GT3 in anger, both great cars but just fundamentally flawed. I enjoyed driving both but if given either for free, I'd sell and get a GTS or maybe GT4 Cayman. A bone stock 90 Miata has better intrinsic balance than any 911. For me, it's about the driving experience, not how many kids or sacks of groceries I can squeeze in the back. Same reason I own a 3000lb C6Z and not a nose heavy Mustang or 3500lb Viper. I like balance. The 911 is a superbly engineered beetle, no arguments to the contrary can change that.

The Cayman OTOH, is a joy to drive at the limit.
        WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Working...
        X