X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tq3z
    started a topic Buying/tracking an air cooled 911 : Please help me

Buying/tracking an air cooled 911 : Please help me

Welp! I'll dive right in - I've been lusting pretty badly over an older 911 for years now and lately its just been getting out of hand. I'm having dreams where I am driving one half the time.

That being said! I think I've narrowed my choices down to 88-96 MY car. I realize the 993 and 964 will be more expensive but I really love the look of the 88 model year and am curious as to how far off in performance the two are. I plan to mod the car and eventually get it track ready but I have a few questions:

1.) What should I be paying? It looks like pricing is all over the place. I would like a mint car of course, but I assume so would anyone. What's the best compromise/price to pay for each generation? What are things to look for?
    2.) How does insurance work? Expensive to insure? Does it fall under "classic"? Basically....if I were to get rear ended and the car totalled would I be compensated fairly or would they write me a check for 4000 or so.
    3.) What is necessary to make this thing track reliable, or are they pretty reliable from the get-go. I am not expecting S2000 reliability, but if it were close to it that would be pretty ideal, imo. Is this a realistic expectation or will I be Hakeem & rx7?
    4.) Easy to work on? Common tools or does it get fancy on me like some Euro cars do?

Anyone who has an S2000 that can cross comment as well please do, these cars fascinate me and I am largely unexperienced when it comes to them. I have however been a long time admirer and considering joining the other team lately. Help convince or deter me please!

Note: I would probably keep the S2000 as well, but may change my mind as 2 impractical cars doesn't strike me as the best decision in the world. Would I miss the S2000? or will the 911 take care of me in terms of driving regard. I prefer the visceral, raw feel which I feel both cars will offer. Hopefully I'm not getting in way ahead of myself but as always guys - any help is appreciated!

• Richard EVO
    replied
    Market prices make 996 more attractive than 993 or 997.

Leave a comment:

• Dino Antonov
    replied
    I like 996's. I think they look great with 18's, where as 997's look stupid with 18's unless they're cup ride height. The worst part of the 996 IMO is the Ford Taurus interior styling. I'd still rather have an aircooled P-car if it were me tho.
    Originally posted by tq3z View Post
    God damn they are ugly though. (996 gt3)

Leave a comment:

• BEbengali
    replied
    Buy mine. It's the same color as your old one and significantly faster and prettier. lol.
    If you drive it for him

Leave a comment:

• tq3z
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I get what you are talking about. I have never owned a 911, but I have driven a few. I own an NSX. But the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned, and the one I wish I never sold, was the S2000.
    Buy mine. It's the same color as your old one and significantly faster and prettier. lol.

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    Other than the ugly teardrop headlights that afflict all 996 cars and 1st gen. Boxsters, I disagree with you. Certainly the best looking 996 of all.

I once saw a 996 that had body-color vinyl over the headlamps to make them look round, with another small round cutout for the turn signal. I don't know where it came from or how someone would do it, but it really made a big difference.

It looked like a 911 again and not like a Boxster, which used the same headlamp assembly in those years.

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    328 Ferrari is in that age range and the 348 Ferrari too. P bugs always broke down on me. I got bad p bug mojo in my family. Between myself and dad had 6 all sucked. If you must go there hang on rennlist to understand what you want. There are proper things to buy to track them especially if you hang with poc or pca and run in a class.

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    996 GT3 has the right engine, that don't suffer those dumb IMS issues and so forth. car actually drives good.

I bought an 06 997......plan was to sell my S2000 to help fund it. drove 997 for a month, then took out my S2000 to get it washed so I can sell it. in less than 1 mile, I decided not to sell s2000, and will probably sell the 997.
    I get what you are talking about. I have never owned a 911, but I have driven a few. I own an NSX. But the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned, and the one I wish I never sold, was the S2000.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    Originally posted by donutbob View Post
    I have a track prepped 1997 993 c2 I'd be willing to sell for $37k. I will provide additional details if the price and year suit what you might be looking for. I'm on my mobile device, I'll able to send photos via email as well.

Sfdough@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Don
    Don: can you post up the details please. late 993 is one of my bucket list.

Don is a good guy.....

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    996 GT3 you are saying is going to cost the same?

I must have really messed up on the priorities here......lol
    it is going to cost you the same after you fix up the early aircool 911 due to maintenance and to make them track worthy....
    ask Jack how much he spent on his 911..

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    996 GT3 has the right engine, that don't suffer those dumb IMS issues and so forth. car actually drives good.

I bought an 06 997......plan was to sell my S2000 to help fund it. drove 997 for a month, then took out my S2000 to get it washed so I can sell it. in less than 1 mile, I decided not to sell s2000, and will probably sell the 997.

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    Other than the ugly teardrop headlights that afflict all 996 cars and 1st gen. Boxsters, I disagree with you. Certainly the best looking 996 of all.

Leave a comment:

• tq3z
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hakeem
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I'm guessing in the neighborhood or $60K. But it's not air cooled, all you purists!
    996 gt3's for sale and values - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Leave a comment:

• donutbob
    replied
    I have a track prepped 1997 993 c2 I'd be willing to sell for $37k. I will provide additional details if the price and year suit what you might be looking for. I'm on my mobile device, I'll able to send photos via email as well.

Sfdough@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X