B6 rebuild. Additional features?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 rebuild. Additional features?

Times are lean around the McCocken homestead. My wife's career is skyrocketing, but mine as a consultant is as uneven as a haircut from Helen Keller.

I bought back my Miata after selling it to a close friend of mine. He has been around Mazdas and Miatas since the 80's. He has a cache of B6 parts he was hording for a failed attempt to open a garage. Some pieces were intended to go in customer's cars or his 323 GTX. Normally, I would lean towards a BP swap, but who am I to turn down a short block refresh included with buying the car back? We have been matching rods and pistons by weight. The block has already been re-honed, new rings, oil pump, seals, etc. I tested the current motor back in '11 at 949 during a '1.6 health challenge', compression was 205 to 195 across the cylinders with good leakdown numbers. The head is already reworked; p&p'd, shaved, new seals and studs at about 120k. The motor now has 179k on it. It's always been a healthier-than-average mill. I was matching dynos with early NA8s running boltons.

A fresher 5sp and ACT clutch will go in, too. I already have a 10# ChMo flywheel. I am currently re-familiarizing myself with the MSPnP I sold with the car, as I intend to reinstall the COPs I built when I swap out the ECU.

I was looking at other items to address with the motor out. Things I can do for little money. I looked at coolant reroutes, love the M-tuned kit E sells, but it's steep. I have priced out variations in the meantime. The radiator is stock-sized, but all metal (brass). This car is my daily and I track it often. I only have one more emissions test next year before this call falls off the smog list here in Atlanta.

What are some systems or good modifications to address when I pull the motor? Longevity, performance, and health on the DIY side especially. Thanks!
    Yer pal,
    Force

OEM replacement rad from Koyo is a good idea. Save something like 10 lbs of the nose and run cooler. Next best value is the CSF downflow for around $250.

Assuming all the engine seals are replaced and it's a long nose, there isn't much left.

If you are running premium, and it's 92 octane or better, you could skim .040 off the head to bring the CR up to ~10.5:1. That's a freebie.

Not sure what you have for an intake but a 19" tube on the cold side works wonders. details here. MX-5 Miata Forum - View Single Post - 180whp 152tq CNC head
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Excellent! I cannot remember the shave depth on it now, I will have to look up the reference marks cast in the head to measure when it's off. I may have some room to remove more than I already did, I seem to recall. We have 93 and e85 here. I will look up the radiators. Running the MSPnP with extrapolated intake design (ARC crossover to JRCAI elbow to filter), I was around 115 the last time I put it on the roller.

I have the JRCAI spacer that I was thinking of machining for a DIY reroute. The Kia Sephia water neck and Escalade coolant hose would round that out. Not sure if I could block off the front coolant port (where the OE coolant neck is) with a freeze plug and tap it for the thermosensor to trigger the fans.
      Yer pal,
      Force

Comment

If money is tight, the smartest move is probably to leave well enough alone. Weight reduction is cheap to a point.

Comment

Question...

Found this:
          A newbie's adventures in racing: Everything you never wanted to know about Miata oil pumps

If I am reading this correctly, a BP oil pump will fit my LNC B6 lump? Anyone have experience with this?
          Yer pal,
          Force

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
            Question...

Found this:
            A newbie's adventures in racing: Everything you never wanted to know about Miata oil pumps

If I am reading this correctly, a BP oil pump will fit my LNC B6 lump? Anyone have experience with this?
            Yes
            WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
              My wife's career is skyrocketing, but mine as a consultant is as uneven as a haircut from Helen Keller.
              Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I know all too well how that goes.

While the GF is the current "rock star" in her company, my attempts to follow her footsteps are being met with serious resistance from a peer of hers who manages me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmoe Money View Post
                Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I know all too well how that goes.

While the GF is the current "rock star" in her company, my attempts to follow her footsteps are being met with serious resistance from a peer of hers who manages me.
                That would be frustrating. Maybe there is a personal conflict playing out against you? Would you do better moving to a different company?
                Yer pal,
                Force

Comment

Working...
                X