Kirkey drag seat sizes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirkey drag seat sizes

quick question. What size Kirkey seat can I fit in my NA6 Miata before serious tunnel smashing is required?

Originally posted by Kamani View Post
    quick question. What size Kirkey seat can I fit in my NA6 Miata before serious tunnel smashing is required?
    Should be able to work that out with the drawings on the kirkey site and a tape measure. If you need to go wide, you can widen the space using a rivet in kit.

Update: Weld the kit in if you use it.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 07-13-2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I put a 16-inch in my first car, but I still had to smash the tunnel with a hand sledge to get it to sit straight fore and aft, and be centered on the steering wheel. Advanced Autosports has the rivet-in kit that Rob mentioned.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

The miata seat mounting area is somewhat V shaped. The further back you mount the seat the narrower it gets. Short drivers with seats mounted well forward don't need as much clearancing as taller guys who have the seat mounted closer to the rear bulkhead.

I would not recommend hammering the tunnel for clearance unless it is a very, very, small amount. Hammering the tunnel will stretch the metal and weaken it. Do it right and weld that panel in. Riveting is fine for positioning it for welding but is no where near strong enough to provide the necessary structural integrity for that area of the tub.

Some discussion here. Note Dave W.'s (owner of Advanced Autosports) comments:

Pictures: '99 Tunnel Mod, Sparco Seat Mounts - Page 2 - Spec Miata Garage - Mazda Racers

Mark
        AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
        Iron Canyon Motorsports
        http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

Working...
        X