Miata fire safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miata fire safety

I saw this thread today and a similar incident previously with a miata spraying fuel from the gas tank direction https://forum.champcar.org/topic/182...comment-382558. Since I am building my car into a race car and still haven't got a fire system or fire wall for gas tank direction. I start to wonder if I should put more focus on those. I want to bring this up to discussion:

1. If miata has fuel system problem under racing condition?

2. Any fire aspect recommendation on how to build a miata race car?

3. It seems to me that an auto fire system and some fire wall for fuel tank might be the easiest way to start with. Is aluminum panel good enough or has to be steel? Since in my opinion, it is more for blockage and earning a few more seconds. So Al might do the work?

Thanks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL4_HGcAPXj/

Wow! the getting sprayed with fuel part is not good. What causes this?

Comment

1. Miata doesn't have any endemic faults that make fire more likely. In fact the fuel tank, being in the center bulkhead above the rear subframe is much better protected than in most cars.

2. General road race car prep practices for the sanctioning body you are racing with are a good place to start. Again, the Miata doesn't have an special requirements.

3. Again, standard isolation techniques apply. If you show up to SCCA or NASA tech with a new car that has holes in the firewall or rear bulkhead, they will make you seal them up before getting your annual. Nothing unique to the Miata.

I run a manual onboard system on my primary race car. Taking a suggestion from Oli about 10 years ago, it also has a temp sensor triggered automatic release. The logic being that you might be dazed or unconscious for a few seconds after impact. That auto trigger buys you a few more precious seconds. Car also has a manual fire stick. Element 50 in my case. That's more for putting out other peoples cars or grass fires started by hot exhaust.

If you run E85, verify that the retardant in your system is alcohol rated.

For nozzles, our are set up so:

1. Firewall, pointed at fuel rail. Inline 4 cyl so that's pax side of engine. Fuel would be fire source on that side.
      2. Firewall, pointed at dipstick. Inline 4 cyl, so that's driver side of engine. Oil would be fire source on that side. For V6 or V8, still two nozzles, one for each bank.
      3. One on roof bars, aimed at drivers chest.
      4. One near center dash, aimed at drivers legs
      5. One on rubber fuel filler hose, between fender and tank. On the Miata at least, this nozzle can be positioned to also effectively cover the fuel pump assembly.

Hand held extinguisher can be reached from driver seat. Currently have to loosen belts to reach it so we have to fix that.

Last edited by emilio700; 09-21-2018, 09:07 AM.
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
        https://www.instagram.com/p/BL4_HGcAPXj/

Wow! the getting sprayed with fuel part is not good. What causes this?
        It was said that this might be cause be a pressurized gas tank... Not sure about the details.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
          1. Miata doesn't have any endemic faults that make fire more likely. In fact the fuel tank, being in the center bulkhead above the rear subframe is much better protected than in most cars.

2. General road race car prep practices for the sanctioning body you are racing with are a good place to start. Again, the Miata doesn't have an special requirements.

3. Again, standard isolation techniques apply. If you show up to SCCA or NASA tech with a new car that has holes in the firewall or rear bulkhead, they will make you seal them up before getting your annual. Nothing unique to the Miata.

I run a manual onboard system on my primary race car. Taking a suggestion from Oli about 10 years ago, it also has a temp sensor triggered automatic release. The logic being that you might be dazed or unconscious for a few seconds after impact. That auto trigger buys you a few more precious seconds. Car also has a manual fire stick. Element 50 in my case. That's more for putting out other peoples cars or grass fires started by hot exhaust.

If you run E85, verify that the retardant in your system is alcohol rated.

For nozzles, our are set up so:

1. Firewall, pointed at fuel rail. Inline 4 cyl so that's pax side of engine. Fuel would be fire source on that side.
          2. Firewall, pointed at dipstick. Inline 4 cyl, so that's driver side of engine. Oil would be fire source on that side. For V6 or V8, still two nozzles, one for each bank.
          3. One on roof bars, aimed at drivers chest.
          4. One near center dash, aimed at drivers legs
          5. One on rubber fuel filler hose, between fender and tank. On the Miata at least, this nozzle can be positioned to also effectively cover the fuel pump assembly.

Hand held extinguisher can be reached from driver seat. Currently have to loosen belts to reach it so we have to fix that.

Thank you for the advice.

In my opinion, blocking fire away from driver seems important. So I think besides the fire system you suggested, which is really nice designed BTW, a panel to block the gas filler hose and gas tank top panel (the little silver steel panel) is also helpful. Maybe that will be what I am going to do with my car.

Comment

A handheld is a good backup, but be sure it's mounted well. This one let go of the bottle in a crash. I use a Joe's mount that attaches to the roll cage, which I like, but it still uses hose clamps, which I don't like.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0164.JPG Views:	1 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	260662

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Yeah! That's huge. You don't want to have a projectile in your car.

Comment

I cringe everytime I see those fire bottle mount...... imo, they are worse than having no bottle at all. that fire bottle is 7.5LB. that will let go in a bad crash (proven in that picture).
                that's why most of us (in SuperMiata) are using Element 50 Firestick, which weighs 0.5LB.
                S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                17 GT350R
                03 Miata Club Sport
                96 NSX
                06 EVO MR
                15 Mini Cooper S
                Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                X