Mazda SVRA to Offer New Vintage Racing Championship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda SVRA to Offer New Vintage Racing Championship

Notice how they're setting it up. The Miatas won't race with other vintage cars, only against one another.

“Mazda Miata Heritage Cup” Five-Race Series Offers New Entry Point For Aspiring Racers

The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) announced today a relationship with one of the most formidable manufacturer brands in all motorsports, Mazda, to jointly organize a new class of vintage racing. The cars are first generation 1.6-liter spec Miatas of 1990 to 1993 vintage and will compete in a five-race points championship named the “Mazda Miata Heritage Cup.” Each weekend will crown a Mazda Miata Heritage Cup race event winner. The races will be given a distinct class but will be presented on SVRA event weekends at Auto Club Speedway, Road America, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Portland International Raceway and Virginia International Raceway.
    “This new offering associates us with a hugely respected brand in Mazda Motorsports but also opens the door to a terrific new entry point in vintage racing,” said Tony Parella, SVRA president and CEO. “We now have an affordable, more recent vintage race car that a younger generation driver can relate to. Younger drivers remember them and once they enter our sport they can build from there. As we infuse new blood into our sport it is also a nice tie to our recently announced driver school and accelerated path to competition licensing.”
    The new vintage spec Mazda Miata Heritage Cup is the latest enhancement to what the SVRA calls its season of motorsports festivals where fans yearning for the days of wide variety in car design and engine noises can have their fill. The new Mazda Miata Heritage Cup will have its own distinct races as do other run groups such as the Historic Trans Am cars. Professional Trans Am also shares the stage with the SVRA at various points throughout the season. The festival format of America’s premier vintage racing series with cars spanning 100 years of history also frequently includes Motostalgia car auctions, car shows and music concerts by iconic bands.
    Mazda Motorsports will provide support resources to the SVRA in organizing the Mazda Miata Heritage Cup events and season championship. The Mazda races will run with the SVRA at the following 2017 events: April 28-30, Auto Club Speedway; May 18-21, Road America; June 22-25, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course; July 27-30, Portland International Raceway and September 21-24, Virginia International Raceway.
    “We are pleased to support the SVRA in this enhancement to their race weekends,” said John Doonan, director for Mazda North American Operations. “Mazda Motorsports has a long history dating back to the 1960’s, so it is only fitting that we work with the SVRA. The Miata is a well-proven, time-tested racing platform and cars are widely available as well as parts. We know racers will enjoy the experience they have in the Miata and with the SVRA, who has impressed us with their growth and expertise in organizing racing events.”
    Mazda Motorsports boasts the most comprehensive auto racing development ladder system of any auto manufacturer in the world. The Mazda Road to 24 program offers a number of scholarships to advance drivers up the sports car racing ladder, beginning with the Global MX-5 Cup series and culminating with the Mazda Prototype team. The Mazda Road to Indy is a similar program that includes Mazda-powered categories of USF2000, Pro Mazda and Indy Lights. In grassroots road racing, more Mazdas race on any given weekend in North America than any other manufacturer. Mazda is also the title sponsor of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California.
    www.TrackHQ.com

I can't wrap my head around a 1990's car being considered "vintage". I have people laugh at me when I say I do vintage racing in a 1972 car.

Comment

25 years is 25 years. I was hoping the vintage organizations would let them compete among the existing classes. Time to buy a cheap old SM and dice with 2002s and 510s.

I guess there's no bump-drafting in vintage racing.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
        25 years is 25 years. I was hoping the vintage organizations would let them compete among the existing classes. Time to buy a cheap old SM and dice with 2002s and 510s.

I guess there's no bump-drafting in vintage racing.
        True, last weekend at Willow Springs several cars skipped bump-drafting and proceeded directly to crashing into each other. Saves time that way..... LOL

Comment

I love this. I know a good chunk of vintage racers would disagree.
          Yer pal,
          Force

Comment

Actually, 25 years means nothing for most vintage car orgs. Most still limit cars to mid-late 70s. VARA, here in SoCal, still doesn't allow first gen RX7s and Miatas to race in a vintage class. They do have a catch-all Club Racer class for non-vintage cars but it sucks for Miatas and RX7s (and similar cars) because you're competing against Corvettes, 911s, and M3s.

The 1.6 NA SM races with SVRA is kind of an experiment and I like the idea. They race in their own class but, if I had to guess, not their own race group. Still, I hope it catches on. Vintage racing is kinda fun and definitely has less carnage than most SCCA and NASA races.

Comment

Funny how the answer to everything, in this case falling vintage race participation, is Miata. Seeing what I have seen in SM I just can't see how old SM's are going to fit in with the "vintage" racing ethos without a major driver attitude rest. It is going to be like a bunch of pepsi drinkers crashing a coke party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlDH5S__VI

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                Funny how the answer to everything, in this case falling vintage race participation, is Miata. Seeing what I have seen in SM I just can't see how old SM's are going to fit in with the "vintage" racing ethos without a major driver attitude rest. It is going to be like a bunch of pepsi drinkers crashing a coke party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlDH5S__VI
                I think it's less about current SM drivers racing in a new group and more about giving a place for new drivers to start racing inexpensive race cars. 1.6 SMs can be found at shockingly low prices because they're viewed as no longer competitive.
                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

I think its a great idea.
                  Vintage racing needs an affordable entry car class that provides close racing and brings in new and perhaps younger drivers.
                  I can see long time Vintage racers adding a Miata to their collection so they can continue to bring 2 or 3 vintage race cars to each event.

Other Vintage groups are also providing a place to race for the "newer" Vintage cars.
                  CSRG
                  Racing News
                  Potential Additions to Group 8

This is a proposal to allow interesting, historical, production-based race cars with documented race history to join Group 8. These would have to be the actual cars, not copies/tribute cars. We want to see cars like the DeAtley Camaros, Roush Mustangs, 240-280Zs, Dekon Monzas, Miller Mustangs, Zakspeed Capris, Jensen Healeys, Triumph TR7s & TR8s, Porsche RSRs, Huffaker Pontiacs, BMW 3.0 CSLs…& more. Cars would be considered on an individual basis, with an emphasis on originality.
                  Last edited by passmenow; 11-12-2016, 08:57 AM.
                  74 911 RSR+
                  88 IMSA Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by passmenow View Post
                    I think its a great idea.
                    Vintage racing needs an affordable entry car class that provides close racing and brings in new and perhaps younger drivers.
                    I can see long time Vintage racers adding a Miata to their collection so they can continue to bring 2 or 3 vintage race cars to each event.

Other Vintage groups are also providing a place to race for the "newer" Vintage cars.
                    CSRG
                    Racing News
                    Potential Additions to Group 8

This is a proposal to allow interesting, historical, production-based race cars with documented race history to join Group 8. These would have to be the actual cars, not copies/tribute cars. We want to see cars like the DeAtley Camaros, Roush Mustangs, 240-280Zs, Dekon Monzas, Miller Mustangs, Zakspeed Capris, Jensen Healeys, Triumph TR7s & TR8s, Porsche RSRs, Huffaker Pontiacs, BMW 3.0 CSLs…& more. Cars would be considered on an individual basis, with an emphasis on originality.

I love those old Monzas.
                    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by passmenow View Post
                      Doesn't SVRA have a fuel cell requirement? That's is not in SM's and not cheap to do properly or maintain. For some reason SVRA allows C5 vettes in a configuration close to SCCA T2. However, I was denied a CoTA entry for no fuel cell.

Comment

I ran into the same thing several years ago when I was trying to go vintage racing. I had a Jaz fuel cell, l and I was denied entry as it was not FIA approved.

I think as the entry numbers are dropping, the "requirements" are loosening up some as well.

At my last SVRA event however, during tech I was told that with SVRA only, belts are only good for either 2-3 years, and then need to be recertified. We were still allowed to race, but 50% of us had belts that did not pass inspection.

Comment

Personally, I think it's Mazda trying to obtain world domination with Miata's.
                          I mean really! Those cars are everywhere! All forms of racing! My God! Somebody needs to stop them!!
                          That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gian View Post
                            I mean really! Those cars are everywhere! All forms of racing! My God! Somebody needs to stop them!!
                            Ant poison might be appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by Gian View Post
                              No, you just need to get on board.
                              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                              X