Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with WERC/NASA classing

Hi Guys,

I currently have a 91 miata in running condition sitting at my house. A few buddies have agreed to all chip in to get this thing build for some endurance racing.
    What route should I go with this lowly 1.6 car? We dont want anything to extreme. PTF or PTE class?
    Point me in the right direction boys if you can!

Originally posted by Bchappy View Post
    Hi Guys,

I currently have a 91 miata in running condition sitting at my house. A few buddies have agreed to all chip in to get this thing build for some endurance racing.
    What route should I go with this lowly 1.6 car? We dont want anything to extreme. PTF or PTE class?
    Point me in the right direction boys if you can!
    I would look at where you'll be racing and see which class has more cars to race. It's likely PTE so that's the direction I'd go. I believe PTE is still E3 for enduros, that usually has lots of cars to race. There's a guy in NorCal NASA who is doing very well with a 1.6 Miata in TTE/PTE.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

PTE and E3 is where you should be. Be aware that "running condition" likely will not make for a competitive car, but it will provide a starting point. E3 is typically pretty competitive.

For PTE, I'm not sure if the magic formula is maxing points or dyno reclassing, but someone who knows can chime in.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

be sure you know what type of racing you want.

if your goal is T25, E3 is VERY competitive. I will say most competitive of all classes. other classes you can get lucky and win. in E3,1/2 of the field won't break, so you need to be fast AND reliable.
        problem WERC is a small field, so the goal is always T25. Make sure you guys are willing to invest time and money to run in T25.

another option is to run Champ. it is a lot more competitive than you think, because it is basically one big class, so there are a ton of competition.
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
          PTE and E3 is where you should be. Be aware that "running condition" likely will not make for a competitive car, but it will provide a starting point. E3 is typically pretty competitive.

For PTE, I'm not sure if the magic formula is maxing points or dyno reclassing, but someone who knows can chime in.
          That was what I was thinking. I completely understand running condition is not going to make us competitive. We have accumulated quite a bit of very nice parts to start the build. The motor is the point of contention that we are unsure of.
          We know that a rebuild is in order. Thankfully we have a engine shop that is willing to help us on that aspect. Just need to read into the rules.
          I am unsure that a 1.6 is a good idea to go to a dyno reclass? The team is willing to commit a couple years before we run at the pointy end. We have some very talented drivers as part of this so we will shoot for a good balance of reliability and simplicity this first year.

Hopefully they will hold their end up as I have a full plate with my personal T4 Mx5 and a couple endurance races back east. Most of them are ex pro drivers that are used to having stuff done for them. So me and 1 other dedicated guy is leading the charge on the game plans.
          Thus the reason for this thread.

Comment

If sticking with the 1.6, I would points class as long as they'll let you - I've heard mandatory dyno classing is likely coming - and do a 0 points engine build. It would be less money though to swap in a 1.8 and dyno class.

Comment

That was what I was thinking. I completely understand running condition is not going to make us competitive. We have accumulated quite a bit of very nice parts to start the build. The motor is the point of contention that we are unsure of.
              We know that a rebuild is in order. Thankfully we have a engine shop that is willing to help us on that aspect. Just need to read into the rules.
              I am unsure that a 1.6 is a good idea to go to a dyno reclass? The team is willing to commit a couple years before we run at the pointy end. We have some very talented drivers as part of this so we will shoot for a good balance of reliability and simplicity this first year.

Hopefully they will hold their end up as I have a full plate with my personal T4 Mx5 and a couple endurance races back east. Most of them are ex pro drivers that are used to having stuff done for them. So me and 1 other dedicated guy is leading the charge on the game plans.
              Thus the reason for this thread.
              You're taking the long view, which is a good way to go. You won't get frustrated at the lack of immediate success and quit. Best of luck to you. Of course, post here whenever you have questions. There are a lot of people with endurance experience here on TrackHQ.com.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                I've heard mandatory dyno classing is likely coming
                Probably a good thing with dyno classing having been optional.

For now, if your motor is tired, a dyno reclass makes the most sense to me. If you go points, you'll want the motor in top shelf shape.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                  Probably a good thing with dyno classing having been optional.

For now, if your motor is tired, a dyno reclass makes the most sense to me. If you go points, you'll want the motor in top shelf shape.
                  I agree. Back when I raced PTE I chose the points class most of the time because I had a good engine and needed the best weight to power ratio I could get. Having everyone dyno class makes a lot sense, don't have to tear down engines to make sure they really are what they claim. Just put them on a dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                    I agree. Back when I raced PTE I chose the points class most of the time because I had a good engine and needed the best weight to power ratio I could get. Having everyone dyno class makes a lot sense, don't have to tear down engines to make sure they really are what they claim. Just put them on a dyno.
                    Well the dyno can be cheated without too much trouble, but with the dyno being optional, making it required doesn't open a new hole for cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                      Well the dyno can be cheated without too much trouble, but with the dyno being optional, making it required doesn't open a new hole for cheating.
                      Unfortunately there will always be cheaters.

Comment

Good to know boys. So would a dyno reclass with a 1.8 be the route to go?

Comment

Good to know boys. So would a dyno reclass with a 1.8 be the route to go?
                          You have to do the math to really figure it out. You could swap to a 1.8 engine and brakes and have your car classed as a 94-97 I believe. This would give you a new base class and comp weight. I think the bigger brakes might be better for endurance races. The PTE base class also gives you wider tires.

Comment

No Dyno re-class for 2017
                            nasaforums.com • View topic - UPDATE ST4/TT4 and other for 2017
                            That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gian View Post
                              Did I miss something? In the thread you linked it said D,E, and F would still have dyno reclassing for '17.

Comment

Working...
                              X