Collapse

Ford GT350R thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few of us have switched to the Simpson Hybrid-S HNRS so we could keep the stock 3-point.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

• Used 2017 GT350 (low mileage) is now a $47k car. 2016 is $40k, but most do NOT come with track package at that price.

It is best to buy one with Ford extended warranty already (many owners bought them) GT350 flat plane engine like to kill itself. Ford tripled the price of extended wantranty after a bunch of them blew up.
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• I bought mine new as a new leftover, late build 2017 at the end of July 2018. I got 4500 off msrp but agree, the values are falling.

I had a 2015 GT PP before this so I'm aware of the build quality or lack thereof and the gt350 specific issues.

I really enjoy the car though, it's a blast.

Comment

• I was telling others now is a time to buy !!! I think GT350 will holds its value after the GT500 fanfare wears off.
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Does the GT350 come with a cross-plane-crankshaft engine? The flat planes are cool, sound wicked and are a blast to drive, but I've heard they have some not-so-insignificant issues with exhaust, etc.
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Here is what's left of my GT350r motor

Last edited by shindul; 12-26-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Ouch
                S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                17 GT350R
                03 Miata Club Sport
                96 NSX
                06 EVO MR
                15 Mini Cooper S
                Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Flat plane crank is not a big deal. Ferrari been doing that old tech for decades. Why is the ford motor blowing up? Oiling problem? Weak main bearing? the problem should be pretty known by now?

Comment

• I didn't know BMW made Ford's engines.
                    Yer pal,
                    Force

Comment

• googled it. Seems you guys got bad oil pump gear that disintegrates. The solution should be simple but that is for you guys to research.

Comment

• Hmm. I wonder if Ford used sintered (compressed metal powder for those that might ask) gears in the voodoo. They are cheap to manufacture and have excellent wear characteristics but have very low tensile strength. Almost all production engines use sintered gears. Since they're normally run off the crank they're very susceptible to excessive crank vibrations of which the flat plane has a significant amount. Common problem in the 90-05 Miata engines as well. Sintered gears shatter when the crank flexes. So we replace them with Billet gears. Wire EDM, not cheap but it solves the problem in the Miata.
                        WWW.949RACING.COM
                        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

• Billet! Yes I read murmers on that. I suspect that will be something to look into immediately after the warrantee has expired. No vehicle is perfect. They all got something.

Comment

• Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                            Hmm. I wonder if Ford used sintered (compressed metal powder for those that might ask) gears in the voodoo. They are cheap to manufacture and have excellent wear characteristics but have very low tensile strength. Almost all production engines use sintered gears. Since they're normally run off the crank they're very susceptible to excessive crank vibrations of which the flat plane has a significant amount. Common problem in the 90-05 Miata engines as well. Sintered gears shatter when the crank flexes. So we replace them with Billet gears. Wire EDM, not cheap but it solves the problem in the Miata.

Another case where ease of manufacturing outweighed the material choice that's really called for.
                            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• There hasn't been much data in the failures because Ford isn't allowing the dealers to open up the motors when they go. Pull, send to them, and replace.

There have been 2 or 3 with identified failures, none have actually been the opg. However that isn't to say they shouldn't be upgraded to the billet pieces once warranty expires as stated above because they should.

Also, the vast majority of engine replacements are for oil consumption.

Comment

• Shindul's motor looks like it might have lost a little oil!
                                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                                X