Personal 2012 Boss 302 Mustang Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal 2012 Boss 302 Mustang Review

So, looking to change life up a bit and want to go down to one car that I can do track days in, keep pretty much stock and do multiple day road trips with the wife (yes, I like her company). Wanted the car to have some decent hp, without needing to mod it, but still handle somewhat well.

After looking around a bit, a few days ago I bought a 5 month old, 4000 mile used Mustang Boss 302 for a decent price. Only additions to the car were the TrackKey software from Ford and Borla axle back mufflers.

Street Impression -
    • Love the Recaro seats (and the wife likes them to)
    • Not a big fan of the alcantra steering wheel (prefer leather) but it is ok
    • Greattttttt sounding exhaust while not being too loud
    • Ride quality is good and cruises nicely in 6th gear (low RPM's at 80mph)
    • Clutch is easy
    • Runs on 87 Octane
    • Power is very nice when you want/need it

Track Impression -
    • Took it to AutoClub Speedway Speedventures event yesterday - didn't touch the car before going (stock pads, fluid, tires, etc.)
    • Put in 91 octane and used trackkey
    • Outside temps were about 80 degrees by mid-day
    • Power is very nice but makes it a bit more of a handfull to drive than the Z (not a complaint, just an observation)
    • Handling is pretty impressive for such a heavy car tuned for a bit of understeer
    • Brakes held up for the entire event and consistently stopped the car very well considering pads that don't make any noise on the street
    • Car never ran hot
    • Pirelli tires worked well and no chunking or irregular wear
    • Shifter sucked - not precise and tough to get into 5th during laps
    • Back end gets very light on hard braking (back of car sits decently higher than front)
    • Best time was a 1:58:8xx which I don't consider too bad since first track event with the car...taking it a bit easy to learn the car

Going to get an aftermarket shifter and springs and think the car should be the perfect daily driver/weekend toy

I like the no modding part

Comment

Originally posted by bawareca View Post
      I like the no modding part
      That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Seriously, I will probably do springs and shifter to take care of the couple track annoyances but will not touch the motor. It has plenty of power and want to keep it stock and in warranty.

Comment

For the motor I am sure,but the other parts........

Comment

Originally posted by bawareca View Post
          For the motor I am sure,but the other parts........
          Boss 302 comes from the factory with torsen diff, oil cooler, upgraded aluminum radiator, tokico adjustable shocks, brembo front brakes, track rated front brake pads, etc.

Other than the shifter issue and the springs to bring the rear of the car down a bit, don't think there is anything I am really dying to do to the car. Might change but not the plan (which would have been different had I bought an Evo or STI...my other options).

Comment

Thanks for the review. And congrats on the new car! Im glad you didn't buy an Evo. That car is evil. Toooo many mods available for the car and soooo easy to make power. Modding NEVER ends with that car (money pit). Its like eating M&Ms, after eating one 1, you want 10 more before you stop...
            Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
            1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
            2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
            2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
            1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
            1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
            1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
            1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
            1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
            1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
            2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Comment

If your looking for the Street cushy ride but still want track day proformance. You may want to look into KW shocks and spring package. We ran them on an 07. Thought it was a little soft, but my lap times were just as fast as when we tryed something stiffer. But FWY ride was awsome. All we did to the car for the track was. Hawk Blues in front (at the track only) with cooling ducts. KW package and sway bars. Oh and got rid of the traction control.
              Pual Brown drove the car and said it was one of the best balanced Street Mustangs he had driven.

Doing springs with out shocks realy over works the stock shocks, I would do the sway bar first. You'd get more handling for your money. Though springs do give it that cool look..
              Last edited by Gian; 05-06-2012, 11:27 AM.
              That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

You have my approval!

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

I saw you out there yesterday, it was the Red one correct?

If soo, you looked good out there, and the sound going down the main straight is great. Great purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Gian View Post
                    If your looking for the Street cushy ride but still want track day proformance. You may want to look into KW shocks and spring package. We ran them on an 07. Thought it was a little soft, but my lap times were just as fast as when we tryed something stiffer. But FWY ride was awsome. All we did to the car for the track was. Hawk Blues in front (at the track only) with cooling ducts. KW package and sway bars. Oh and got rid of the traction control.
                    Pual Brown drove the car and said it was one of the best balanced Street Mustangs he had driven.

Doing springs with out shocks realy over works the stock shocks, I would do the sway bar first. You'd get more handling for your money. Though springs do give it that cool look..
                    The Boss has upgraded shocks (Tokico Adjustable) and I found that Steeda has lowering springs specifically for the Boss (lower front only .2 but lowers the rear approx. .8) and slightly stiffer than stock. I was thinking it might be a good compromise without spending for the KW setup.

Originally posted by Neocataboi View Post
                    I saw you out there yesterday, it was the Red one correct?

If soo, you looked good out there, and the sound going down the main straight is great. Great purchase.
                    I was driving the red one in the red run group. There was another red one there that a guy trailered to the track (lowered with different wheels).

Comment

I'm fairly surprised it runs on 87 octane.
                      -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Comment

Originally posted by DutchOven View Post
                        I'm fairly surprised it runs on 87 octane.
                        So was I but I checked the manual and it says 87 Octane. Although, to use the Trackkey pcm flash from Ford, must use 91 octane.

Comment

My roomate just won one.
                          Awesome car, feels big from the driver seat though was my only complaint.
                          My other buddy complained of the difficulty getting to 5th gear as well.

Comment

may I ask you what the "decent price" was ? how much below MSRP ?
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Bchappy View Post
                              My roomate just won one.
                              Awesome car, feels big from the driver seat though was my only complaint.
                              My other buddy complained of the difficulty getting to 5th gear as well.
                              Won one? That is great. A guy at the track told me to get the Steeda Short shifter and shifter bushing set (use the harder durometer one) and the shifter will feel great. I am buying it this week. BTW - feels big from any seat/view because it is big :-)

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                              may I ask you what the "decent price" was ? how much below MSRP ?
                              As I mentioned, bought mine used (5 months old, 4000 miles). Came with Trackkey software installed, recaro seats/torsen differential option and Boss car cover. Paid $38,000 for it. Price I paid was about the best I could find with mileage and options. Sticker on the car was $43,500.
                              Last edited by jnathan68; 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X