'19 Mustang GT racecar build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post

a friend's lap.. did a 1:50 at Sonoma - first time there. pretty decent lap time.

Mustang PP1 MODS

3.Suspension : FP shocks with BMR springs .Front BMR Sway bar, 350R rear sway bar.
    Is that Alex from NoCal? I was going to call him today since we have been going back and forth on Mustang forum. If he is your friend he has instant credibility. He has the exact same car I have. Is he a hotshoe?

It seems like the PP1 package is junk and everyone is doing similar mod to Alex.

Being a 350GT guy yourself why don't GT owners just put on the 350GTR suspension as the "go to" suspension? Isn't the 350GTR suspension the best and known repeatable what you are going to get?

Comment

GT350 has Magnetic shocks. Not that easy to add onto a GT.

Alex is new to California, he doesn’t have experience with California tracks but a pretty fast driver.
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
        Being a 350GT guy yourself why don't GT owners just put on the 350GTR suspension as the "go to" suspension? Isn't the 350GTR suspension the best and known repeatable what you are going to get?
        GT350 and GT350R are same shocks and sway bars. R has slightly lower and stiffer springs. We are developing a replacement shock package, Xida ACE for the GT350/R. Magnetorheological shocks have a few intrinsic weaknesses: They run very hot and fade quickly in hot weather. They wear quickly, a direct result of the little metal filings floating around in the oil. They have relatively crude damping profiles due to the physical constraints on their valve system.

We have offered a Pro motorsport level race shock, the Xida for about 10 years now. That includes a semi-active variant, ACE. It will probably be 6 months before they are available to ship to customers but we're quite confident they will be the best shocks on the market for the GT350/R.
        WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Emilio,

I PM you regarding what you and 949 might be able to do for my GT.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
            Emilio,

I PM you regarding what you and 949 might be able to do for my GT.
            PM's turned off on forums (sorry!). Email info@949racing.com
            WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

I think of springs as the 1st basic that has to be thought about when venturing outside of OEM or building a new chassis. I'm thinking about this because I don't have a known group of racers before me who say "just put this in and it will work" or a rule set that says you must use this. It was great when 10 of us ran C5 corvettes in T1. Knowledge wasn't kept secret because everyone wanted the battle to be determined on track. It was fun. Others select springs based on the perceived reputation of a vendor. Well I have watched some of those on-line development threads from some pretty famous guys and I'm often not impressed. This often results in us drivers owning many sets of springs gathering dust in the garage.

Is anyone using math to empirically choose their springs to minimize their spring swapping and build then tune their suspension around the springs? I did that with a Ferrari maranello and was very satisfied. I only used math because I had no data and any data out there was top secret. Ferrari had 3 different springs available that I did not have access to without buying them and I did not have a spring tester anyway.

My research on mustangs show that spring rates are all over the place. Ford must have 6 different rate springs and a bunch of different shocks to go with those rates. I suspect the shocks to really be the same but valved differently. That would imply Ford is doing their job. To add to the Ford confusion is the rear OEM spring is divorced from the shock and some aftermarket springs are "on" the rear shock so a divorced 800lb spring and a 800lb spring on shock yield different wheel rates. Then OEM Mustangs have no rideheight adjustment so you can't control ride height, rake, or corner balance! This is a "performance " car? That means the aftermarket has come up with shorter spring and adjustable mount so there are a whole bunch more springs out there. Mustang springs make me go dizzy.

I think I'm going to just do the math and have a reason for the springs I choose or at least feel ok with what others might be promoting. Anyone ever let math choose their springs and develop from there?
              Last edited by fatbillybob; 10-19-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

949 might have a setup they recommend or sell. If not, I suggest you contact Joe or Andrew at Phoenix, they have a few SCCA Runoff Championship trophies earned by Mustangs that might suggest they know your answer. I bought my GT2 Penske setup from them.
                To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Working...
                X