Turbo swap on EcoBoost Mustang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo swap on EcoBoost Mustang

They claim the turbo drops right in in about an hour with regular hand tools and costs <$3k. With a tune it makes over 500hp. Not sure how well the rest of the car will hold up but seems like a relative bargain.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/06/eco...-of-power/amp/
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

520 horsepower from a 2.3-liter Ford four-cylinder. What a time to be alive.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

The Taunus-powered guys: *yawn* Hold my beer, mate.
      Yer pal,
      Force

Comment

I'm seriously considering an ecoboost mustang for racing in SCCA T3

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
          I'm seriously considering an ecoboost mustang for racing in SCCA T3
          Upgrade the turbo and race GT1. ;-)
          To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
            520 horsepower from a 2.3-liter Ford four-cylinder. What a time to be alive.
            Honda guys: "Ah, that's adorable."
            4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

Turbonetics are way behind the curve. FullRace actually worked with Ford on development of the ecoboost. OEM levels of integration in their upgrades.

The Turbonetics hardware is 80's tech. Full Race runs EFR's, whole 'nother level of tech.

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...ost-turbo-kit/

WWW.949RACING.COM
              SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
              But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

A dyno sheet does not a race car make. IMO, that engine - shared with the RS is very fragile. I can't remember having read about so many engine failures in recent memory when owners start to "play" with that motor. As a "race" engine, at best only a 1/4 mile at a time.

Comment

So the 2.3 Ecoboom now joins the Subaru boxer four and the turbo rotary as the notorious engines you never want to turn the boost up on?

I hadn't heard they were fragile.
                  www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

I had ordered, waited months, and finally received one of the very first RS's in the Country. IMO, the RS was a one-hit wonder. The out-of-the-box cornering ability really defies logic and defines that car. But that was pretty much the extent of what I liked about the car. Don't even think about tracking the car. The drivetrain (PTU) will overheat very quickly and will opt out of AWD. The better you are as a driver, the more quickly it happens - as a better driver pushes the car to the limits more frequently. I could get 30-40 minute session in and Ryan could barely eek out 10-12 mins on an 85F+ day. Great, a car that the better you get, the worse the car is for you. But, I digress. I was a relatively active member of the RS forums and still read them occasionally. Dozens of engine failures - some of them stock but most with a "Stage1" tune. The car just seems to be at or near its limits as OEM and any mod to tilt the scale a little was often met with disaster. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                      So the 2.3 Ecoboom now joins the Subaru boxer four and the turbo rotary as the notorious engines you never want to turn the boost up on?

I hadn't heard they were fragile.
                      they (as in Mustang) are fragile (for track) even on stock boost level...

to be fair, even v8 Mustang GT Performance Pack (any version) are overheating like crazy on track. only Shelby can handle track works (has its own issue, but not bad).
                      Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-13-2019, 09:46 AM.
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I started racing vettes because if you can't beat them join them. Now the Mustangs are winning. In SCCA T!, 2 ,3, 4 & gt2. It seems to me overheating was never a problem on track. It is pretty standard however that racers put bigger radiators and oil coolers as a 1st upgrade in just about any streetcar. Probably the biggest joke of the last few years is the C7Z06 going 2 laps and going into limp mode. Well the aftermarket solved the overheat problem really quickly as usual. If you can make a C7Z06 live on track just about anything else is easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X