Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

C7 Corvette Grand Sport...future low cost track weapon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C7 Corvette Grand Sport...future low cost track weapon?

Since C8 Covette begins production by the end of the year it got me wondering... would a C7 Grand Sport make an excellent affordable (soon sub 50k) track car in the coming years? On the surface it would seem so due to the following that come STOCK:
    -NA 6.2L dry sump push rod V8 with adequate cooling/ air flow
    -Brembo 6 piston F/ 4 piston R with 371mm F and 366mm R rotors (from Z06)
    -Rear transaxle cooler
    -F/R brake ducting
    -7sp manual
    -285F/335R PS Cup 2s
    -Aero kit
    -Magnetic ride with adjustable drive modes (with software updates available from factory)

In theory a C7 GS would seem like the car would need VERY little in order to make it survive track days and be a competitive time trial car.
    -Lighting bucket seats
    -Roll bar
    -6pt harness
    -High temp pads/ fluid
    -Weight reduction (trim removal, lightweight battery, etc)

My main concerns lay around the electronics that control the rear diff and drive modes and how they will cooperate in extreme conditions over the long term. How do you guys think one of these would compare to a GT350 as a track car that can be easily drive to and from track days? On the face of it the GS is about 300lbs lighter and about 1 sec faster around Laguna Seca than a GT350R on the same tires.

Last edited by madant15; 04-26-2019, 07:04 AM.

It would be a great track weapon. As long as you can turn off all nannies it is good to go. I have not bothered to look at the C7 in detail but race a C5Z. I got nothing but good things to say about vettes. Plastic is also nice. I have not had time replace the bumper cover damage I got at Sebring. I was able to drill holes and franeknstein it together. You can't do those kinds of things with metal.

The wimp in my brings out the negative of tracking a streetcar not set up with modern race safety systems. The C5 is fast. The C7 is in another level. When you leave the track in a fast car you go faster eating up more runoff area. I race at places with close walls WGI, slick as snot grass to barriers VIR, and dessert with poorly graded runoff that will flip you WSIR. As I learn to drive faster I'm actually liking slower cars that magnify my errors. I'm happy to run my C5Z restricted with ballast to slow it down for my class. I'm even seriously considering dropping down a class to race an Ecoboost Mustang an even slower car with nice big cabin for my arthritic body to get in and out over the NASCAR bars. So a lot of what you drive is where you are in life and driver development.

Comment

I know of a few C7 GS drivers, they are decently fast, issue is pretty minimal. problem is that there aren't enough data on them, especially not from super fast drivers. note I say not enough, not none. There are a few, but not a huge amount of data like we have on Miata, S2000, C5 and C6.

I am afraid C7 will be similar to C6, that on paper it looks great. Even a base early C6 has same weight/power as a C5z06. That's till they start blowing up. Then C6 track version shows up, C6z06, no problem for most drivers, till they starting putting on Hoosier, then blow up again (for early z06)......

same thing with ND Miata. weighing as much as early Miata. But then their transmission start blowing up. Then Mazda came out with a fix, "v2" transmission. still blows up. Then "V3", still blows up. Then "v4", will let you know in a few months.

as for GT350, I will tell you they aren't a great track car if out of warranty...... 2 of 5 GT350s that I know of blew the engine. it is also a flat plane design, means everything just vibrates loose. If you have a race team that can do bolt check at end of every track day, you will okay then. but engine still goes kaboom.

I am assuming you are a good driver (don't Trackhq only allow good drivers?). If you are not, then none of this applies... There are a ton of threads on Vette, Mustang, ND Miata and Tesla forum claim they have no issue at track, 99% of the time is because they are going 10 seconds slower than a 125whp Spec Miata......... there is a "Tesla" shop that track their Model S since 2014... never had an issue. We (couple of guys on Trackhq) took out our Model S, we cannot finish 1 lap before it overheats..... and this was on stock crappy tires.
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I have driven the C7 Z06/Z07 (not the GS), out of the box that car seemed like a really good package. To your post, The Cup2 ZP is very fast but also has a high operating cost. The C7 GS and Z06 are also quite a bit heavier than the C5Z/C6Z, so beyond the good OE setup, it will be less speed per consumable dollar spent than the older cars. I would cross-shop against a C6 Z06 with fixed heads.
        2003 Z06
        Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

Like others stated, a bit on the porky side compared to C5Z and C6's. Not enough data to see how reliable they really are when pushed to their limits with a good driver.
          SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

All good points, I will keep a close eye on these they become cheaper and thus more popular track cars and see if any issues crop up. At a certain point I may even bite the bullet and become a test mule for developing the car. One of the other things that really got me interesting in the car is that they seems to have much more fluid handling characteristics compared to previous Corvettes and seems to be more like big miatas/ s2000s than anything else. Here is a video of a BONE STOCK C7 GS doing a 1:55.2 at BW 13CW:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF7qS-oiu2E

Comment

I wonder what tire. That car looks seriously stuck to the track.

Comment

The stock tire package is pretty nuts. I think itís giant cup2s. One of the big things about these newer fast cars is they come from the factory with tires that are pretty close in lap time to a Hoosier. So instead of slapping Hoosiers on a car that ran all seasons, than having to change spring rates/ shocks/ bushings/ sway bars, you have a car designed from the factory to handle that level of grip. I think the magnetorheological shocks have been a big breakthrough. The cars drive fantastic on the street and on the track.
                Being someone who only buys used cars, Iím just wondering how well these shocks and e diffs will age?

Comment

An e diff is simply your rear brake pads and wheel speed sensors, isn't it?

Nevermind, looks like something fancier.
                  Last edited by robburgoon; 04-27-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                    An e diff is simply your rear brake pads and wheel speed sensors, isn't it?

Nevermind, looks like something fancier.

In general I hate Ediffs. They work by a combo of sensors with traction control, brakes, and manufacturer compromised electronics to put power where the manufactuer thinks it should be for the street. It is like the difference between OEM street ABS and a Tunable Bosch Motorsports ABS. Apples and Oranges. OTOH it is pretty well known what mechanical limited slips do like quaifes and torsens, lockers etc.

There are so many unknowns with "E" anything. Can you turn all the nannies off then what happens to Ediff? You can turn off porsche PSM but some say it will come back on when it wants to. As "E" everything gets more sophisticated the designers are so arrogant that they know better than you what you want out of your car at all times. They exert that right because they can. Theri compromises are not your compromises like fuel economy over performance under the guise of fuel economy "with" performance.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post

In general I hate Ediffs. They work by a combo of sensors with traction control, brakes, and manufacturer compromised electronics to put power where the manufactuer thinks it should be for the street. It is like the difference between OEM street ABS and a Tunable Bosch Motorsports ABS. Apples and Oranges. OTOH it is pretty well known what mechanical limited slips do like quaifes and torsens, lockers etc.

There are so many unknowns with "E" anything. Can you turn all the nannies off then what happens to Ediff? You can turn off porsche PSM but some say it will come back on when it wants to. As "E" everything gets more sophisticated the designers are so arrogant that they know better than you what you want out of your car at all times. They exert that right because they can. Theri compromises are not your compromises like fuel economy over performance under the guise of fuel economy "with" performance.
                      That's something I really don't like with modern cars. Will the ABS behave badly? Will the brake bias be junk? Will the TMPS get upset? Will the stability control get upset? Will the diff get upset? Will the ECU give me lots of rev hang when I don't want it?

Comment

Originally posted by madant15 View Post
                        All good points, I will keep a close eye on these they become cheaper and thus more popular track cars and see if any issues crop up. At a certain point I may even bite the bullet and become a test mule for developing the car. One of the other things that really got me interesting in the car is that they seems to have much more fluid handling characteristics compared to previous Corvettes and seems to be more like big miatas/ s2000s than anything else. Here is a video of a BONE STOCK C7 GS doing a 1:55.2 at BW 13CW:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF7qS-oiu2E
                        The factory PDR is cool. This is the second C7 video I have seen with this. The description says it has a stage 2 aero upgrade. Pretty impressive for factory upgraded aero. Min speeds were good in some corners, but not so good in others. Not sure if driver or weight of the car issue...

The Video is saying he's running CCB's. (carbon ceramic brakes).

I've never had the budget for such a thing, but wouldn't be pretty expensive to maintain? I thought on some cars the brakes alone are like 20k? If the Corvette is the everyday man's sports car, I'm hoping their CCB option is a little bit more cost friendly. How much are C7 carbon rotors?

SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Although I am with you guys on E-stuff, I have to admit that it might work better then we assume. Sometimes it's just us, a kind of people, who like to know how everything happens. But this doesn't mean when we don't know, it would be worse... Also it maybe come from our experience, when the new E-stuff didn't work well. Just like automatic trans, we don't like it, it didn't work as good as a good drive. But now it is hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post

The factory PDR is cool. This is the second C7 video I have seen with this. The description says it has a stage 2 aero upgrade. Pretty impressive for factory upgraded aero. Min speeds were good in some corners, but not so good in others. Not sure if driver or weight of the car issue...

The Video is saying he's running CCB's. (carbon ceramic brakes).

I've never had the budget for such a thing, but wouldn't be pretty expensive to maintain? I thought on some cars the brakes alone are like 20k? If the Corvette is the everyday man's sports car, I'm hoping their CCB option is a little bit more cost friendly. How much are C7 carbon rotors?
                            Carbon ceramic rotors are about $1400 each. I would get a Grand Sport with the steel brakes (which are also the standard brakes that come on the Z06).

Comment

Working...
                            X