Electric Trailer Dolly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Trailer Dolly

I'm looking at moving to a house with a long enough driveway to fit my truck and trailer but it's on a pretty narrow street. I don't think I can back my trailer into the driveway if another car is parked across the street or even if no car is on the street. I think I'm about 43 ft long with truck (Ram 2500) and trailer (18 ft enclosed) and the main limiting factor is room to maneuver the truck after getting the trailer turning.

I might be able to use an electric trailer dolly to get my loaded trailer from the street to the driveway and I found these sources.
    Power Movers | MOVING MADE EASY
    Power Caster, electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler
    Parkit360° Trailer Dolly|Mover for Boats + RV Trailers

I talked to the guy at Power Movers and he custom makes them for your trailer size/height/weight to make sure it can clear the needed driveway or obstacles. They have AC and battery powered units but everything seems to be over $1000.

Anyone one have experience with something like this or a better idea? I'd like to store the trailer in the driveway and the street is not reliable to have a big enough opening to park.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

I looked at these a few years ago too for similar reason. I can get my trailer in my gate but it's pretty tight width-wise. A new, longer travel trailer and my longer truck might get tricky. BID has one I believe. I'm pretty sure he found his used on CL.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

I have a power mover that I used to move my 24' enclosed trailer around with for years. A/C powered, not battery powered. I think I paid about 1100 which seems like a lot for it but the ability to park the trailer in a very confined space was priceless. I would never have been able to have that trailer without it. Access to my property is very restricted and the power mover made it possible to spin the trailer around and park it where it needed to go.

Mark
      AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
      Iron Canyon Motorsports
      http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

yep, I have a powercaster, it's the little one with a single wheel, They can be found used for pretty cheap, I honestly don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was not close to $1000. knowing my wife it was probably less than $500. it's AC powered but a 100' extension cord makes it easy to get around.

The ability to park my trailer, hitch first into the back corner of the yard is easily worth it...

BID

Comment

I have the HF one like this works great for me.

You are big strong young dude should have no issues moving an 18' trailer and the miata inside....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22067.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	230417

Comment

Some people have used the cheap bolt-on "Trailer Valet" dollies along with a cordless drill to power it.

Others have had success using lawn tractors. I'm seeing 18hp Crasftman models on CL for $500. A bit of fab and R&D would be needed on the hitch - don't want the front wheels coming off the ground. But on the upside, you also get yourself a lawn tractor...

Comment

What about putting a ball mount/hitch receiver on the front of your truck?

Comment

Originally posted by slodrew View Post
                I thought about this, but the biggest problem is the street width. I'm not sure it would make it any easier.

Originally posted by bikeindirt View Post
                yep, I have a powercaster, it's the little one with a single wheel, They can be found used for pretty cheap, I honestly don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was not close to $1000. knowing my wife it was probably less than $500. it's AC powered but a 100' extension cord makes it easy to get around.

The ability to park my trailer, hitch first into the back corner of the yard is easily worth it...

BID
                Do you think it's reasonable to pull up at night after a track event and unhook in the street and push the trailer in to the driveway with one of these? Looks like these things are pretty slow and I don't won't to block my entire street for too long.
                -Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
                  Do you think it's reasonable to pull up at night after a track event and unhook in the street and push the trailer in to the driveway with one of these? Looks like these things are pretty slow and I don't won't to block my entire street for too long.
                  It is slow,,, maybe 1/2 walking speed. The real advantage would be that you can spin it basically in it's own length, think about being able to pivot the trailer around the dual axles. So you could drop it perpendicular, in front a normal 2 car driveway. Pivot the trailer 90 degrees and pull/push it up the driveway... no real reason to block the street at all.

BID

Comment

Originally posted by bikeindirt View Post
                    It is slow,,, maybe 1/2 walking speed. The real advantage would be that you can spin it basically in it's own length, think about being able to pivot the trailer around the dual axles. So you could drop it perpendicular, in front a normal 2 car driveway. Pivot the trailer 90 degrees and pull/push it up the driveway... no real reason to block the street at all.

BID
                    This would actually be with 1 car driveway about 50 feet deep, but I guess the same idea. Trailer needs to be rotated before entering driveway but it still sounds like a possibility.
                    I don't actually live there yet so I need to try it manually with the truck, but I've got an auto search on CL going if anything pops up. Maybe I'll be surprised and street parking will be no problem.
                    -Anthony

Comment

Ironically I'm in a similar situation and need to find a better option for maneuvering my trailer in and out of its current storage facility. If you happen to find a decent solution please let me know. I had the HF dolly years ago and it was more trouble than it was worth so I don't want to walk down that road again. I did see this https://www.trailervalet.com/ and thought the XL version might not be a bad option.

Comment

That thing doesn't look bad, and it's half the price. If I buy something, you're welcome to try it out Jason.
                        -Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by slodrew View Post

Saved me more than a few times.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100676.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	230423

Comment

Can you go 4 miatas wide on that street Anthony? I don't have a super wide street but I do have to get my open trailer up a single car driveway. Fortunately my neighbors driveway is almost directly across from mine so nobody parks right at the exit of my driveway.

And Eric, I'm surprised you would have any problem trying to get that trailer through your gate.
                            1990 S2 SuperMiata

Comment

Originally posted by albertg View Post
                              And Eric, I'm surprised you would have any problem trying to get that trailer through your gate.
                              The gate opening is only 2' wider than the trailer so while not terrible, it's tricky by yourself especially when cars are waiting to get by.

The new truck is longer than the Aspen and the new trailer will be longer than my old trailer. That might make things interesting. I think my new trailer is 6" narrower than the old so that will help.
                              99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                              '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                              X