Evolution of your Tow Vehicle and Trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution of your Tow Vehicle and Trailer

When I first started tracking my car, I drove it but only for about 6 months.

After that I started renting a Uhaul trailer and borrowing my in-law's '98 4 Runner.

About 6 months of that and I bought a 16' Bri-Mar open steel trailer from the East Coast.

A few years later we bought a used '08 Chrysler Aspen as a family hauler that could tow and a brand new 20' enclosed Look trailer.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	261440
    I had that for a couple of years but sold the race car and trailer and bought a travel trailer and upgraded the tow vehicle to a '15 Sierra 1500 with Max Tow package. We had the travel trailer for a couple of years but didn't use it much so we sold it.

Name:	
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	261441
    This past December a nice little toy hauler came up for sale and since it could fit a Miata, I bought it and a Spec Miata to ride in it.

Name:	image_11097.jpg
Size:	642.1 KB
ID:	261442
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Red_5; 01-29-2019, 10:10 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Name:	trailer.jpg
Size:	895.4 KB
ID:	261446Not much evolution here. I went from renting U Hauls, to borrowing your open trailer to a used enclosed trailer, which I still own. I added Pirelli coin mat flooring and cots. It was a great buy at the time and it's still a solid trailer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	05-22-09_1722 copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	208.0 KB ID:	261445
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

You upgraded your tow vehicle along the way too.

Comment

My biggest problem with enclosed trailer is just storage. When I looked for my last two trailers, one requirement is fit in my normal garage...

Comment

01 ram 1500 230hp v8 and open trailer.
          now a 13 ram 1500 395hp v8 and open trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by wxywb021254 View Post
            My biggest problem with enclosed trailer is just storage. When I looked for my last two trailers, one requirement is fit in my normal garage...
            I cut the tongue off my open trailer so it would fit in my garage with racecar on it. I welded a structure so I could bolt the tongue on and off and I welded a tire rack.

Comment

Trailers in the last 8-10 years
              * 2000 Custom toy hauler enclosed (sold) race cars wouldn't fit
              * 1960's home built tilt trailer with mobile home tires (sold)
              * 2001 Carson 18' open paid $800 (have used at least 400 times)
              * 2004 Interstate 20' enclosed (sold to someone on here)
              * 1997 Universal 32' open trailer. Had 3 cars on it once to Buttonwillow in the rain. Sketchy (sold)
              * 2018 Pace 18' V nose enclosed ( V nose is awesome!)

Comment

starting in the 80s....

75 Ford F250 Super Cab 390 V8 with tandam axle open trailer, good rig.

84 Chevy 454 1 ton crewcab with Carson Racer 20 foot enclosed. 454 = four filthy whores, what a pig.

99 Ford F250 powerstroke with same Carson Racer 20. Great truck.

Currently 2014 Ram 1 ton crewcab dually with a Featherlight 24 V nose. Improved towing safety.

Our Carson Racer I bought new is now 25 years old and still no leaks or issues. Very happy with the old Carson trailer.
                74 911 RSR+
                88 IMSA Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post

I cut the tongue off my open trailer so it would fit in my garage with racecar on it. I welded a structure so I could bolt the tongue on and off and I welded a tire rack.
                  Yes. I remember I've seen your pic somewhere. I found a nice 16ft open trailer that fits my garage, which works pretty well for me. But it would be nice to have an enclosed trailer too

Comment

So, it's been my dream for over 10 years to trailer my car (now "cars") to the track.
                    I started last year by buying an '08 Explorer with a 4.0L v6 and low miles, it was the best deal I could get/afford that had a decent towing capacity (5,000lbs.).

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	261512

1st. thing I got is an OBDII reader so I can watch trans temps, I found temps are fine as long as the torque converter is locked up, if it's slipping alot in stop and go traffic, that creates a ton of heat.

Name:	IMG_0606.JPG
Size:	690.6 KB
ID:	261521

Of course I had to upgrade the brakes with some track pads, don't want any fade coming down the grapevine!

Name:	IMG_0728.JPG
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	261519

I then tried to rent a trailer from U haul only to find that they will not rent ANYTHING to Explorer owners up to 2011 model year!
                    So I started shopping for a trailer last fall, I looked at used trailers and found they were pretty expensive $4k+ for anything decent.
                    I needed something on the short side, I plan on parking the trailer in my apartment back parking lot.
                    So after consulting a track buddy, he suggested I check out Carson trailers in south L.A, I did and found they had a 14' car hauler made to order on the lot, the customer had backed out and it had sat for a year. They were trying to get rid of it; dropped axles, winch mount, chrome wheels, electric brakes, all for $3500 out the door, including registration and tax!
                    It weighs 1,500lbs. BTW.

Name:	IMG_0624.JPG
Size:	903.3 KB
ID:	261513

Once I got it, I realized there was a lot more too it, I needed a ball and ball mount (how much drop do I need?), a brake controller, cable for controller, tow straps, a drop leg foot, a hitch lock and wheel lock so the trailer doesn't get stolen.

Name:	IMG_0650.JPG
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	261514

I also needed to mount the straps securely, so I had to buy some "D" rings and have them welded on:

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Size:	852.6 KB
ID:	261515

Then I wanted to upgrade the lights, I replaced the side markers and taillights, I added reflectors and large super bright LED reverse lights so I can see what I'm going to hit when I back up!

Name:	IMG_0729.JPG
Size:	916.5 KB
ID:	261516

Name:	IMG_0791.JPG
Size:	965.5 KB
ID:	261517

Name:	IMG_0793.JPG
Size:	826.6 KB
ID:	261518

So now I'm ready to take either car to the track!

Name:	IMG_0656.JPG
Size:	864.6 KB
ID:	261520

Comment

I'm digging that Audi sedan. I don't know the model, but it looks good.
                      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

What about vans as a tow/race car support vehicle? I've seen a few at the local race tracks and like how you could store lots of race car parts (including spare wheels/tires) as well as take a nap in it if you'd want.

Comment

• ucfbrett
                          ucfbrett commented
                          Editing a comment
                          One of the Spec Miata racers has/had a GMC van, and it was fantastic. 4x4 panel van with a 6.6 Duramax. It made me want one.

I did a little research on the V8 Duramax powered GM vans and if I remember correctly, the engines in the vans are tuned for less power than in the trucks and the vans donít get the Alison transmission. Used V8 Duramax vans are not very easy to find either.

Comment

We all want to dual use everything. If we could drive our racecars to the track we would but compromise compromise we have trucks and trailers. Just one more data point for the 3/4 ton Truck...4X4 truck that is... I just got back from Mammoth in about the nastiest road conditions or at least the top 3 nastiest conditions I have driven in over the last decade. The 3/4 Ton 4X4 Ram 2500 diesel is just a beast. Town parking lots with a foot of snow, unplowed small roads, ice up main roads are no match for the 4X4. Pulled out other stuck 4x4's. In Mojave it was lightly snowing sideways with huge winds....Bring It!

Comment

No tow vehicle yet. I changed cars and dialed back my modifications, except personal protection, to work with the dual-use necessities. I was shopping another car for my wife with the premise it could be used as a tow vehicle, but I was uncomfortable for her to try to accommodate that with her needs/wants. Shopped V8 SUVs for her but settled on a 3.5l V6 AWD RAV4 for her. Though it *could* tow my gear (5k# limit), I wouldn't out of concerns for wheelbase, wear and tear, and other reasons. We definitely have room to store an additional truck/trailer on the property, no issues, it's just hasn't made sense to pull the trigger yet. Most of my events are within the tow coverage I have.
                            Yer pal,
                            Force

Comment

Working...
                            X