Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on tow vehicle/daily driver

Need advice on tow vehicle/daily driver

Looking for a dual purpose vehicle (I only commute 15mi. per day), I have some very tight money constraints so here's the requirements:
    Needs to be less that $10,000, preferably less than $7,500
    Track car weighs less than 2,400lbs. so towing capacity of about 5,000lbs? Will be using U haul car trailer.
    Would like V6 economy if possible
    Needs to be reliable!
    Interior can be basic, don't care about options except automatic, cruise and extended cab would be nice!
    Where can I find such a beast? Opinions on what to buy? Open to suggestions, can be SUV or pickup...

Thanks!

PS: car was on trailer backwards because front air dam wouldn't clear ramps!

Did you see this thread? Even though it's been around for several years, it will still have good info given your budget.

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f298/w...-vehicle-4757/

I think a previous generation Nissan Pathfinder, the recent body on frame version is a good start.

Then a circa 2005 Chevy Tahoe / GMC Yukon would be great but they're V8s.

You can probably fine a 4Runner but unless you find a V8 version you'll be close to the towing capacity of 5k pounds.

Dodge Durango SUV or Dakota truck will do the trick within your price range but make sure they have the Tow package. I have an '08 Chrysler Aspen which is basically a Durango with a pretty face and it's rated to tow 8500 pounds with the tow package. Quite a bit less without. It has a Hemi and is awd so it's a bit of a gas guzzler.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

5k LB toe rating wonít really cut it. You are way too close, Uhaul trailer is heavy. What Eric said about last gen Pathfinder. Iíve owned 2. Pretty reliable
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
        Did you see this thread? ......
        Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for, I need to be pointed in the right direction.

Comment

Empty U-Haul car trailer is 2200lb
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
            empty u-haul car trailer is 2200lb
            damn!!

Comment

Pathfinder or Frontier with the VQ40.

/thread

Comment

2003-2009 v8 4runner...tows my 996tt beautifully w/ an aluminum 18ft open trailer.
                '01 Porsche 996 911 Turbo - Reliable track toy
                '93 Mazda RX7 R1 single turbo - SOLD

Comment

Here is a tow vehicle in your price range that does not even need a trailer to haul your car: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...522701489.html

Its a front-drive, "axle-less" box truck that has air suspension that essentially puts the box on the ground for loading . . . would be an amazing race hauler.

I hesitate to even post it because I am sorta-kinda thinking about it, but realistically it doesn't fit what I need since I already have a tow vehicle and trailer.
                  2002 Porsche 911 Targa
                  1967 GTV
                  1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
                  2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

V8 4runner. The 2wd version should be in that range. '03+

The V6 versions of that generation are rated at 5k like the generation before it, but the '05+ V6 versions have the 5sp auto the V8s have. A little better for towing.
                    Yer pal,
                    Force

Comment

Originally posted by ETK View Post
                      Here is a tow vehicle in your price range that does not even need a trailer to haul your car: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...522701489.html

Its a front-drive, "axle-less" box truck that has air suspension that essentially puts the box on the ground for loading . . . would be an amazing race hauler.

I hesitate to even post it because I am sorta-kinda thinking about it, but realistically it doesn't fit what I need since I already have a tow vehicle and trailer.
                      That is AWESOME. I'd rattle can the exterior yellow, the interior black, install some hooks and call it a day.
                      2001 MR2-Eleven
                      Experience Points: 21
                      Youtube Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
                        That is AWESOME. I'd rattle can the exterior yellow, the interior black, install some hooks and call it a day.
                        Absolutely. Maybe also bolt on a tire rack. And racks for fuel jugs. Maybe also a winch. And I would definitely install tracks to guide the front wheels during loading. So much want.
                        2002 Porsche 911 Targa
                        1967 GTV
                        1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
                        2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

The box truck is a commercial vehicle. You still have to pay much higher insurance and registration even if using it for personal use, "not for hire". You can convert and register it as an RV to lower the insurance cost.
                          Elise
                          MR2 Spyder
                          Mazda RX7 FD
                          Porsche 911E

Comment

Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
                            The box truck is a commercial vehicle. You still have to pay much higher insurance and registration even if using it for personal use, "not for hire". You can convert and register it as an RV to lower the insurance cost.
                            I am continually impressed with your knowledge of everything. I think I need to call you before every important decision. I'm thinking of getting married. Yay or nay? Know any life hacks to make kids cheaper?
                            2001 MR2-Eleven
                            Experience Points: 21
                            Youtube Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
                              I am continually impressed with your knowledge of everything. I think I need to call you before every important decision. I'm thinking of getting married. Yay or nay? Know any life hacks to make kids cheaper?
                              Vasectomy

Comment

Working...
                              X