Test drove the big 3 HD trucks back to back to back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test drove the big 3 HD trucks back to back to back

Just came back from test driving the F350 crew cab (Platinum), a Sierra Duramax crew cab (Denali) and the 2018 Ram Crew and Mega cabs (Laramie).
    I am actually shocked by my own findings, going into this without bias.

I drove the Ford first.
    Just getting into it, the interior quality is excellent.
    The crew cab is on par with the Dodge mega cab in terms of space, minus the extra storage room behind the back seats, impressive.
    Took it for the longest test drive of the bunch - ride quality is shockingly good. I mean, seriously, it's amazing.
    The truck feels very big on the road and steering is not the most communicative, but it's very decent.
    Engine obviously has enough power, but is somewhat underwhelming in terms of punchiness (that is a real word).
    Towing features are on a completely different level than the GM and the Ram.
    The score card added up to something I completely didn't expect.

The Sierra Denali Duramax was next.
    Just sitting in it at the dealership it already felt kinda cramped inside, color me unimpressed.
    The cab felt cheap, sub par plastics and switches that you don't expect in a truck that has a $70K window sticker.
    The test drive was a bi-polar experience - the ride quality is bad, not just a little bit, it sucked.
    The engine trans combo, however, is a gem. Goddammit that Dmax / Allison is oh-so good. Wow!
    The score card did not impress, a truck needs to have more than just the best engine / trans combo, and as good as they are, it just doesn't cut it.

The Ram was a familiar territory.
    Went into a Laramie crew cab first, to see how I feel about it after 4 years of mega cab ownership. It was okay, much better than the GMC, not quite as good as the Ford.
    I really didn't care for the notched back seat in the crew, and sitting in the mega a few minutes later definitely made me happier.
    The front seats are the most comfortable of the bunch (with the Ford in 2nd), very supportive without feeling too bolstered. Wife said the same too.
    The Ram feels older in terms of design both inside and out, but the design is good so it's not losing much here. It does feel lower on tech though, I didn't think I'd care about it, but after being in the Ford IDK how I feel about it...
    On the road it was somewhat better than my 2008 Ram, better than the GMC by far but nowhere near as good as the Ford, which admittedly is the best riding HD truck I've ever been in.
    The Cummins engine might be the lowest rated on the paper, but feels punchier than the Ford and not too far behind the Duramax.
    I loved that engine in the old truck and having it with even more power didn't make me hate it
    Score card is decent, pretty much where I expected it to be.

If the cost was not an object I would've probably driven the Ford home today, but the price is significantly higher.
    The fact that the 2019 Ram is a brand new model makes me believe I will most likely find the best deal on a 2018 Ram out of the 3, but man, I am surprised with how I feel about this.
    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

LOL! 1st world problems. You probably aren't going to sleep well tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
      LOL! 1st world problems. You probably aren't going to sleep well tonight.
      I don't sleep wondering when my 1999 Ford is going to die, as I have no budget to replace it. LOL

Glad to hear Ford is stepping up there game. I drove Chevy work trucks for years, but the crummy brakes forced me to make a change and I have never looked back.

Comment

Our family vehicle (only had one) when I was a kid was a Fiat 127 Sport -

Then we upgraded to a newer Autobianchi Y10 -

And after that one we got our first big car, a Fiat Uno with a mighty 1.4L and for the first time - rear doors!
        What an amazing experience, to be able to get in and out of the car with anyone needing to jump out and move the front seat -

You can probably stuff the entire Y10 into the cab of the Ford / Dodge...
        Might be 1st world problems, but I never forget where I came from.
        Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

So, after all that you're going to replace your Dodge with a ... Dodge.

That sounds like a fun way to spend a day. Thanks for posting the comparison.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

I wish I would have gone with a 3500.
            Ford expedition to HD 2500 felt like overkill at the time but, in hindsight, I wasn't dreaming big enough. Now, I'm dreaming of adding a pop top truck camper on my 2500 while towing a fully loaded enclosed trailer, but I'll be over the GVWR if I don't choose carefully.
            -Anthony
            1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
            2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
              Ford expedition to HD 2500 felt like overkill at the time but, in hindsight, I wasn't dreaming big enough. Now, I'm dreaming of adding a pop top truck camper on my 2500 while towing a fully loaded enclosed trailer, but I'll be over the GVWR if I don't choose carefully.
              Sell Moti your 2500 and upgrade!

Comment

I would have gone 3500 too. In fact if I did not live in LA county I would have a dually.

Comment

You could easily tow a living quarter trailer with your 2500.
                  99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                  '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Do some digging on the Internet. A lot of times, the only difference between a 2500 and a 3500 is the addition of one leaf to the rear springs.

I was thinking now that I have room for a dually it might be cool/handy/*****in' to have one. However, when I saw the prices of models newer than my 2005 Silverado 2500 HD and the mileage on the same-year dually trucks I found for sale, I figured I'd keep mine because it only has 67,000 miles on it. Most of what I found for sale had twice that.

On my Chevrolet, weight designations are related to springs, axle and wheels. The wheels and the axle are the same on a 2500 and a 3500, so the only difference is springs, and 3500 has one more leaf than the 2500. I think it's like $400 for a pair 3500 leaf springs. If I ever get a larger trailer, I'll go with the springs before buying a new(er) 3500.

It's worth checking out on your Dodge, too.
                    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                      Do some digging on the Internet. A lot of times, the only difference between a 2500 and a 3500 is the addition of one leaf to the rear springs.

I was thinking now that I have room for a dually it might be cool/handy/*****in' to have one. However, when I saw the prices of models newer than my 2005 Silverado 2500 HD and the mileage on the same-year dually trucks I found for sale, I figured I'd keep mine because it only has 67,000 miles on it. Most of what I found for sale had twice that.

On my Chevrolet, weight designations are related to springs, axle and wheels. The wheels and the axle are the same on a 2500 and a 3500, so the only difference is springs, and 3500 has one more leaf than the 2500. I think it's like $400 for a pair 3500 leaf springs. If I ever get a larger trailer, I'll go with the springs before buying a new(er) 3500.

It's worth checking out on your Dodge, too.
                      you just made me spend 20 minutes diving down this rabbit hole.
                      for my configuration and year, the only difference in suspension/drive train is the rear leaf springs.
                      2500 GVWR is 9600 lbs - payload 2300 lb
                      3500 GVWR is 10100 lbs - payload 2950
                      not really sure why those don't go up by the same amount but an additional 500 lbs more to play with would help quite a bit if I do buy a truck camper....
                      https://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf..._Tow_Chart.pdf
                      -Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                        I have been researching the hell out of this because the tow ratings on the F-Series jump quite a bit 250 to 350. Truck shopping makes my brain hurt.
                        Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
                        FacebookInstagram

Comment

I went further down this rabbit hole.

2011 Ram Crew Cab 4WD SRW
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	RamGVWR.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	232770

Also strange the base weight drops by 150 lbs from a 2500 to 3500
                          Last edited by b3d3g1; 04-23-2018, 03:13 PM.
                          -Anthony

Comment

^^The max trailering and payload aren’t much more than my ‘15 1500. I’m a little surprised by that.

Comment

Oops

Comment

Working...
                              X