Collapse

Strange Trailer Tire Wear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice negative camber so you can make wicked fast Left turns!

Check your wheel bearings. I would not be surprised if when you jack that side the wheel has more play.

Comment

Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
      tire states max load at 80psi so I set to 75 assuming they will be close to 80 when warm.

I have 10 ply radials 225/75R15

I think I'll replace and repack all the bearings and then probably get new tires next month.
      Does Maxxis give SPM drivers deals on trailer tires? If not I got a good deal on Maxxis trailer tires through America's Tires' eBay store. I think William had posted somewhere about the deal a year or so ago but they frequently have deals around various holidays.

BTW, I run my E load range Maxxis trailer tires at around 80 psi cold. I could swear that's how they're supposed to be run but I can't remember where I got that info.
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
        Does Maxxis give SPM drivers deals on trailer tires? If not I got a good deal on Maxxis trailer tires through America's Tires' eBay store. I think William had posted somewhere about the deal a year or so ago but they frequently have deals around various holidays.

BTW, I run my E load range Maxxis trailer tires at around 80 psi cold. I could swear that's how they're supposed to be run but I can't remember where I got that info.
        no deal on Maxxis trailer tires. Maxxis trailer tires are considered premium brands (and Goodyear is considered to be bottom of the barrel). Discount Tire Direct (through Ebay or not) often have deals, like $100 off $400. last time I bought like x10 of quality brand 10 ply for under $380. I am paranoid of getting a flat on my trailer, so I never let it get low on the tread before swapping them out.
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
          Yes, I think this is correct. My understanding is trailer tires should be set at their Max PSI when they are cold. It is NOT safer to set them ~5 PSI under max -- apparently they can flex too much if they are under-inflated, and that can actually cause them to get too hot. Its confusing because regular car tires are almost never set to their Max PSI.
          2002 Porsche 911 Targa
          1967 GTV
          1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
          2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

Don't overlook the fact that the issue may just be crappy tires. I had the first set of tires on my open trailer do something similar and the issue was the tires were delaminating internally.

Mark
            AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
            Iron Canyon Motorsports
            http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

I'll toss another log on the Bearing fire as well as alignment. If you have a rubber spring axle. Check those when doing the bearings. Also, I would guess you are very close to max GVW.
              Oh yes and it could be the belts slipping in the tire (As above crap tire comment)
              Last edited by Gian; 04-10-2018, 05:53 PM.
              That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Maxxis M8008 10 ply 225/75R15 ordered.
                new drums with bearings ordered. (easier than dealing with races)

Throw money at it and hope for the best.
                -Anthony
                1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
                2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

Agreed. I've done races. It sucks.

Comment

Although your bearings might not be shot, might just need adjusting the slop in the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                      Although your bearings might not be shot, might just need adjusting the slop in the nut.
                      I have yet to find a good quantifiable method for setting the axle nut which makes me think it's not that sensitive. No slop and somewhat free spinning and you're good to go.
                      I'm open to suggestions.
                      -Anthony
                      1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
                      2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
                        I have yet to find a good quantifiable method for setting the axle nut which makes me think it's not that sensitive. No slop and somewhat free spinning and you're good to go.
                        I'm open to suggestions.
                        What I do is torque the wheel nut to 50 lbs to preload the bearing then back off a 1/4 turn. No second guessing on if all 4 are correct. After the first trip check again, you should be fine. Depending on the tire the "COLD" psi is where you want to set it to, always check before every trip, and like Emilio said, even 5 psi either way will make a difference. Always replace every 5 years even if the look ok, trailer tire will rot before they wear out.

Comment

Originally posted by 48yota View Post
                          What I do is torque the wheel nut to 50 lbs to preload the bearing then back off a 1/4 turn. No second guessing on if all 4 are correct. After the first trip check again, you should be fine.
                          Torque While spinning the wheel too. That is very important!
                          That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Working...
                          X