Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrackHQ recommend me a tire

Hey All,
    So im looking to up my tire game a bit this year for NASA TT4 but would still like to be able to drive the car from/to. I was going to go for the hankook Z214 in C51 but tirerack is sold out until march, presumably because its a hankook and they cant seem to get their supply chain in order.

Here are the factors to consider:

1: The car is a 2005 S2000 with all the bits. Wheel is 17x10, so shopping in 255-40-17 or a heavy 245-40-17 is where im at.

2: I have been running the RC1 now for years. Its a good tire, but if anyone else turns up on a real tire im boned. Ive got piles of them from the S2000 challenge which is maxxis sponsored, and like them fine but it is what it is.

3: I taste-tested the BFG R1 last year since i had friends doing the same on the hankook Z214. I liked the grip, and the tire carcas was light (you could really feel the accel diff) but i felt it was a poor value. Very expensive and grip evaporated in about 20 heat cycles (ended up 2sec slower than RC1)

4: Ive run the RE71R and RivalS and both are undeniably faster than the RC1 but wear VERY badly (3 days and done) and the RivalS in my sizing costs almost as much as the R1 (nearly 50% over other tires).

5: I have a tendency to build speed in a session so there is real value to me in a tire that can put up quick laps deeper in the session versus a 3 lap wonder.

So is there something that will tolerate a 60-100 mile run to the track and still be able to play at the level of the 40tw DOT competition tires ive not considered?

Should i just shut-up and order NT01 or another set of RC1?

Is there a new street tire i should consider?

Seems like NT01s are a good fit for your demands, unless it rains.

There is Toyo contingency money in TT, so you could theoretically run the new R888Rs, but I don't know how well they stand up to being driven to and from the track. The RR is good, too, but again, I have no experience in how they wear with street use.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

I tried the R888's and hated them. Word on the street is the R888R is no better. Anyone here have tangible first hand experience?

Comment

I hate the original R888, too. I have not driven the new version.
        To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Toyo RR wear like iron, don't heat cycle out, lose about 1-2% from sticker to cord.
          Come in 235, 255, 275 40 R 17
          Check your rules for tire size and tread compound,

This data is from NP01, 1750 lb 235/40/17, your mileage may vary.

Comment

Rs4?

Comment

Originally posted by rikgray View Post
              Toyo RR wear like iron, don't heat cycle out, lose about 1-2% from sticker to cord.
              Come in 235, 255, 275 40 R 17
              Check your rules for tire size and tread compound,

This data is from NP01, 1750 lb 235/40/17, your mileage may vary.
              This sounds promising. Think it would survive a 60-100 mile drive to the track and still perform?

Comment

Originally posted by luke warmshoe View Post
                Rs4?
                At Streets on Feb03 a friend is going to wheel swap with me so i can try the new RS4 for a session. The RS3 was my go-to for a while but once i got quick enough to get my fastest lap out of it 3 laps into the session, fighting the tire after that got frustrating. Curious how the RS4 feels in comparison.

Comment

Toyo RR on NP01 are good for 6 to 10 track hours depending on track temperature, etc. Freeway miles are free (no corners, no heat, no wear).
                  Wish they had Vette sized RRs.
                  I can burn down a set of Kumho Victoracers in a day at the track or 5,000 street miles.

Comment

Originally posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
                    At Streets on Feb03 a friend is going to wheel swap with me so i can try the new RS4 for a session. The RS3 was my go-to for a while but once i got quick enough to get my fastest lap out of it 3 laps into the session, fighting the tire after that got frustrating. Curious how the RS4 feels in comparison.

I feel like the RS4 is faster than the the VR1, but it's hardly scientific and I have doubts about it being noticeable quicker than the RC1. Maybe.
                    I've seen you with truck and trailer; why not trailer it with tire of choice and avoid the compromise?

Interested in your thoughts after the test either way.

Comment

Originally posted by luke warmshoe View Post
                      I feel like the RS4 is faster than the the VR1, but it's hardly scientific and I have doubts about it being noticeable quicker than the RC1. Maybe.
                      I've seen you with truck and trailer; why not trailer it with tire of choice and avoid the compromise?

Interested in your thoughts after the test either way.
                      I dont trailer most of the time out of laziness. If I trailer it adds 1.5-2 hours to my day. The car is road legal, if i dont trailer i can be home and showered in time to go out to dinner with the wife. My rule is i trailer when the track distance exceeds my AAA towing range or (approx 200 miles) otherwise i drive it. Car still has AC and a radio. Its still kinda civilized.

Comment

Advan a052 ?

Comment

i'm always intrigued by boutique racing tires from south america

https://www.facebook.com/natiresusa/
                          NA - Carrera | Home

this is a very interesting tire =) they call it enhanced bias ply

Comment

Working...
                          X