DIY Cool Suit ice box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Cool Suit ice box

doing this writeup, because when I Googled, few posts I've seen were not approved for dummies

edit: I've built 9 so far, all are still working in the team.

I spent about $100 total. build takes only 15 minutes, but finding correct parts was time consuming. so I thought this might help others. pretty sure you can build this for less and better. I am not that handy. I get lost in Home Depot.

tool:
    1" hole saw
    silicon adhesive
    teflon tape

here are the parts you need:

dry breaks:
    5/16" hose barb valved in-line coupling x 2 . this is what connects to your cool suit
    PLCD17005 - 5/16 Hose Barb Valved In-Line CPC Coupling Body

option:
    5/16" hose barb non-valve x 1 - you need 1 of these so you can drain the water out of ice chest at end of day (yes, you can also un-tie, pick up the cooler and dump water out, but I'm lazy). because all connector are valved (closed), this un-valves (open) it. it can also be used to prime the pump (by sucking on it !!).
    PLC22005 - 5/16 Hose Barb Non-valved In-Line CPC Coupling Insert

- 3/4" x 3" threaded PVC pipe x 2
    - 3/4" ID vinyl tubing, 1.5FT long
    - female hose nut to hose barb 5/8" x 3/4" x 1
    - 5/16" ID vinyl tubing, 14FT long (length depends, 14FT is for an ice box sitting in front passenger seat and goes around to driver side)
    - 1" x 3/4" PVC bushing x 2 - this really is just to be used as a nut. for the 1st item above.
    - female hose to hose barb swivel, 3/4" x 3/8" x 2. (this item was $7 at Lowes/HD, yet $2 at Osh).
    - bilge pump x 1 - cheaper the better. the big one flows too much.
    Walmart.com: Tsunami 500 GPH Cartridge Bilge Pump, 12VDC: Fishing & Boating
    Amazon.com : Attwood Tsunami Manual Bilge Pump : Boating Bilge Pumps : Sports & Outdoors

- cooler - your choice. I have a 25qt (or 28qt) one, this is much bigger than commercial ones. reason: in SOCAL, we only drive in desert tracks. I also plan to use it in 6 hours enduro. it fit a 20LB ice you buy at gas stations. in 100F desert weather, it last a day (6 sessions) easily. important: buy a cooler (see blue one below) that has a continuous flat lid edge surface you can stick on insulation weatherstripping. the red cooler below can't do that, and will leak under cornering load next to the hinges.

edit: I buy this one now. it is lower profile. fit trunk better. $20 at Walmart.
    Igloo Marine 25-quart cooler - Walmart.com

- insulation weatherstripping, to seal cooler lid. I bought the thinnest ones, but I've also tried thicker ones, no problem.
    - noodle, 6ft - for insulating 5/16" vinyl tubing from cooler to suit.
    - few hose clamps - don't really need it, but for a piece of mind.

notes:
    - imo, it is better to mount the bilge pump toward front of the car. Braking G. is always higher than acceleration G (if don't own a supercar). it is also a good idea to tilt ever slightly, so pump is sitting at lowest point.
    - solid block of ice lasts longer than crushed ice.
    - you need a little bit of water to get the pump started.
    - as for priming the pump. if you already ran it in the past, and there are water in your suit already, you won't need to prime it. but the first time you use with a new suit (air in the lines), it will need to be primed. you can help it by attach the suit and lay it on the floor (lower than pump)
    - it is cheaper to buy nylon vs. brass parts (expensive) on few of items I've listed above. I was just too lazy to look for it. edit: Osh's parts were a lot cheaper (than Lowes or HD) for some reason. you probably save $20 or so.
    - I did not screw/glue down the bilge pump. G. load helps it to go with the G. load is (where water are). works great.
    - other than dry breaks bought online. bilge pump and cooler were bought in Walmart (or Amazon). everything else were from Lowes.
    - ran the bilge pump wires through the lid opening. no leaks.
    - install a switch to turn pump on and off.
    - you might want to consider putting in a little of anti-fungal stuff, humid is not a good thing.
    - if you are wearing a racing suit. consider cut a tiny hole at bottom of pants pocket. that's where you route the hose out. I am very uncomfortable seeing 2 hoses out of crotch area as many do (fire can also reach your junk).

Mounts:
    old way: I used my old factory passenger seat mounts, and strap the ice box down. it is very sturdy. new way: you can also use 2 flat aluminum bars (each bar screwed into seat mounting holes. and use that to strap the ice box. or you can mount it in stock spare tire location, it fits perfectly. just tie it down.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-08-2016, 05:42 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

How much would you charge to build me one?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

2 more pics.

here is a complete Ultrachiller DIY video. same idea, just slightly different connector. important thing is to drill a 1/16" hole through the pump to prevent cavitation. watch the video at 2:40 to see where to drill.

per Jay Ronquillo: " in terms of the connectors, i wrote a DIY for cool suits as well, heres an excerpt:The metal catch/release is narrower than the plastic catch/release. Therefore the groove on the female side of the connector is narrower for the connectors with metal catch/releases. The metal catches will work with either of the female connectors.*The male side designed for a metal catch will not work with a plastic female catch. The plastic catch ring of the female side is diametrically to large to fit in the grove for the catch. Cool Shirts and Ultra Chiller shirts use the plastic catches, FAST shirt uses the metal catches."
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-07-2017, 03:25 PM.
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Very cool stuff!
        Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
        Supercharged E46 M54B25.
        2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!

Comment

how about a diy for the suit??
          kenchimsg.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by kenchi View Post
            how about a diy for the suit??
            I am not that cheap !!
            cool suit is only $130 at the low end. up to $250 for SFI ones.
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
              I am not that cheap !!
              This guy is: http://specthismiata.com/2008/08/03/...-shirt-system/

Comment

Can I use my fish tank?? I already got a pump n everything!!

I like this. It reminds me of the fuel system I made for my motorcycle to replace the petcock that is shi* for WOT use.
                Aztec Racing
                fsae.sdsu.edu

www.hikickracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                  How much would you charge to build me one?
                  heck I'll build you one. but I am not sure how you going to mount in your stock S2000 ? may be a small ice chest ? or mount it in trunk ? but I won't know how to run the noodle (tubings) to driver seat.

looking at my own S. in theory, you can just let it sit on passenger seat, and do a strap around seat bottom rail. it will hold it tightly, but not sure how that would pass tech.
                  S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                  17 GT350R
                  03 Miata Club Sport
                  96 NSX
                  06 EVO MR
                  15 Mini Cooper S
                  Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                    heck I'll build you one. but I am not sure how you going to mount in your stock S2000 ? may be a small ice chest ? or mount it in trunk ? but I won't know how to run the noodle (tubings) to driver seat.

looking at my own S. in theory, you can just let it sit on passenger seat, and do a strap around seat bottom rail. it will hold it tightly, but not sure how that would pass tech.
                    You are a gentleman and a scholar. The way I had it mounted in my Miata, there was a metal tray with sides about 1" high mounted to the floor of the trunk. Tray was same size as bottom of ice chest. The chest was held down in the tray by a strap tightened down with a (I don't know what you call it, but it's the same kind of fastener that you use to winch down the straps that hold your car to your trailer -- but much smaller). At one point in time it was mounted the same way to the passenger side floor, but putting it in the trunk is better for weight distribution, putting the weight over the rear wheels.

Threading the hoses into the cabin won't be a big deal. The electrical wiring is a little bit more of a task. In the Miata, I had a variable switch on the dash that allowed me to turn the pump on and off, and the amount of pumping could be varied, but I always left it on "high," so an on off switch would work just as well, assuming you have selected a pump with the right amount of power.

Where do you hook into the electrical system?
                    Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-24-2010, 07:27 AM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

you can wire a switch, power feed from radio positive.

or just wire into the cigarette lighter if you are lazy.

I forgot you have a stripped rear bulkhead for your roll bar, so it might be easy for you to run the tubing through trunk. take a look, and let me know it really is doable ? and does it run through passenger side ? that would be a long route, at least 10 ft of tubing one way.
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

There's an opening where the donut spare tire goes directly into the passenger compartment. I think the hose tubing will be a snap. Just have to wire electrical to the pump in the trunk and the on-off switch that will be on the dash. As you say, the area behind the seats in my S2K is completely stripped and the bulkhead removed for the rollbar.

I still have my cool suit vest with hood. I'll have to get the right pipe fittings to connect to the tubing -- 7s Only used these huge garden hose-sized fittings.

I removed the passenger seat last night. You were right, 4 bolts and 10 minutes (I think you said 5 minutes, but I work slow). Just have to slip the seatbelt through the little opening in the seat belt holder and the seat comes right out. I think it weighs 22-24 lbs. Can't tell exact weight on my crappy bathroom scale.
                        Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Blog - Weekend-Racer.com - Auto Racing Safety Equipment & Performance Parts

diy ice block
                          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                          17 GT350R
                          03 Miata Club Sport
                          96 NSX
                          06 EVO MR
                          15 Mini Cooper S
                          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Bring this one back from the dead for a question...

I going to try this approach for the upcoming Buttonwillow event in June. I just bought myself the Momo Advanced Driver Cooling System shirt (previously 986 Inc.) and I want to make sure the I get the suit to hose adapters correct.
                            How do you measure the size of the flow coupler on the shirt? The linked connectors in the first post have 1/4" coupling size for a 5/16" hose but is this standard for all the suits and particularly this Momo/986 shirt?
                            -Anthony
                            1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
                            2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

I had a little problem with William's DIY cool suit system. Not sure why. Probably because I'm a bumbling mechanical idiot.
                              Last edited by Richard EVO; 05-14-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X