new innovative super lightweight fire extinguisher - 0.6LB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olitho View Post

I too had the same thought. My main question though is if a fuel tank is leaking, will the explosion take a puddle of burning gas under the car and blow it out all over the place into a much wider fire not just underneath the car, but all around it, too?

If it is just a small fuel leak I would think this might work quite well, but on a larger one it could exacerbate the problem.
    I don't think the impact can penetrate the gas tank wall and spread the gas to larger area since the ball is placed out side the gas tank... I can hardly think of any reason that pressure goes into the gas tank mostly...

Comment

Originally posted by wxywb021254 View Post

I don't think the impact can penetrate the gas tank wall and spread the gas to larger area since the ball is placed out side the gas tank... I can hardly think of any reason that pressure goes into the gas tank mostly...
      I am not talking about the unit penetrating the fuel tank. I am concerned with a fuel tank that is already leaking with a large burning puddle underneath the car. And then the extinguisher ball explodes causing the puddle to spray out over a large area surrounding the entire vehicle. It would be like a fuel-air bomb, aka thermobaric - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon
      To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post

I am not talking about the unit penetrating the fuel tank. I am concerned with a fuel tank that is already leaking with a large burning puddle underneath the car. And then the extinguisher ball explodes causing the puddle to spray out over a large area surrounding the entire vehicle. It would be like a fuel-air bomb, aka thermobaric - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon
        If you place the ball above the tank and tank leaks to bottom, I see very little chance the pressure from explosion will be delivered to the puddle. To make it work as you said, you really need to have the explosion happening in the tank or somehow to accelerate all the gas... But since the ball is placed in the car, the surrounding metal should confine the pressure.

Comment

I would mount a ball by my tanks but it is over the max storage temp of the ball. If the styrofoam ball melts then it will leak retardant powder so when the fire charge goes off it goes bang and spreads no powder because there is none.

Comment

Working...
          X