Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new innovative super lightweight fire extinguisher - 0.6LB

https://www.elementfire.com/Default.asp

We saw this product at SEMA. This is a 0.6 pound fire extinguisher. It is so light that it won't ever become a dangerous projectile. It is $80 MSRP, but there is currently (December) a 20% coupon code: ELESEMA2017
    makes it ~$64 shipped.

few important thing particularly in racing imho:

1. superlight. you can use a flashlight mount (off roading), that is doesn't require one of $$$$ quick release mount or stick it in glove compartment for a street car.
    2. superlight. so it won't become a projectile in a crash. This always bothered me when I see them poorly mounted in a car.
    3. it can be held in 1 hand or under armpit. I believe it is important if you ever need to get a driver out or hold a door/hood open with other arm.

I have no affiliation, though we did talk to the owner at SEMA, he is a seasoned endurance racer. Passing the info along because is a great product imo.

** I do not think this satisfy SCCA/NASA handheld fire extinguisher requirement, as it needs to be 2.5LB minimum. in SuperMiata, it is legal, because we require BOTH onboard fire system AND hand held, so this is more likely used to put out other peoples fire, or grass fire, or engine fire.

S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

I just bought one
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

I just bought five model 50"s

Sienna, seat bracket
      GT350, seat bracket
      Truck, seat bracket
      Vegas S1 racecar, carbon bracket
      OGK, roll bar mount
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

That is very cool!

Comment

I bought 2 50s and a roll bar bracket. Not a bad idea to buy a seat bracket for a street car.
          99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
          '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Normal extinguisher you can be many feet away and shoot at the fire's base. It looks like you have to be close to use these sticks? Sometimes you can't approach a fire's base too closely. Is that a problem?

Comment

what percentage of this company do you own, William?
              -Anthony
              1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
              2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

Looks like a cool product, but the video is crazy! Lifting the hood of a car with an engine fire is a bad idea. I have told my wife, if that ever happens to her, let that sucker burn and get away from it!

Comment

Lifting the hood of a car with an engine fire is a bad idea.
                  But a near instantaneous eyebrow and facial hair removal technique.... maybe also get rid of that wrinkled skin she always complains about.

Comment

I know this is an old thread. But this reminds me the AFO/elide fire ball. Anyone thinking about using this in their car? I am thinking this might be a good one besides the gas tank? And it seems to be fine with driver safety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCRJSJPYy2A

I am not saying using this to replace fire suppression system. But might be a good back up.

Comment

Here's a video that is available, and it shows the Element putting out a gasoline fire.

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by wxywb021254 View Post
                        I know this is an old thread. But this reminds me the AFO/elide fire ball. Anyone thinking about using this in their car? I am thinking this might be a good one besides the gas tank? And it seems to be fine with driver safety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCRJSJPYy2A

I am not saying using this to replace fire suppression system. But might be a good back up.
                        It would be a lot lighter than a regular fire bottle and if mounted properly, it would virtually eliminate the issue of fire bottles breaking off their brackets in a crash.

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

There used to be a product like it called fire-foe. It was like a PVC tube with envirogel in it that blew up upon heat. It was for closed boat engine rooms. I think that would be way more user friendly than the 6" ball. I also wonder if the ball is durable. So if I drop a wrench on it do I break the skin and that's that?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCRJSJPYy2A

Here is how the ball works. It is basically a styrofoam ball with fire extinguisher powder in it and a fire cracker to blow it up.

Comment

I too had the same thought. My main question though is if a fuel tank is leaking, will the explosion take a puddle of burning gas under the car and blow it out all over the place into a much wider fire not just underneath the car, but all around it, too?

If it is just a small fuel leak I would think this might work quite well, but on a larger one it could exacerbate the problem.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X