Question about using a cool suit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about using a cool suit

I just bought and installed the MOMO ADC system, and it didn't come with any real instructions. I've got it mounted and all, but here's my question, which applies to any brand of system:

Does it matter which tube (send or return) you plug in to the two fittings on the shirt? Or is it non-polarized, so to speak?

Thanks

Doesn't matter.

Comment

I believe I have the same system, 986, and it doesn't matter. You do want to get as much air out of the shirt and hoses as possible. At the beginning of a weekend I connect the hose to the shirt, lay it on the ground and run the pump until I see only small bubbles in the hose.
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
        Doesn't matter.
        Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
        I believe I have the same system, 986, and it doesn't matter. You do want to get as much air out of the shirt and hoses as possible. At the beginning of a weekend I connect the hose to the shirt, lay it on the ground and run the pump until I see only small bubbles in the hose.
        Thanks guys.

Also I heard the Jedi trick is to use frozen water bottles or ice packs instead of actual ice because they can be refrozen and even removed if the system is too cold.

Comment

Originally posted by agershon View Post
          Thanks guys.

Also I heard the Jedi trick is to use frozen water bottles or ice packs instead of actual ice because they can be refrozen and even removed if the system is too cold.
          Nope just use straight ice in water right in the bucket. You are already carrying water you don't want. You do not want to carry bottles or ice packs you don't use. In fact you need to learn how many oz of water you need to add to how much ice so that at the end of your race you have minimal frozen ice still in your bucket. You don't want to carry around too much ice water. You want to carry what you need. I was never a fan of the bucket that comes with the coolsuit systems. It also works best if you have the right size bucket for what you need. Ice will keep better during the prep phase, slosh less and give you uninterrupted cool, and minimize the volume of what you need to go the distance.

Comment

When I'm racing in the clockwise direction I like my suit to flow counterclockwise to balance things out. And visa versa. Pretty sure it's worth a few tenths.
            99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
            99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

I orient the tank so the pump is toward the front of the car, so it doesn't get starved during turning and braking. I doubt if it makes much difference..

Also, getting a good stream of air onto the driver makes a huge difference. I used to need the coolshirt all the time, even in winter when it was 50F. But this stupid little thing:

lets me avoid the coolshirt when it's 80F or higher. The trick is to get the air flow strong enough so it punches through the suit fabric and evaporates some sweat.

Comment

^^^ Yes, I use a NACA duct in the DS window area to blow air onto my chest/neck and it keeps me cool enough. I didn't realize how much it helped until I was at CVR in the miata that didn't have it and I was much hotter than usual.
                99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
                  But this stupid little thing: lets me avoid the coolshirt when it's 80F or higher.
                  For that one track day each year in SoCal that's under 80!

I keed. Still I hate to think my fancy MOMO system is analogous to 2' of dryer tubing

Comment

Nothing like sitting on the grid with long delay before your race group goes out at Buttonwillow in August when it's 110* in the shade, with your cool suit pumping. Most important thing -- don't just get a cool shirt -- get a vest that has a hood that pumps the cold water through the tubes over your head, under your helmet.
                    Last edited by Richard EVO; 05-07-2015, 09:09 PM.
                    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                      Nothing like sitting on the grid with long delay before your race group goes out at Buttonwillow in August when it's 110* in the shade, with your cool suit pumping. Most important thing -- don't just get a cool shirt -- get a vest that has a hood that pumps the cold water through the tubes over your head under your helmet.
                      ^^^this

I was tempted by the head cooler, but I just went for the MOMO shirt, too. Can always swap in the different shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by agershon View Post
                        ^^^this

I was tempted by the head cooler, but I just went for the MOMO shirt, too. Can always swap in the different shirt.
                        I'm not sure how good the hooded cool shirt works but rumor has it that a new "cool" carbon helmet that "T's" into the existing coolshirt plumbing will be available with new SA2015 cert around October 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                          a new "cool" carbon helmet that "T's" into the existing coolshirt plumbing
                          I like the sound of that.

Comment

Originally posted by redtopz View Post
                            ^^^ Yes, I use a NACA duct in the DS window area to blow air onto my chest/neck and it keeps me cool enough. I didn't realize how much it helped until I was at CVR in the miata that didn't have it and I was much hotter than usual.
                            I also have a naca duct. Problem is if the car in front kicks up a dust by hooking. I get a ton of sand blasted on to my face. I've since closed off the duct. How do u deal with that ?
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by redtopz View Post
                              When I'm racing in the clockwise direction I like my suit to flow counterclockwise to balance things out. And visa versa. Pretty sure it's worth a few tenths.
                              Boooooooooo joke.
                              ~ Jim Tway
                              Tway Motorsports
                              (714) 528-2150
                              #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
                              Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
                              PA Construction
                              American Heritage Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X