Nitro methane in alcohol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitro methane in alcohol

A question for those who know about Nitro methane in alcohol. A friend at work asked me if I knew about this subject. I told him I would ask.

He has a Blown LS1 making 1200 hp on Alcohol. It has all the forged goodies on the inside with 11:1 compression. He was told that as long as keeps the mix at 15% Nitro he should be ok.

Does anyone here know about this type of fuel and fuel mix?
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Originally posted by Gian View Post
    A question for those who know about Nitro methane in alcohol. A friend at work asked me if I knew about this subject. I told him I would ask.

He has a Blown LS1 making 1200 hp on Alcohol. It has all the forged goodies on the inside with 11:1 compression. He was told that as long as keeps the mix at 15% Nitro he should be ok.

Does anyone here know about this type of fuel and fuel mix?
    I don't know anything about alcohol stuff, heck I don't even drink. But I can tell you one thing. I bet that 1200 hp engine lasts about as long as a 500-600 HP Subaru.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
      I don't know anything about alcohol stuff, heck I don't even drink. But I can tell you one thing. I bet that 1200 hp engine lasts about as long as a 500-600 HP Subaru.
      So just long enough to dyno those numbers?
      Do you understand?

Comment

It looks more complex than a simple 15 percent rule of thumb:

Race Fuel - Blending Nitromethane

More results:
        https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ane+in+alcohol
        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
          I don't know anything about alcohol stuff, heck I don't even drink.
          Dear Loser posing as a manly car owner,

Your Corvette ownership is hereby revoked. Please send your car to me and go get a Miata.

Sincerely,

Steve Levin
          President, Chest Hair club for men

Comment

More here:

Nitromethane and Alcohol Fuel Properties
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Isn't that stuff funny car fule?
              If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Comment

It's used for Top Fuel and Funny Cars. I believe they burn 100 percent nitro, but you can add it to fuel and alcohol. Its thermal energy is much higher than gasoline or alcohol. I found this explanation:

Gasoline - Gasoline is what most of our cars came setup so it's usually what we stick with. Gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons. The petroleum distillate fraction termed "gasoline" contains mostly saturated hydrocarbons usually with a chemical formula of C8H18. The air fuel ratio, A/F Ratio, for complete combustion is 14.7:1, stoichiometric. The A/F ratio for maximum power is approximately 12.5:1 - 12.8:1. This means that our engine at max power, 12.8:1, consumes 12.8 pounds of air for 1 pound of fuel. Gasoline has approximately 18,400 BTU/lb . Using the air flow calculator with the default inputs we get our 355 SBC consumes 567.53 cfm @ 6500rpm which is 42.64 pounds of air and consumes 2.89 pounds of fuel. Therefore if we are using gasoline our engine is producing 53,176 BTU's of energy at 6500 rpm.

Alcohol (Methanol) - Alcohol is usually used in the form of Methyl alcohol or methanol. CH3OH is the chemical formula. Methanol burns at a much richer mixture than gasoline does, between 5.0:1 - 6.0:1. That's 5 lbs of air to one pound of fuel. Methanol has approximately 9,500 BTU/lb. Using our 355, example above, SBC consumes 567.53 cfm @ 6500rpm which is 42.64 pounds of air and now at 6.0:1 ratio for Methanol is 7.11 pounds of fuel. Therefore if we are using Methanol fuel our engine is producing 67,545 BTU's of energy at 6500 rpm.

Nitromethane - is a fuel that is used mostly in specialized drag racing classes, "nitro funny cars" and "top fuel". Nitromethane's chemical formula is CH3NO2. The oxygen in nitromethane's molecular structure means that nitromethane does not need as much atmospheric oxygen to burn, part of the oxygen needed to burn nitromethane is carried in the fuel itself. Typical A/F ratio for nitromethane is 1.7:1 and nitromethane has an energy content of 5,000 BTU/lb. Using our 355, example above, SBC consumes 567.53 cfm @ 6500rpm which is 42.64 pounds of air and now at 1.7:1 ratio for nitromethane is 25.08 pounds of fuel. Therefore if we are using Nitromethane fuel our engine is producing 125,412 BTU's of energy at 6500 rpm.

TABLE 1
                Fuel Engine Air Flow (cfm) lbs of air (lbs) A/F Ratio Pounds of Fuel (lbs) Energy Content of Fuel (BTU/lb) Total Thermal Energy (BTU)
                Gasoline 567.53 42.64 12.8:1 2.89 18,500 53,176
                Methanol 567.53 42.64 6.0:1 7.11 9,500 67,545
                Nitromethane 567.53 42.64 1.7:1 25.08 5,000 125,412
                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

I constantly shocked by how amazing gasoline is.

BID

Comment

This motor is in a flat bottom Drag boat. It's funny. Once someone finds out you are a Mechanic they start asking questions about everything, and expect you to know off the top of your head. Like "I have this weird thing that happens when I start my car, do you know what it is?" or "Wow, that's the new mustang. I hear it has 435 hp. Is it true?"
                    My standard answer -- I do not know, but given proper funds I can find out.

It's like the first question when someone see your race car for the first time..... Wow. How fast does it go? My standard answer_ don't know. It doesn't have a speedometer but it seems really really fast... lol
                    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

You know, the same happens to me a lot. I get emails from my wife's colleagues about buying X car vrs Y car just because I'm a "car guy".

Then when their wives find out I am a designer, I suddenly find myself sitting in their living room and they start spreading out swatches and sample books for advice about decorating. Ugh. I tell them I am not "that" kind of designer, but I still get peppered questions about colors and fabrics. "Look, I'm just here for the party/football game/ BBQ." True story.
                      Yer pal,
                      Force

Comment

Originally posted by Gian View Post
                        This motor is in a flat bottom Drag boat. It's funny. Once someone finds out you are a Mechanic they start asking questions about everything, and expect you to know off the top of your head. Like "I have this weird thing that happens when I start my car, do you know what it is?" or "Wow, that's the new mustang. I hear it has 435 hp. Is it true?"
                        My standard answer -- I do not know, but given proper funds I can research that and get you an answer.

It's like the first question when someone see your race car for the first time..... Wow. How fast does it go? My standard answer_ don't know. It doesn't have a speedometer but it seems really really fast... lol
                        Imagine what happens when someone finds out you are a lawyer . . .
                        The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                        1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X