Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

rx8 s2 track survival advice request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by eyeballs View Post

    FWD just doesn't do it for me on track, though I do enjoy it for autocross. The maintenance costs worry me on the bmws, and the entry fee on the rx8 was just too good to pass up. I figure with this one being a series 2 and only having 30k miles on it, I've got a good chance of getting 20-30k more before it needs a new motor if I maintain it properly. If I keep it that long, that should be at least 4 years.
    Wow, you bought a series 2 car with less than 30k miles for less than $5k? Amazing deal. When I was looking they were all much more expensive. All the deals I saw were usually around '04s. Makes me want to start looking again.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

    Comment


    • #17
      I was originally looking at series 1 cars since, like you said, series 2 cars are significantly more expensive. This one had a rebuilt title, looked fantastic (in the photos), and was listed for $6700. The day after I initially spoke with him it was backed into while parked causing minor damage, and price went down from there. On the 11 hr drive home it felt fantasic (and got nearly 20mpg!), though the cd changer doesn't work. Yesterday I found a good oil cooler to replace the imperfect one on the damaged side for $28 shipped.
      '09 rx8 sport

      Comment


      • #18
        He used a BHR radiator, which looks like they don't make anymore either.....but that was before Koyo made one I guess?

        Comment


        • #19
          Finally got it on track last weekend, and it is deceivingly quick. My best time at AMP with my well prepped miata on 205 ad08r's was a 1:40.0. The rx-8 with unknown alignment, unknown street pads, stock suspension, and fresh 215mm 340tw tires easily got into the 1:39s. Only downer is I was getting a major fuel starvation issue on the 4th session of the day, with the guage showing just over half a tank. Can't wait to see what this thing does with a little work.
          '09 rx8 sport

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by eyeballs View Post
            Finally got it on track last weekend, and it is deceivingly quick. My best time at AMP with my well prepped miata on 205 ad08r's was a 1:40.0. The rx-8 with unknown alignment, unknown street pads, stock suspension, and fresh 215mm 340tw tires easily got into the 1:39s. Only downer is I was getting a major fuel starvation issue on the 4th session of the day, with the guage showing just over half a tank. Can't wait to see what this thing does with a little work.
            I'd call that a success.

            I've been talking to a number of people who race these cars and they all rave endlessly about how good the chassis is. And if you think about it, have you ever seen an RX-8 out of shape at the track? In photos? In videos? I never have.

            The fuel starvation thing appears to be common. The Robert Davis Racing guys use an auxiliary tank, which is cylindrical so fuel slosh isn't a problem. The saddle tank and pump provide fuel to the auxiliary tank, which provides the pressurized fuel to the injectors. No more starvation. That might be tough to do on a dual-use car. Best just to keep it topped off at the track.
            www.TrackHQ.com

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
              have you ever seen an RX-8 out of shape at the track? In photos? In videos?
              Funny you mention that. My wife spun off in the first session of the day. Temps were probably still below freezing, and she over corrected as the car got a little loose out of a corner putting her into a comfy dirt area off track.
              '09 rx8 sport

              Comment


              • #22
                If RX-8s don't all fuel starve, try replacing the sock on the end of the fuel pickup.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by eyeballs View Post
                  Funny you mention that. My wife spun off in the first session of the day. Temps were probably still below freezing, and she over corrected as the car got a little loose out of a corner putting her into a comfy dirt area off track.
                  There's always someone out there lurking, itching to prove me wrong.
                  www.TrackHQ.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X