Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

What oil to use for my new Carbonetics Carbon LSD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil to use for my new Carbonetics Carbon LSD?

I recently got a new diff with Carbonetics Carbon LSD and I'm trying to figure out the best oil to use:

-Carbonetics has its own oil 85w/90
    Kinda want to try their own oil to discover the way that Carbonetics designed the LSD to work but scared of how thin the oil is; will this oil be too thin for heavy track use??

-My diff builder suggested me to use Amsoil Sever Gear Oil 75w/110 or 75w/140
    Will I be able to feel any difference between the 110 and 140 weight?
    Should I go for 110 or 140 and why??

-I used to run Redline Shockproof 75w/140 to better protect my stock diff; should I continue to use this oil or it is too thick for my new application?

FYI, I used the regular Redline GL-5 75/140 during break-in and I need to do another oil change before the first track day on this diff coming this weekend!

Looking forward to all your inputs guys, thx =)
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

fwiw, with the BMW e36 LSDs a lot of track guys use 75w90. I'm using 75w90 Severe Gear. No probs so far.

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
      fwiw, with the BMW e36 LSDs a lot of track guys use 75w90. I'm using 75w90 Severe Gear. No probs so far.
      After doing a bunch of reading about this, the 'supposed' correct weight for the E36 M3 LSD is 75w140. I just filled with Motul Competition FF (crazy looking blue color) and will find out this weekend if it did anything good or bad.

Comment

I have an ATS Carbon LSD and ran NEO 75w140 for break-in and the first couple track days I did with the diff and now run Mobil 1 75w140 with Sta-Lube Equa-Torque friction modifier. Differential is buttery-smooth.
        Steve C.
        1992 Nissan 240SX
        Sub-2200lbs, stock with bolt-ons, Blackbird cage
        1998 BMW M3/4/5 Bostongrun/Modena 62k miles

Comment

Depends on your diff temps/how hot it gets. For 20min sessions 90weight oil probably would be fine, but I might suggest changing the fluid more often. What is the recommended break-in procedure for the carbonetic/when to change the oil for the first time?

Comment

I'm using Redline lightweight Shockproof with mine but thats mainly because its a transaxle setup, not just the diff. Didn't get enough time on the diff to really compare it to the stock fluid that I used for break-in though before the motor let go. I also "softened" the diff a little and deactivated one clutch plate on each side. I'll experiment more with different fluids when its back together.
            AJ - Akua Solutions - #128 Lotus Exige - MonkeyWrench Racing - Carbonetic - Innovative Mounts - Toyo Tires - JRZ Suspension - TW Research Development

Comment

KAAZ has a good writeup on why one should only use their brand of oil (convinced me to buy it at $50/quart or something crazy) KAAZ Gear Oil, I'm sure Carbonetics has their own reasons, especially if their plates are "carbon" or have some other interesting property?

Comment

Originally posted by pucsicsal View Post
                KAAZ has a good writeup on why one should only use their brand of oil (convinced me to buy it at $50/quart or something crazy) KAAZ Gear Oil, I'm sure Carbonetics has their own reasons, especially if their plates are "carbon" or have some other interesting property?
                Yeah, I pay about the same for OS Giken oil for my OSG diff. Not cheap but neither was the diff.
                Last edited by Red_5; 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM.
                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                  Yeah, I pay about the same for OS Giken oil for my OSG diff. Not cheap but neither was the diff.
                  Does your diff chatter on tight corners in a parkinglot? Did you change the configuration atall or install it out of the box?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
                    Does your diff chatter on tight corners in a parkinglot? Did you change the configuration atall or install it out of the box?
                    Stock setup on ~135whp Miata. It did chatter with other oils. I've had it for nearly 3 years so that was before OSG oil was available here. I've never noticed chatter on track, only street/paddock.
                    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
                      Depends on your diff temps/how hot it gets. For 20min sessions 90weight oil probably would be fine, but I might suggest changing the fluid more often. What is the recommended break-in procedure for the carbonetic/when to change the oil for the first time?
                      from what I know s2k diff gets real hot cuz we only got 1 qt of fluid - tiny housing

the recommended break-in procedure is 20 mins figure 8, and change fluid after 300 miles

I just purchased some Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 like how my builder suggested me, will put it in the diff tonight and try it out this weekend

what is your recommendation Billy?
                      As much as I want performance I also want good protection for the diff/ drivetrain so I guess I prefer heavier fluid than thin

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Comment

Originally posted by momofoolio View Post
                        from what I know s2k diff gets real hot cuz we only got 1 qt of fluid - tiny housing

the recommended break-in procedure is 20 mins figure 8, and change fluid after 300 miles

I just purchased some Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 like how my builder suggested me, will put it in the diff tonight and try it out this weekend

what is your recommendation Billy?
                        As much as I want performance I also want good protection for the diff/ drivetrain so I guess I prefer heavier fluid than thin
                        The best thing to do is to throw a temp sensor in your drain plug and monitor your temps and go from there. If your temps are cool, then you can get away with 90W oil no problem. If they go through the roof and see high 200's-low 300's (not good) then 140W will protect you much better.

As far as brands go, each brand has different friction modifiers which will affect the mu/friction/bite of the clutch plates. The clutch plate design and material varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so unfortunately its probably a trial and error process. More friction modifier = more slip = smoother engagement, but too much might (probably rare and doubt it would happen) would cause the clutch plates to slip too much and not engage = inside wheel spin.

The more you track your car, the more frequent I would change the diff fluid. It's only 1qt. I wouldn't go 20-50K miles on the same fluid for most of you guys.

Billy

Comment

Got ya Billy! I will try out different fluid through out the year then~
                          Typically I change diff fluid every 3 track days!!

Comment

Working...
                          X