Hoooowling!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoooowling!

sooo my diff started with a small howl and now its pretty loud! checked to make sure it wasnt any bearings and it seems to be coming from the pumpkin! the thing is, wen i search for things on the s2k forums everyone talks about noise while the diff is under load! mine makes the most noise wen its not under load! wat can it be? 90k miles on the car. should i be shopping for a new diff?
    Jairo "Hido" J

Gamble It Films!
    http://www.GambleItFilms.blogspot.com

Emilio has a brand new os giken for s2000 in his shop.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

try changing the fluid 1st... It'll save you couple hundred dollars if thats all that is needed...
      -MattDennison
      Road///RaceEngineering - FederalTires - ROBISPEC /// - OdysseyBatteries - ACT - SPY+optics

Comment

changed the fluid already, still howling. how much is he willin to sell that thing for? is it a 1.5 way? jairo on andres' account again

Comment

Originally posted by andresj View Post
          changed the fluid already, still howling. how much is he willin to sell that thing for? is it a 1.5 way? jairo on andres' account again
          My guess is $1520. + tax. Price increased about 6 months ago.

http://949racing.com/osgikenlimitedslip.aspx

e
          99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
          '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
            My guess is $1520. + tax. Price increased about 6 months ago.

http://949racing.com/osgikenlimitedslip.aspx

e
            Throwing in an LSD is going to solve the fact that he needs a new diff?

Or are you guys telling him to get an LSD on top of the cost of another diff?
            Do you understand?

Comment

The Kaaz LSD is just as good as the OS Giken and costs about $500 less.
              The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
              1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
              2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
              2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                The Kaaz LSD is just as good as the OS Giken and costs about $500 less.
                Haven't we had this coversation before? The only comparison test that I've seen had the OS Giken come out on top. If you have proof let's hear it.

e
                Last edited by Red_5; 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                  Haven't we had this coversation before? There only comparison test that I've seen had the OS Giken come out on top. If you have proof let's hear it.

e
                  I don't need no stinkin' proof. I got a BADGE.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                  2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                  2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by tq3z View Post
                    Throwing in an LSD is going to solve the fact that he needs a new diff?

Or are you guys telling him to get an LSD on top of the cost of another diff?
                    I have no idea what he needs. I was merely answering his question about how much do we think Emilio would sell one for. Since he's a dealer, I'm guessing list price.

e

Comment

I don't need no stinkin' proof. I got a BADGE.
                      It's good to learn from your past mistakes.

e

Comment

The Kaaz LSD worked very well in my Miata, a great improvement over the Torsen, which was pretty much worthless. Is the OS Giken worth the extra money over the Kaaz? I doubt it; they work pretty much the same way and are both quality pieces. Can I prove it to a mechanical engineer? No, but I don't have to.

If you have to spend more money on everything to believe you are getting the best, then go for it.

Comment

from the reviews I've seen and the people I've talked to that have used and tested both the Giken is a superior unit. Hence the reason my car is sidelined for 2 months while I wait for one right now
                          AJ - Akua Solutions - #128 Lotus Exige - MonkeyWrench Racing - Carbonetic - Innovative Mounts - Toyo Tires - JRZ Suspension - TW Research Development

Comment

Originally posted by zjchaser View Post
                            from the reviews I've seen and the people I've talked to that have used and tested both the Giken is a superior unit. Hence the reason my car is sidelined for 2 months while I wait for one right now
                            Did a Kaaz fail on you?

Comment

Did a Kaaz fail on you?
                              no, 3rd gear failed. I've also driven a lotus with a giken and loved it so thats what I'm going with.
                              AJ - Akua Solutions - #128 Lotus Exige - MonkeyWrench Racing - Carbonetic - Innovative Mounts - Toyo Tires - JRZ Suspension - TW Research Development

Comment

Working...
                              X