Need a new floor jack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new floor jack

I'm looking for some recommendations for aluminum floor jacks. I have a Big Red aluminum jack that I take to the track. Well, I used to take it to the track before it broke. Again.

Over the weekend, my jack broke when I loaned it to a guy pitted next to me whose jack had failed on him. This is the second time the Big Red had failed in the year-and-a-half I've owned it, and I've never lifted anything heavier than half a Miata with it. I've had it repaired once, left several messages with Big Red in Ontario, Calif., requesting customer service and have heard nothing back from them. It has been a really lousy ownership experience.

The irony is the guy who borrowed mine, whose jack quit on him, also had a Big Red jack.

So in addition to warning people not to buy Big Red jacks, I'm looking for recommendations on good aluminum jacks. I want lightweight, quick pumping action and durability. Price should be reasonable, no more or not much more than $200.

Can anyone recommend something?
    www.TrackHQ.com

Stilll using the same one here from harbor freight. http://www.trackhq.com/forums/showth...ght=floor+jack

I'm pretty sure somewhere you can find a coupon for it for like $65 right now. I might be getting a second one if I find the coupon.....ok ya apparently the $30 off coupon is in the back of car and driver mag.
    Last edited by zjchaser; 10-12-2009, 11:27 AM.
    AJ - Akua Solutions - #128 Lotus Exige - MonkeyWrench Racing - Carbonetic - Innovative Mounts - Toyo Tires - JRZ Suspension - TW Research Development

Comment

I have a Torin aluminum racing jack, and its great. Very light weight and dependable. I've been using it for about 5 years and I go to the track more than almost anybody. Costs more than a big red, but worth it.
      The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
      1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
        I have a Torin aluminum racing jack, and its great. Very light weight and dependable. I've been using it for about 5 years and I go to the track more than almost anybody. Costs more than a big red, but worth it.
        I just searched the Torin jacks and they came up with Torin Big Red jacks. Are they the same?

http://www.torinjacks.com/ProductLis...on=Type&Type=9

I need an aluminum jack as well so this is good. I've been considering the Harbor freight or I see Costco has an aluminum Torin that looks similar to the HF.

Sorry, I couldn't make the Costco link work but it's on their site.

e
        99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
        '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

This one is similar to what I have, I think. I guess Torin makes big red, but I'm not talking about big red, which is a cheaper product.
          The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
          1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
          2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
          2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

That's the one I've been looking at for a while now. I guess I'll get it from good ole Costco.

e
            99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
            '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

theres also a coupon for the harbor freight jack in Honda Tuning which makes it $59.99
              kenchimsg.wordpress.com

Comment

Racing Jack

I just went through my 2nd pep boys jack so I bought a craftsman jack from Sears. it is a little bigger but great for a Corvette, seems to be really strong and well built. 1 year warranty and about $200.

Not showing on their web site right now for some reason.

I think it is a 4 ton jack.
                Corvette Specialty C6
                Life is like a race, the best times win!

Comment

I am curious...when you said 'broke', the piston moves but jack doesn't stay up at all or the piston doesn't move at all?

Reason I asked is recently my US General piece started leaking and I thought it's a goner. No one wants to jack up a car with a leaking piston, that's for sure.

So I used the HF coupon and bought another one. However, I can't stand throwing the old jack away, so I ended up rebuilding it with new o-rings etc. Now it's working like new again and I have two jacks...

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                  I'm looking for some recommendations for aluminum floor jacks. I have a Big Red aluminum jack that I take to the track. Well, I used to take it to the track before it broke. Again.
                  Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
                  Supercharged E46 M54B25.
                  2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by vetteguy2005 View Post
                    I just went through my 2nd pep boys jack so I bought a craftsman jack from Sears. it is a little bigger but great for a Corvette, seems to be really strong and well built. 1 year warranty and about $200.

Not showing on their web site right now for some reason.

I think it is a 4 ton jack.
                    if its the aluminum one beware of the universal joint breaking. I've seen about 4 of them break now. Then you have to use pliers to turn the shaft to release or hold the pressure.

Its a nice jack with a fast first pump but that damn joint breaks on a bunch of them.
                    AJ - Akua Solutions - #128 Lotus Exige - MonkeyWrench Racing - Carbonetic - Innovative Mounts - Toyo Tires - JRZ Suspension - TW Research Development

Comment

one solution is to buy from Costco. Costco has that unlimited warranty. keep the box and receipt. you can return it for refund 10 years from now.
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by zjchaser View Post
                        Stilll using the same one here from harbor freight. http://www.trackhq.com/forums/showth...ght=floor+jack

I'm pretty sure somewhere you can find a coupon for it for like $65 right now. I might be getting a second one if I find the coupon.....ok ya apparently the $30 off coupon is in the back of car and driver mag.
                        AJ just a thought 4 u. if u are planing on installing side skirts, u might want to get the 2.5inch low profile jack with a deeper reach. I'm having clearance issue with mine after the side skirts. its a pita to drive on blocks each time coming into the pits.

Comment

I got a U.S. General race floor jack from Harbor Freight for $59.99. The coupons are on most popular car magazines.
                          Raceline USA

Comment

Working...
                          X