X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olitho
    started a topic $50 280 ft/lb 1/2" Cordless Impact Drivers at Pep Boys

$50 280 ft/lb 1/2" Cordless Impact Drivers at Pep Boys

I went into Pep Boys tonight to buy a new Allegheny 1/2" battery powered impact driver. I use one at the track for changing wheels, brake pads, etc.

I wanted an extra battery. Those are only $32 each which is not bad for a 24v battery. Well, it appears they have some special pricing on those units as I was able to buy a whole new one with case, battery, charger and impact driver for $50.

These are one of the more powerful units available. I have used the 18v 200 ft/lb units from Harbor Freight and the Goodyear units from Pep Boys. These units spin a little faster than the Allegheny, but the power of the Allegheny is a plus for removing lugnuts at times.

I don't think the Allegheny unit holds a charge quite as good as the other units though. If you get one make sure you charge it before you go. They seem to lose charge in a couple of weeks that the others don't. The problem seems to be exacerbated if you keep the battery in he impact driver. Charge it and keep it separate until you get to the track. RichardEvo has one too, and I think his works well for him.

A full charge should be good for mounting and dismounting three or more full sets of wheels on a weekend if your lug torque is at 90 lbs or less.

Oli

• Red_5
    replied
    Originally posted by MrHeeltoe View Post
    Am I the only one that wants my ish to last 10 years?
    I agree but I've had more issues w/ more expensive tools than I have with HF tools. Pretty much all non-professional power tool are made in China anyways. I bought the corded electric impact from HF and it's no slouch. My only complaint is it's lack variable speed.

e

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    The one I have now is made by a company called "Great Neck" and I think I bought it at Pep Boys. It is sturdier than the Goodyear and Allegheny models, and the battery lasts longer too. I recommend the Great Neck cordless impact wrench.

Leave a comment:

• MrHeeltoe
    replied
    Am I the only one that wants my ish to last 10 years?

Leave a comment:

• confusedxpanda
    replied
    have any of you guys had any experience with the harbor freight "Chicago Electric" cordless 1/2" impact wrench? I was at HF and was taking a look at it but didn't want to buy it without some feedback from others.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• 600RR_Rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by Olitho View Post
    Like I said, just buy be a decent lunch at BW, WSIR or ACS. I won't eat the free SV pizza.
    DEAL!

PS. You going to BW on 8/2?

Leave a comment:

• Olitho
    replied
    Originally posted by 600RR_Rocket View Post
    Assuming Oli sells me his Allegheny batteries for cheap, I'll run my unit until it dies.

Like I said, just buy be a decent lunch at BW, WSIR or ACS. I won't eat the free SV pizza.

Leave a comment:

• 600RR_Rocket
    replied
    Tom and William, good points. Assuming Oli sells me his Allegheny batteries for cheap, I'll run my unit until it dies. THEN, I'll consider getting a nicer one.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    Originally posted by bikeindirt View Post
    I have one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-DW059K-2-...3A1%7C294%3A50 don't know if this add is a good deal on it...so shop around.

Emilio and I got these ~4 years ago (maybe???) and I have been kicking it's butt on a regular basis, and it's been laughing at me (can't speak to Emilio's experience, but last time I was @ his shop it was sitting on his workbench)

I know it's more than 70 bucks, but you guys are ready to spend another $70 on a second purchase and when you get your 3rd purchase this will seem like a bargain.

BID
    +1.
    since battery always dies before the impact wrench. it is more important how many batteries you are getting vs. how many impact wrench you are buying. so at regular price of $70 each, equivalent of 2 batteries would be $140. not a lot cheaper than Dewalt at $220, especially Dewalt batteries also last more than twice as long.

Leave a comment:

• vetteguy2005
    replied
    I had an allegheny and it died quickly, I was not happy with it and your right Pep boys could not help out.

I bought a Dewalt and although it is not cheap they are wonderful.

The battery last for ever it seems and you get two batteries when you buy the wrench.

I storngly recommend paying a little more and getting a good one.

Their batteries switch to other tools as well if you need a saws all or other Dewalt tools.

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    Originally posted by Olitho View Post
    For a decent lunch at a track day I think I will give one motor unit and charger to Mr. Evo and a battery plus charger to you.
    The lunch is yours, consider it done, thanks.

And that is how it is.....
    Oli
    Don't you mean "And that's the way it is" ?
    I guess that's the old Republican adage: "close enough for government work . . ."

Leave a comment:

• bikeindirt
    replied
    I have one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-DW059K-2-...3A1%7C294%3A50 don't know if this add is a good deal on it...so shop around.

Emilio and I got these ~4 years ago (maybe???) and I have been kicking it's butt on a regular basis, and it's been laughing at me (can't speak to Emilio's experience, but last time I was @ his shop it was sitting on his workbench)

I know it's more than 70 bucks, but you guys are ready to spend another $70 on a second purchase and when you get your 3rd purchase this will seem like a bargain.

BID

Leave a comment:

• Olitho
    replied
    After having used the Allegheny for 1.5 years, the Goodyear and Harbor Freight model for about the same amount of time I have come to the conclusion that the Allegheny advertises a higher torque rating, but it does not spin the nuts as fast and the battery does not last nearly as long.

While the battery pack on the Allegheny is physically larger, it does not weigh as much which leads me to believe their is less Al Gore horrifying lead and other toxics in that pack. I bought two units and an extra battery pack to combat this. I also broke two units in that period of time, but I managed to get them exchanged. For a decent lunch at a track day I think I will give one motor unit and charger to Mr. Evo and a battery plus charger to you. That will leave me with an extra battery for the highest bidder.

I think the Goodyear unit and HF units are pretty comparable. It would not surprise me to find the mechanisms are made in the same factory. I think I will check out battery prices and availability for both and make my decision on that. I always like to have an extra battery charging.

And that is how it is.....

Oli

Leave a comment:

• 600RR_Rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by 600RR_Rocket View Post
    My battery on the Allegheny just completely died. Need to buy a new one. Anyone know where I can get one? I did a search and can only find them on eBay. $20 + $6 shipping. That's like half of what I bought the impact driver for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALLEGHENY-CO...QQcmdZViewItem
    Crap...the eBay one is a 19.2V, not a 24V. I couldn't find the battery anywhere online, and I called a couple local Pep Boys and they all said the Allegheny has been discontinued. One store employee said it's because they weren't selling well. Great...

So...looks like Richard and I are in the same boat. Any recommendations for a value-driven battery powered impact driver?

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    My Alleghney impact wrench broke this week. I think I got about 1 1/2 years use out of it, so not bad for about $70. I will try to find another one for a good price and keep the old battery so that I have 2 batteries. These cheapo things don't last forever.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X