$50 280 ft/lb 1/2" Cordless Impact Drivers at Pep Boys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $50 280 ft/lb 1/2" Cordless Impact Drivers at Pep Boys

I went into Pep Boys tonight to buy a new Allegheny 1/2" battery powered impact driver. I use one at the track for changing wheels, brake pads, etc.

I wanted an extra battery. Those are only $32 each which is not bad for a 24v battery. Well, it appears they have some special pricing on those units as I was able to buy a whole new one with case, battery, charger and impact driver for $50.

These are one of the more powerful units available. I have used the 18v 200 ft/lb units from Harbor Freight and the Goodyear units from Pep Boys. These units spin a little faster than the Allegheny, but the power of the Allegheny is a plus for removing lugnuts at times.

I don't think the Allegheny unit holds a charge quite as good as the other units though. If you get one make sure you charge it before you go. They seem to lose charge in a couple of weeks that the others don't. The problem seems to be exacerbated if you keep the battery in he impact driver. Charge it and keep it separate until you get to the track. RichardEvo has one too, and I think his works well for him.

A full charge should be good for mounting and dismounting three or more full sets of wheels on a weekend if your lug torque is at 90 lbs or less.

Oli

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

koo thnx! gonna have to check it out!
    Jairo "Hido" J

Gamble It Films!
    http://www.GambleItFilms.blogspot.com

Comment

I have the same unit! I got mine for $50 (plus $10 rebate) at Pep Boys a while back.

Everything about it is great EXCEPT for the battery. It used to hold its charge well, but after XX number of trackdays, the battery doesn't hold its charge as well. Time for a new battery...

Comment

I have one of these too and it is sturdier and has lasted longer than the Goodyear one I and another one that ran off the car battery that didn't survive very long.

If you don't have an impact wrench, $50 is a great deal for the Allegheny.
        The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
        1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

is this a special deal or are they always this cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by Clem Kevin View Post
            is this a special deal or are they always this cheap?
            I think they are normally $79.

Comment

Iv been looking into an impact driver to take off lug nuts... i might have to look into this now. Thanks!

-Charles
              92 Civic Si #43 RTA 3rd Place Overall SFWD West 2009 http://charlesctran.blogspot.com
              Sponsors: Special Projects MS, PC-I, MOTUL Lubricants, Toyo Tires, Plan:B Motorsports, Carbotech Brakes

Comment

beat me to the post charles!
                Sponsors: Special Projects Motorsports, Pro Car Innovations, Innovative Mounts, Amsoil, Spy Optic, LighterFaster.com, Fluid, Akom Racing.

Comment

The only downside is the Allegheny battery doesn't last very long. You need to recharge it a lot -- you're better off if you get a second battery (I don't have one but I wish I did). But as Oli says, this is about 2/3 of the normal price and so a very good deal.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                  2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                  2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Picked one up today along with a set of impact sockets!

Comment

My battery on the Allegheny just completely died. Need to buy a new one. Anyone know where I can get one? I did a search and can only find them on eBay. $20 + $6 shipping. That's like half of what I bought the impact driver for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALLEGHENY-CO...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I have gotten them at Pep Boys for around $32 as I recall and $29 on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
                          I have gotten them at Pep Boys for around $32 as I recall and $29 on sale.
                          Thanks for the info Oli! Maybe I'll just get one on Ebay then for $26 shipped. Cheers!

Comment

My Alleghney impact wrench broke this week. I think I got about 1 1/2 years use out of it, so not bad for about $70. I will try to find another one for a good price and keep the old battery so that I have 2 batteries. These cheapo things don't last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by 600RR_Rocket View Post
                              My battery on the Allegheny just completely died. Need to buy a new one. Anyone know where I can get one? I did a search and can only find them on eBay. $20 + $6 shipping. That's like half of what I bought the impact driver for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALLEGHENY-CO...QQcmdZViewItem
                              Crap...the eBay one is a 19.2V, not a 24V. I couldn't find the battery anywhere online, and I called a couple local Pep Boys and they all said the Allegheny has been discontinued. One store employee said it's because they weren't selling well. Great...

So...looks like Richard and I are in the same boat. Any recommendations for a value-driven battery powered impact driver?

Comment

Working...
                              X