What Kind of Motor Oil Are You Using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind of Motor Oil Are You Using?

I was just curious and wanted to see what everyone is using on his or her car. I've been using Motul and Royal Purple.
    Raceline USA

I use full synthetic 20/50 or 15/50. Brand doesn't matter, oil is oil.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

I use mostly Mobil 1, they are cheap at Costco.

agree with Richard. oil is oil. when was last time you heard of an engine failure because they ran wrong brand of oil or even wrong viscosity. I am not sure synthetic is needed. I ran synthetic mainly for extended interval.

Rob will chime in, don't think he runs synthetic.
      Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-05-2008, 01:08 PM.
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Mobil1.
        "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

Comment

I have used a variety of oils. My experience is that Redline race oil runs the coolest (using 50wt race oil in a rotary engine), while Valvoline VR1 (non-synthetic) maintains the best oil pressure.

There are lots of very detailed discussions about dino vs synthetic and more which I will try and find. I would recommend that if you are running high oil temps (280+) that using a synthetic would be alot safer as they will not break down the same way a dino oil will at extreme heat.

EDIT: Here is about the most comprehensive information on engine oil that I have ever seen: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hakeem; 09-05-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

i put Castrol Syntec 0w30 (german formula) in the engine. this stuff is gold .

for the tranny, i use torco RGO with type F lsd additive. that stuff is also very good.
            kenchimsg.wordpress.com

Comment

been using castrol syntec 0w-30 since it came on the scene. it used to be porsche approved but not anymore. these are old pics but you get the idea. there isnt an "energy conserving" label b/c it is an ACEA A3 oil for high performance engines and extended drain intervals. bmw hp 5w-30 is another oil with similar specs to syntec 0w-30.

1994 honda civic ex DOHC Vtec

Comment

Mobil One 10W-30 Synthetic. You can buy 5qt containers at Walmart for $25. Perfect quantity for the S2000.

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                  Rob will chime in, don't think he runs synthetic.
                  I run the cheapest crap I can find in 5w30. I got a deal on chevron and shell for 80 cents a quart after rebate.

No, I don't have an oil cooler
                  Yes, my miata's oil temps are insanely high
                  No, I don't care
                  Yes, I know I am a moron

I change oil & filter every 4-5,000 miles if I feel like it.

65 track days and still running strong!

Your mileage may most definately vary.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                    I run the cheapest crap I can find in 5w30. I got a deal on chevron and shell for 80 cents a quart after rebate.

No, I don't have an oil cooler
                    Yes, my miata's oil temps are insanely high
                    No, I don't care
                    Yes, I know I am a moron

I change oil & filter every 4-5,000 miles if I feel like it.

65 track days and still running strong!

Your mileage may most definately vary.
                    You know as well as I that Miatas run on hopes and dreams. Day run on veggie-table oil, kerosine, or bleech. You might not get the same reliability/results with a different higher-strung car...

...4 miatas and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
                      You know as well as I that Miatas run on hopes and dreams. Day run on veggie-table oil, kerosine, or bleech. You might not get the same reliability/results with a different higher-strung car...

Miata's rock. If it was a car that had an expensive engine, I would be playing this a LITTLE differently

Or once this one goes bang, the next one will get at least a cooler...

Until then, my miata is my biyatch!

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
                        is that how many Miatas u've crashed ?
                        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                        17 GT350R
                        03 Miata Club Sport
                        96 NSX
                        06 EVO MR
                        15 Mini Cooper S
                        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Oh snap!

Comment

Rob, I think if your Miata was running on lower temperature, it may have a little more performance. I use to have a Mazda3 that I frequently track, first oil change was mobile 1 and it had 7-8 track days with no problem, the next oil change I decided to be cheap and got just regular mobile oil and went on to SOW, the motor blew right at the bow. From that day on, all my car get is syntetec.

Comment

Those were totals. Doesn't count for the crashes that needed to replace fenders, get the frame straightened.... Salvageable

Comment

Working...
                              X