X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red_5
    started a topic What's decent welder for the enthusiast

What's decent welder for the enthusiast

Since I took a MIG welding class and MMW is too far away for me to use their facility, I'm thinking about getting a MIG welder. My friend who took the MMW class a couple of years ago bought a multi-welder that came prepared to do MIG and stick but could also do TIG with extra parts. The welder, gas and tank, wire . . . was all less than $1k not including the parts for TIG welding. He's had good luck with it working on his Jeep Cherokee - replacing floor panels and such. I really don't know much about this so any thoughts on the matter would be great.

Edit: My friend has a Tweco 141i
    Last edited by Red_5; 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM.

• Red_5
    replied
    Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    My new place of work has a Miller 212 and a Diversion 180. People who picked them know a heck of a lot more than me about welding. Electricity is still being installed for that part of the shop but I should be trying them out soon on some race car parts.
    We also got a Hypertherm Powermax45 XP plasma cutter hooked up to 480V with a cnc table that I'm a little scared.
    As I mentioned above, the Diversion 180 is on my list. What I think is pretty cool though is the ability to also MIG with the spoon gun on the Sychrowave 210. I (we) already have a MIG machine so maybe that means the Diversion 180 should be the one to get since it costs less to start and has a better rebate currently. I don't think you can stick weld with the Diversion 180, not that I know how to do that now anyway.
    Last edited by Red_5; 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KJSCV
    replied
    Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
    I have too much else to do first. Maybe I'll try to fabricate a welding table instead.
    Welding table is supposed to be the second project...lol

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    We also got a Hypertherm Powermax45 XP plasma cutter hooked up to 480V with a cnc table that I'm a little scared.
    I nominate you to be the guy who cuts out all our wings struts. All in favor say "I"...

Leave a comment:

• b3d3g1
    replied
    My new place of work has a Miller 212 and a Diversion 180. People who picked them know a heck of a lot more than me about welding. Electricity is still being installed for that part of the shop but I should be trying them out soon on some race car parts.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    I've only used my 211 a couple of times so far but have been happy with it. I think Miller currently has new rebates on the 211.

I just took a TIG class so now I'm dreaming of a TIG machine. Other than the Lincoln Squarewave 200, the Miller Syncrowave 210 looks interesting because it does AC/DC TIG and will do MIG with the included spoolgun. It also currently has a $300 rebate.

Leave a comment:

• Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
    replied
    Eric - Thoughts on the 211 since the purchase?

I've been "In the market" for a welder for the better part of a year but haven't pulled the trigger. I've been considering the 230v Lincoln 180 (~$650) as it looks like it does everything I'm after and seems similar to the Miller 211 (minus the dual voltage option). Lincoln also offers the 180 dual voltage similarly priced to the Miller 211. Both are about double of the single voltage 230V unit price.

I’m a novice welder. I’ve borrowed my friends cheapo flux core welder and have used it enough to know I want something better. My needs are fairly simple: mostly thin wall steel with an ambition on doing some aluminum. Simple bracketry, etc.

Seems like the 180 is a good welder for the price if dual voltage isn’t a requirement. Anything I’m missing?

Spec on Lincoln 180 here:
    MIG-PakĀ® 180 Welder

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    For about the same money as the Miller Diversion 180, I can buy the Lincoln TIG Squarewave 200.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...welder-k5126-1

From this comparison of features the Lincoln seems like the better bet.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...compare/index/

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    Assuming a modern TIG of good quality like millers and lincolns whatever you buy it is not the machine it is the person doing the welding. I would select a machine for the 90th percentile of what you want to weld.

Leave a comment:

• Stanford
    replied
    I've been thinking about getting a TIG welder as well and have heard good things about the Alpha TIG 200: https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-.../dp/B00EL8UQH4. Price seems right and the miataturbo guys seem to think highly of them.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    I'm about to take a TIG class and have been dreaming of a TIG welder. Until the end of March Miller has ~$700 rebate on their Diversion 180 TIG machine. Has anyone used it? It seems to have good reviews.

https://store.cyberweld.com/mitigwedi180.html

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    ^^Wow, that's really cheap. Cyberweld.com was selling 80 cu ft cylinders full for about $250 so I figured this price wasn't horrible considering they're the only game in town. Plus Praxair doesn't seem to have an 80 cu ft size but I could have missed that. I'll look into having the tank filled elsewhere but I'm not sure it will be worth the trouble. I'd like to get a pure argon tank at some point too for MIG welding aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• 2GRX7
    replied
    Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
    After spending way too much time thinking about it, I finally settled on a 141 cu ft cylinder from my local Praxair. Empty cylinder was $300, fill was $55 add tax and fees it was $396 total. At Praxair the 141 cu ft cylinder was $50 more than the next size down 90 cu ft. 90 cu ft bottles are $40 or $45 to fill so I figured I'd get the bigger bottle and pay less for gas over time. The 141 bottle is the same diameter as the 90 just taller and it seems to fit well in the Miller cart.

Man, this welding thing is expensive to get started!
    141 cu ft new/filled here in Orlando = $211.00! Refills = $20.00 at Matheson Gas! I know Matheson is over there in LA as I used them religiously over the Airgas/Praxairs. Seriously, may want to consider heading down to L.A. and visit friends while getting that tank refilled- even with the So. Cal lux tax, that 20bux you save can go in the gas tank (That's, what, 3-5 gal?).

Also try these guys;

Mobile Industrial Supply

After finding these smaller shops, I couldn't help but think that the guys at the local AirGas location were nickering behind my back after every sale!
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 04-19-2017, 06:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    After spending way too much time thinking about it, I finally settled on a 141 cu ft cylinder from my local Praxair. Empty cylinder was $300, fill was $55 add tax and fees it was $396 total. At Praxair the 141 cu ft cylinder was $50 more than the next size down 90 cu ft. 90 cu ft bottles are $40 or $45 to fill so I figured I'd get the bigger bottle and pay less for gas over time. The 141 bottle is the same diameter as the 90 just taller and it seems to fit well in the Miller cart.

Man, this welding thing is expensive to get started!

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Originally posted by albertg View Post
    Eric, I think you are supposed to make your welder cart as your first project, not buy it.
    I have too much else to do first. Maybe I'll try to fabricate a welding table instead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X