Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13.84whp gain from K&N Filter - MotoIQ Project E90 M3

Hey guys,

I just completed a back to back dyno test of the K&N filter on my 2009 E90 M3 and covered it in Part 5 of MotoIQ's Project E90 M3:

"We gave our M3 a quick and easy bump in power by swapping out the factory air filter for the industry-leading High Performance K&N air filter. We have seen some impressive gains from K&N products and feel there’s no reason you shouldn’t have one on every car you own! But how much power can really be gained over the OEM BMW air filter in this highly stressed and finely tuned 8,250rpm screaming V8? Read on to find out!"

The article also includes back to back dyno comparisons of K&N filters in:

-E90 M3
    -Viper GTS
    -Supercharged Roush Mustang
    -Lexus IS-F

Project E90 M3: Part 5 - K&N Filter > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Enjoy!

Y'know, I like reading the articles on MotoIQ; however, I'm concerned about where the line is drawn between information, opinion, and advertising. I think it's important for publications to make the distinction crystal clear.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 08-17-2016, 04:51 PM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Comment

There's not much you can say about an air filter.

I just provided multiple back to back dynos of various cars for variety and more data points and some background on how the filter works and their warranty.

Comment

Does K&N have a business relationship with MotoIQ?

Are opinions like, "K&N delivers superior flow and protection with a Million Mile Warranty, Engine Protection Limited Warranty, and a Consumer Protection Pledge;" and,
        "No other company or product offers this kind of confidence and support for their customers while delivering quick and easy performance increases," truly your own?
        What competing products or companies? In keeping with the scientific nature of the article, what facts do you have to back up those statements?

There's not much you can say about an air filter.
        Criticisms of the product seemed omitted. What criticisms do you have of K&N air filters? In what ways are competing products better? What products specifically?
        2001 MR2-Eleven
        Youtube Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
          So How many filters would need to be sold so the MotoIQ guys can retire on their island in the Bahamas?

Comment

Of course. They are a sponsor of the site.

FWIW, I got the M3 filter for free to test, but I had to pay for the $50 filter for my Wife's Roush Mustang - which needed an air filter and K&N has always been my preferred filter.

Are opinions like, "K&N delivers superior flow and protection with a Million Mile Warranty, Engine Protection Limited Warranty, and a Consumer Protection Pledge;" and,
            "No other company or product offers this kind of confidence and support for their customers while delivering quick and easy performance increases," truly your own?
            What competing products or companies? In keeping with the scientific nature of the article, what facts do you have to back up those statements?
            Yes they are. The objective performance was logged over 4 cars in the article, and a description of their warranties and protection pledges were given. Can you name another product that takes care of their customers to that level?

It was not a comparison test. It was a product review and A-B test. If another company provided a filter to make it a comparison test, I would have been more than happy to test it.

FWIW, I do 4-5 pulls with 1 cooldown period and choose the median result for pre and post change. I could have easily biased the results to show larger gains by choosing the lowest baseline and highest post-change pull, but that's not how I compare things.

Criticisms of the product seemed omitted. What criticisms do you have of K&N air filters? In what ways are competing products better? What products specifically?
            I don't have any criticisms. They make a lot of power for not a lot of money. I've never had an issue using K&N products for decades and they will pay for any damage caused by their products. No other company competes at this level. -Everything I said in the article.

Wow, i'm blown away at all of this controversy on a simple A-B comparison of an air filter...

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
              , i'm blown away at all of this controversy on a simple A-B comparison of an air filter...
              That's what is so funny. If you got them from KN for free you would have to sell 20,000 to make a million dollars!

Comment

Of course. They are a sponsor of the site.

FWIW, I got the M3 filter for free to test, but I had to pay for the $50 filter for my Wife's Roush Mustang - which needed an air filter and K&N has always been my preferred filter.
                I appreciate the disclosure. IMO, such disclosures should be made in the article so that readers can make an informed decision about potential biases.

It was not a comparison test.
                "No other company or product offers this kind of..."

Can you name another product that takes care of their customers to that level?
                I never looked into it; however, AEM offers an unlimited mile warranty on their dryflow filters, and unlimited mileage is longer in duration than a one-million mile warranty. In addition, consumers will not need to make additional purchases to "recharge" the filter element through this duration.

Wow, i'm blown away at all of this controversy on a simple A-B comparison of an air filter...
                OK, I am sorry if I have bothered you. I was hoping to receive reassurance that the article is not as it appears to be: an advertisement. Thanks again, for the disclosure.
                2001 MR2-Eleven
                Youtube Channel.

Comment

I appreciate the disclosure. IMO, such disclosures should be made in the article so that readers can make an informed decision about potential biases.

"No other company or product offers this kind of..."

I never looked into it; however, AEM offers an unlimited mile warranty on their dryflow filters, and unlimited mileage is longer in duration than a one-million mile warranty. In addition, consumers will not need to make additional purchases to "recharge" the filter element through this duration.

OK, I am sorry if I have bothered you. I was hoping to receive reassurance that the article is not as it appears to be: an advertisement. Thanks again, for the disclosure.
                  Will AEM pay to fix or replace your motor if their filter fails and causes your motor to blow up? Do they have a written warranty like K&N's that says that? -

So what is the service interval for the dryflow filters? Do you just wash them and let them dry to clean them?

Can you disclose if you work for or have an AEM filter on your car?

It's not a bother, its a valid question and I hope to have clarified things better. Thats the point (for me) to be involved in forums.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	232381

Remember metal screens over intakes? Does anyone make super thin filters that maybe have short life but filter buttonwillow dirt from when you spin off and stop you from sucking in rubber and rocks yet give you even more power than a KN streetcar filter?

What happens if you use 100 micron metal screen seen in oil prefilters instead of big screen like in the old days?

How much does that shorten engine life if rebuilds are done frequently anyway?

Comment

Race motors are rebuilt frequently. Especially 'back in the day', it would be common to replace a motor a couple times a weekend. So the impact of filters wasn't a big issue.

Looking at modern professional racing cars, even with rules requiring increased longevity (to try to cut costs), race motors are still rebuilt quite frequently when compared to a street car. Even with that, I would venture to say that K&N filters are installed on more professional racecars than any other brand.

Comment

Will AEM pay to fix or replace your motor if their filter fails and causes your motor to blow up? Do they have a written warranty like K&N's that says that? -

So what is the service interval for the dryflow filters? Do you just wash them and let them dry to clean them?

Can you disclose if you work for or have an AEM filter on your car?

It's not a bother, its a valid question and I hope to have clarified things better. Thats the point (for me) to be involved in forums.
                        I believe that AEM does NOT promise to replace your motor if the filter fails and causes your motor to blow up.

I don't know what the service interval is. I washed mine twice during my ownership of one, which was about ~45,000 miles and ~24 track hours. Both times it was unnecessary, probably, but it was already off the car. I believe AEM instructs owners to wash with (mild) soapy water, then allow to dry. I dried mine by putting it back on my car and driving it.

I do not work for AEM, and I do not use any AEM products at the moment. I used to use a dryflow that I purchased for full price on the MR2. I also used a K&N on a CBR600rr.

question: What would happen to a motor that has no filtration, or insufficient filtration? I'm wondering if a motor could even possibly fail for that reason. My best guess says that dust particles would corrode the piston rings and valve edges, eventually creating a loss of compression. But, gradual loss of compression would not cause a motor to fail, right? It would just run worse over time until you replace it because you're making a fraction of the power.

EDIT: AEM says 50,000 mile washing intervals. So, one of my cleans was probably necessary. CA race tracks are dusty.
                        Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 08-18-2016, 11:33 AM.
                        2001 MR2-Eleven
                        Youtube Channel.

Comment

I can't quote any HP number, but back in the late 70's, I was involved with H-O Racing Specialties, and the development of a turbocharger kit for Pontiac Trans Ams. Our basic kit was producing 6 psi of boost on the 400 cubic inch engines, using a large foam type air cleaner and flex duct.

One day, this guy named Ken comes in and shows us these cool screen & mesh cloth air filters and wants to know what we do, and if he can do anything for us. We show him the turbo setup, and he suggests a cylindrical air filter mounted directly to the turbo inlet.

Fast forward a day or two, and he walks in again with a filter they made up just for us to try out. We put it on the test car, took it for a drive, and the boost went from 6 psi to 7 psi. We did back to back tests to make sure this was really all due to the filter. That's a 15% increase in boost, and it was a good jump in HP.

Ken and his company made some other special air filters for us, which again worked extremely well, and I became a believer for life. Ken was apparently the "K" in K&N.
                          Terry Watson
                          AROSC Competition Director

Comment

I'd be interested in how close various filters come to the baseline of "no filter at all"

just for curiosity, of course.

Steve

Comment

Previous K&N user, read this article/report a long time ago: ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report , thought about it for awhile, and use OE or OE-style paper filters now. The article linked could be total crap, but it made me think about what an air filter should be doing.

If you want feedback, I think your article on MotoIQ reads like a puff piece / advertisement and it would make more sense if it was clearly disclosed that the whole website is sponsored by K&N, and the product that is being tested was free.

I am curious how many engines K&N has warrantied. And how many they've warrantied without some really obvious failure of their filter media (like it falling off and being ingested by the motor).
                              2003 Z06
                              Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

Working...
                              X