Collapse

1 way or 1.5 way LSD for front wheel drive track car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSGs are usually set up with the most lockup and preload possible out of the box. Check out my article on tuning the OS Giken LSD:

Project NSX Part 2, Tuning a Limited Slip Differential; Tricks of the Pros

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
      OSGs are usually set up with the most lockup and preload possible out of the box. Check out my article on tuning the OS Giken LSD:

Project NSX Part 2, Tuning a Limited Slip Differential; Tricks of the Pros
      That was not the case with ours, it was very conservative.

The new dual core stuff is pretty trick as well.
      Last edited by RacerJason99; 05-12-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Decision made

Guys, thanks for all your advice.

I've made the purchase, a Cusco clutch type, which will be initially configured as 1 way. This has been based on the fact that more of you said 1 way than 1.5 way.

However, I'm hedging my bets. This particular LSD can be easily re-configured to 1.5 way.

I'm aiming to have the gearbox out in a few weeks, and the LSD and 5.1 installed for our next track day in July. I'll update this thread when I have something to report.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

The parts have arrived

The Cusco RS LSD turned up during the week, along with the Monster 5.1:1 final drive ratio:

The Cusco RS was delivered in 1.5 way configuration, but it seems pretty straightforward to change it 1 way, which I did on the kitchen bench in about 15 minutes when my darling wife wasn't watching.

It's simply a matter of pulling the cover off:

Pulling the clutch plates out:

Here's the pressure plate set for 1.5 way:

Pull the pressure plate out, then pull the planetary gears out (that's a preload spring I'm holding, didn't take a pic of the gears coming out):

Flip the planetary gears over so the cam is facing the other way, and move them around one position in the pressure ring:

Then reinstall everything as it came out.

The Cusco RS seems to have a lot of adjustment, you can see that it comes with 8 preload springs, and slots for four more, or you could remove springs to reduce preload. You can also swap the order of the plates around, and double them up to reduce the amount of friction surface engagement.

Our next track day is July, so I'll give an update after that for sure, and maybe an interim update when we are installing it.
          Last edited by Sprinkles; 06-04-2016, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Just make you put the ramps in the correct direction, so you don't have lockup on decel and nothing (open diff) on accel.

For your power level, it might be a good idea to deactivate a couple plates per side and maybe remove 2-4 preload springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
              Just make you put the ramps in the correct direction, so you don't have lockup on decel and nothing (open diff) on accel.

For your power level, it might be a good idea to deactivate a couple plates per side and maybe remove 2-4 preload springs.
              Ha ha, that would be really annoying if I got the ramps the wrong way around! Thanks for the tip, I'll double check.

EDIT: Since I have not flipped the pressure plates over, the ramps must still be facing in the original direction as assembled by the factory, so they must be right..... right?

Can you talk me through your thinking of deactivating some plates and removing some preload springs? This is something I am having a really hard time getting my head around, what's the appropriate settings for a small amount of power.
              Last edited by Sprinkles; 06-06-2016, 03:25 AM.

Comment

We had our first track day yesterday with the LSD and 5.1 final drive installed.

The LSD was installed as 1 way, with the clutch plates and springs as delivered, and it worked great. The car was noticeably quicker out of the slower corners, and I took 1.3 seconds off my previous best time, getting down to 1:13.58. In particular it pulled noticeably quicker out of the slower corners, and there was no change under brakes and turn in, as predictable as ever.

Comment

Working...
                X