Collapse

-16AN Lines Big Enough for Water Lines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -16AN Lines Big Enough for Water Lines?

I am contemplating using -16 AN lines to plumb my coolant through the engine bay. This is necessary because I am using a Laminova core to cool my oil, and I need to route coolant to it.

The car brings coolant from the engine-mounted midship--to the front radiator, then back again through hard lines with an ID of about 1.15". The hard lines terminate at the firewall and are, together, about 14 feet long. Then, about 18 inches of hose--with an ID of 1.25"--compose the length of OEM hose routing water to the engine.

I want to replace the 18 inches of hose that has a 1.25" ID with about 3 or 4 feet of -16 AN lines. -16 has an ID of about 1.0". I'd really like confirmation that -16 is large enough. My research indicates that the hose diameter effects the speed of the flow, and stress on the water pump, which is OEM.

I'm pretty sure the difference in diameter is not significant, but I'd like confirmation from people who know better than I, before I plop $400 on AN hardware and hose.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Isn't there an AN fitting that is closer to the OEM internal dimensions in your current plumbing system?
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
      Isn't there an AN fitting that is closer to the OEM internal dimensions in your current plumbing system?
      Yes, -20AN. It's thrice as expensive as -16 AN fittings, and I cannot find all of the fittings I need in that size.
      2001 MR2-Eleven
      Youtube Channel.

Comment

you want the thermostat to be the restriction(pressure in the head)... as long as it flows significantly better than the that, you should be fine.

BID

Comment

That short of length (if straight) will have very little negative effect on anything. Sharp turns are where you get massive pressure/flow losses. One 1/2" 90 degree copper elbow has the same friction as something like 12-15 feet of the same size straight pipe.

Comment

I run -16 on my 400+ whp mx-5 and have no problems. It actually over cools without a thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by craZee View Post
              That short of length (if straight) will have very little negative effect on anything. Sharp turns are where you get massive pressure/flow losses. One 1/2" 90 degree copper elbow has the same friction as something like 12-15 feet of the same size straight pipe.
              There will be a ~180 U-bend in there. Something to be concerned about?
              2001 MR2-Eleven
              Youtube Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
                There will be a ~180 U-bend in there. Something to be concerned about?
                Depends on how sharp. Hairpin or WSIR turn 2?

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                  Depends on how sharp. Hairpin or WSIR turn 2?
                  About as sharp as my wit, or my receding hairline. Say, about 2 inch radius.
                  2001 MR2-Eleven
                  Youtube Channel.

Comment

Bed time reading

https://neutrium.net/fluid_flow/pres...length-method/

Comment

Working...
                    X