Pneumatic Paddle Shifter for H-pattern gearbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumatic Paddle Shifter for H-pattern gearbox

I thought this was pretty cool- home-built "sequential shifter"! I wonder if he'll end up selling this as a kit, or share?

Hey all.

I'd like to share with you guys the project I was working on for the last 2 years. It's fully pneumatic paddle shifter system for any cable driven H gearbox. This is at the moment mounted in VW GOLF 2, FIA E1 hill climb car.
    The ECU that's controlling the valves can also control the clutch so one could use this on syncro gearbox also. Average shift I get is 0.08s which I'm looking to improve. I still have few miliseconds in my sleave

Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPRZ0MhzCuc

I'm constantly trying to improve the system so comments/Ideas are welcome.

More pictures & videos of the car on my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mmemotorsport

p.s.: sorry for bad video at the beginning of the movie. I'm an engineer, not a professional camera guy

Thanks!

Marko

Wow! that is cool. I never understood the general resistance of racers to go paddles yet they universally embrace shifter sequential gearboxes. They are clearly faster and this is 2016. Today I think of manual gearbox like drum brakes and dial telephones. I'm done with those.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
      Wow! that is cool. I never understood the general resistance of racers to go paddles yet they universally embrace shifter sequential gearboxes. They are clearly faster and this is 2016. Today I think of manual gearbox like drum brakes and dial telephones. I'm done with those.
      No one disputes they are faster. For many, paddle shifters lack the visceral feel one obtains from slamming a a sequential into gear, or stomping their foot on the clutch and flicking the H-pattern lever with their finger tips in perfect harmony. It's driving enjoyment through driver engagement. Self-riving cars will soon be a thing, and they will be faster than you. Will you make the switch because it's faster and 2020?
      2001 MR2-Eleven
      Experience Points: 21
      Youtube Channel.

Comment

I don't see any clutch actuation? You can't just slam an H box into the next gear. The synchros aren't built for that. I wonder how it's disengaging engine power?
        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
          No one disputes they are faster. For many, paddle shifters lack the visceral feel one obtains from slamming a a sequential into gear, or stomping their foot on the clutch and flicking the H-pattern lever with their finger tips in perfect harmony. It's driving enjoyment through driver engagement. Self-riving cars will soon be a thing, and they will be faster than you. Will you make the switch because it's faster and 2020?
          They make a similar shifter for the transmission in your car. You still have to use the clutch but you no longer have to worry about missing a gear. I drove a car with and it was cool.

Elise
          MR2 Spyder
          Mazda RX7 FD
          Porsche 911E

Comment

Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
            They make a similar shifter for the transmission in your car. You still have to use the clutch but you no longer have to worry about missing a gear. I drove a car with and it was cool.

This is perfect. You still get the satisfaction of kicking the clutch like an unruly child, and flicking the shifter like a, uh, like flicking the shifter. Perfect middle ground. I'd use it, if only because it's like a sequential, and I love sequential.
            2001 MR2-Eleven
            Experience Points: 21
            Youtube Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
              I don't see any clutch actuation? You can't just slam an H box into the next gear. The synchros aren't built for that. I wonder how it's disengaging engine power?
              that's what i was thinking. the expensive part of the sequential is the dog rings and the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                The mr2 spyder came stock with a system like this from the factory. It uses the same manual transmission but an ECU activates the hydraulic clutch and moves moves the shifter arm.

It is not an automatic. The driver must tell it when to change gears. It wont shift by itself. There is no full auto mode. It also upshifts slower than a regular manual.
                Last edited by Silversprint; 01-25-2016, 02:58 PM.
                Elise
                MR2 Spyder
                Mazda RX7 FD
                Porsche 911E

Comment

Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
                  The mr2 spyder came stock with a system like this from the factory. It uses the same manual transmission but an ECU activates the hydraulic clutch and moves moves the shifter arm.

It is not an automatic. The driver must tell it when to change gears. It wont shift by itself. There is no full auto mode. It also upshifts slower than a regular manual.
                  Actually, the designer discussed that there is an actuator connected to the hydro clutch.

Comment

I had one, and there were warnings not avoid prolonged sitting with the car in gear but not moving without the brakes engaged, as it would ultimately bleed down the accumulator and bad things would happen.

Upshifts were definitely slower although a properly timed roll off the power helped a lot, and downshifts were super quick (although you were again recommended only to kick through 2 gears then pause for a moment).

I do miss that car in many ways, although the lack of storage made it entertaining at times.

Steve

Comment

Holy cow!

Very impressive design and workmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
                        I had one, and there were warnings not avoid prolonged sitting with the car in gear but not moving without the brakes engaged, as it would ultimately bleed down the accumulator and bad things would happen.

Upshifts were definitely slower although a properly timed roll off the power helped a lot, and downshifts were super quick (although you were again recommended only to kick through 2 gears then pause for a moment).

I do miss that car in many ways, although the lack of storage made it entertaining at times.

Steve
                        wait wait wait, the mr2 spyder's automatic was like this? all automatics or only cretin ones?

Comment

Working...
                        X