Aim Solo Race Studio Data question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aim Solo Race Studio Data question

What do you guys compare on the data , I'm new with the Datalogger .
    Need advice how to use the data improve my time.

Any advice will help.
    Pit Garage www.pitgarage.net

94 Army Green Spec Miata ( First Race Car)
    99 Twilight Blue Mica Miata (Daily and weekend track toy)
    85 Panda AE86 Corolla Hatchback (waiting for swap)

93 white miata caged (First car built by my own race in China now)
    02 Spa Yellow S2000 (Sold)
    05 Red RX8 (First track car ---Sold)
    91 RX7 turbo II ( Stolen )
    86 Red AE86 Corolla GT-S (Sold)
    02 Black Civic Si EP3 (Mugen Type R Conversion) (Stolen)

I was thinking about this very topic this morning. A lot of us have AiM Solos and Solo DLs in our cars. How can we set up a school to learn how to extract data from the unit itself, then learn to interpret it in the interest of going faster?

We'd need demand from TrackHQers and supply from someone with expertise in AiM data logging.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

I normally do a couple of things to compare data. First off and easiest way to use the data is to get data from someone else in a similar car to compare where either of you are doing things better than one another to improve your driving.

When I'm setting up a car I'll look at the longitudinal acceleration and speed to see where I'm unable to get on throttle early and figure a way to fix the problem. I used the data to help set my car up over the last 6 months and I feel as though I went from a car I knew nothing about to having it pretty well set up much faster than I would have without the data.

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
        I was thinking about this very topic this morning. A lot of us have AiM Solos and Solo DLs in our cars. How can we set up a school to learn how to extract data from the unit itself, then learn to interpret it in the interest of going faster?

We'd need demand from TrackHQers and supply from someone with expertise in AiM data logging.
        Data is data, regardless of the hardware/software used to collect and display it. You look at the same stuff. Typically, the first thing you do is display speed vs time plots. Pick out spots where you went faster and figure out why. Usually it's obvious like say, releasing brakes sooner entering a turn. Other times it's less obvious like making smaller steering corrections mid turn thus scrubbing less speed. Improving corner entries usually result in higher minimum speed in a turn. So seeing a higher min speeds in a particular turn is a tell tale.

You either need an engineer that knows the theoretical limits of the car are higher than you're achieving (like F1) or a faster, smoother and more consistent driver to do one "data" lap for you to analyze. A good coach (not just any coach) can identify things to improve by just by looking at data without ever seeing or sitting in the car. The best is a coach in the right seat for a few laps, a good data lap to compare to. Mostly you drive solo then download data and go over it with the coach after every session. That's the fastest and most effective way to improve. Like I always say though, most egos are too big to accept that one might improve with hands on coaching, or the driver believes they'll improve lap times more by buying bigger cams..
        WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

So will this cam work? https://www.lgmotorsports.com/produc...oducts_id=1509
          ~ Jim Tway
          Tway Motorsports
          (714) 528-2150
          #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
          Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
          PA Construction
          American Heritage Performance

Comment

Originally posted by jimt View Post
            Yes. I'll bill you.
            WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

I am not an expert in any way on data. We also have an AIM solo. If you are asking how to use data, then the AIM solo system will be a very good tool for you and much can be learned from just the 2 accelerometers and GPS logger that come with the unit. I am just beginning to learn all the tools that use these three data inputs so take everything with a grain of salt. Also keep in mind that I am coming from a Spec Miata perspective.

Caveats out of the way,,,, data is only data. Interpreting the data is the important thing. To do this you have to get out of the data and the software for a few moments and think creatively about what is happening inside the car that would account for the data. Why would a car build lateral G steadily, lose it momentarily and abruptly build it again before linearly tapering back off? When you know most of the possible answers to that question, you will be able to use the G trace that is giving you that data. I mean this literally; what even a single data point can tell you is only limited to the creativeness in which you can pose a question around it. Once you can pose the question, you can not only go into the software to answer that question , but be able to ask the right question after seeing the data. Both are important. It is amazing how much can be rung out of a little data.

Here are just some of the tools we use and things we are looking at.

GPS Trace -

1. Generates your track position relative to time.
              2. This generates a speed trace which can be used to determine entry/exit speeds, minimum and maximum speeds. Etc.
              3. Gives you the most important bit of data, lap times.
              4. Big tool is the lap time delta graph. When you compare 2 laps, this simple graph will show exactly when you started gaining or losing time to another lap (start thinking about what simple tool you could use to make this bit of info even more powerful). Its great to know that a lap is better than another, it is better to know when and where it happened. We use this to hone in on trouble areas quickly.
              5. Generates the split time chart which shows you every sector time and sector deltas to every other lap. Produces a best rolling lap that helps you to narrow down trouble areas on the track as well as to give you an indication as to how badly a single corner mistake has cost you as well as which corner and when it was. Also provides best theoretical lap which tells you even more about how the accumulation of mistakes is costing you. Understand theoretical best lap times though. Even though the theoretical was generated with real sector times, a fast lap may not have the fastest sector time in all sectors. Why that happens and when you want that to happen is the question.
              6. So much more. The mapping features are very helpful.

Lateral G Trace -

1. Can see how abruptly turn in is
              2. Can see how loose the car is
              3. Can see when turn in is happening, when track out is complete.
              4. Is the car loose on entry, mid corner, exit.
              5. Very generally can tell you if you are at the edge of the tires traction limit.
              6. Envision the question that requires knowing the cornering forces and this trace will provide the answer to some degree.

Long G

1. Brake point!! A non linear Lng G trace can tell you if you can move the point up because you backed off the brakes and then reapplied them, or if you need to move it back because you locked up the tires.
              2. Can tell you if you need to work on the smoothness of your heel toe shifting.
              3. How much force you are using to bump draft, and how powerful that shunt was.
              4. If you are approaching theoretical brake lock.
              5 ETC. Again envision the question that uses the data.

Video is an essential compliment to the solo. Video gives you a way to correlate data from the solo as well as a cheap way to acquire other data outside of the solo. For instance, adjusting fuel pressure and AFR. You could data log AFR and overlay that into the software and know AFR everywhere, or, you can use video to watch the AFR gauge as well as roughly the RPMS the car is at and which gear at the time. Allowing you to adjust your fuel pressure after the session. Going back to the comment about what simple tool can be used to compliment the speed delta graph. Once a delta is discovered between two different laps, it is hard to remember exactly what you did on those laps to generate the delta. Video allows you to go back and to see if your interpretations were correct and to help you understand what the differences were in how you took the corner. Video with data overlays are great tools. Video and a shift light is a good tool. Potentially I can see if the driver is holding high RPMS though maintenance throttle corners. If the shift light increments are know, I can determine roughly what RPM he is at without data logging the RPMs. If my G trace tells me the car is loose mid corner, I can verify that the interpretation is correct. The audio from the video is useful too.

It goes on and on.

I like the question Brett has posed. We need more instruction on data use. Just two guys wanting to know something I think is enough to begin. One will know one thing and the other will know something else or ask a question that the other didn't. In my mind that is school. And a school where everyone that shows is enthusiastic about learning! Just writing this caused me to look for more uses for what I already have. Maybe a data thread where a single problem that someone has experience in is posted each week for discussion?

Comment

Could the unit below be an improved mouse trap?

Tested: Qstarz LT-Q6000 GPS Lap Timer

Comment

There are a few decent video tutorials in youtube:

AiM Race Studio Analysis - Identifying Trends In Your Driving - YouTube
                  AiM Race Studio Analysis - Driver vs. Driver Analysis - YouTube
                  AiM Race Studio Analysis - Split Times Report - YouTube
                  Less powah is better

Comment

I'm also curious, how does the Qstarz compare to the AIM?
                    AP1 S2000 w/KW V3s on 255 RS3s (square setup)

Comment

Working...
                    X