Collapse

Wideband 02 sensor wired to OBD I ECM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brett, think of the O2 as a camera. It is taking pictures of your exhaust by looking at the mixture of gasses in it, then sending those to your ECU. The ECU reads those pictures and makes adjustments accordingly. In OEM narrow band O2 sensors (NBO2). thy take a sort of a panoramic shot taken with point-and-shoot pocket camera. A WBO2 is like a SLR/DSLR camera with a nice adjustable lens on it.

The stock ECU cannot read the pictures of a WBO2 because the focus is out of it's scope of 'vision' (voltage). However, WBO2s have settings you can adjust, with a laptop and software in most cases, so the voltage is in the range the OEM ECU can read. The WB allows you to adjust this range, or focus, so you can tell a more advanced ECU in the car what to look at.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Comment

Originally posted by hakeem View Post
      Your stock ECU reads voltage from the OEM narrowband O2 sensor and converts it to an AFR or lambda value. For example, maybe it's 0-5v which would correlate to 10-20:1 AFR. Once you know what those values are that your ECU is expecting, you can program your new O2 sensor controller to output the correct voltage so that the ECU can read it correctly.

You're assuming I know how to program an o2 sensor controller. If it has no moving parts, I'm lost.

Let me give you an analogy: If my o2 sensor controller were a VCR, it would be flashing 12:00 all the time.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
        You're assuming I know how to program an o2 sensor controller. If it has no moving parts, I'm lost.

Let me give you an analogy: If my o2 sensor controller were a VCR, it would be flashing 12:00 all the time.
        It's a really trivial process. I could walk you through it if you needed.

I can also help you with that VCR time problem too.

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
          Who still has a VCR?
          The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
          1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
          2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
          2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
            Who else still has a VCR?
            Fixed for ya

Comment

Ok, dvr.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by hakeem View Post
                It's a really trivial process. I could walk you through it if you needed.
                I might take you up on that. My AEM gauge should arrive this week.
                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                X