Need a new video camera in the car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new video camera in the car

I need to get a new in-car video camera. Essentially, all I want is a camera I can turn on and off, and push record and stop while I'm buckled into the seat. I must screw onto a standard quarter-inch tripod mount. I use the I/O Port camera mount on the cross bar of the roll cage.

It can be wireless or use a cord I don't really care. I don't really keep up with this stuff, so I'm looking for input from the crowd.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Oh, if I could integrate AiM Solo data with the video feed somehow, that'd be cool, too.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

If you get a Gopro, get a gopro hero2. People haven't figured out how to hard wire a button to the Hero3 and none of the DAQ hardware can control a Hero3. The wireless on my Hero3 occasionally freezes the camera at startup and I have one more thing to keep charged (the remote) and remember to turn off (camera wireless). The quality is great though on my Hero3 Black.

I don't know too much about the other non-gopro options.
      -Anthony
      1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
      2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

Manny said Monoprice has a higher quality version of their camera coming out and it might have a remote control.
        99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
        '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Remote on/off will limit your options quite a bit.

For me the non-negotiable requirement is "works properly with hard-wired power". How many times have you heard "I forgot to charge the battery" and "the battery died". Screw that.

I'm using the Contour GPS at present and it's good. I flick the switch before climbing into the car. It actually does have remote start/stop over bluetooth. You need an android or iphone to run the app.

Comment

You should look into a Replay XD. The 1080p one is like $250-$299 if you shop around and the 720p is like $150.

Way smaller than a gopro. You can get a 12v cigarette lighter/hardwire adapter and set it to automatically start/stop recording when it senses power or the removal of power. Hook this up to ignition switch or a switch on your dash and your golden.

If your data logger has an output ability - you can have the data logger send the power signal.

Comment

Remote on/off will limit your options quite a bit.
              Yup. I've done several Google searches and I was kind of getting that feeling, which is why I wanted to pose the question to track guys.

You just never know if Google is showing all available options. A company with a good product that didn't pay Google the vig might not show up high in search results.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

The AIM SmartyCam is pretty awesome. It can start and stop itself based on GPS speed, be hardwired, and overlay data right into the video without needing any post-processing (without even needing any ECU input if necessary): AiM SmartyCam

The main problem is the resolution is only 480p which is unacceptable in 2013, and that it costs $999. The SmartyCam HD is supposed to be released imminently which has 720p support, and still costs $999.

Comment

That would be compatible with my AiM solo, but it's way, way more than I wanted to spend.
                  www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

This is the cap you want if you get the ReplayXD, you can cut off the cigarette lighter and hardwire. Then set it to auto record/stop.

Hardwire Car Adapter with Audio-In 4 Meter - Replay XD

Comment

GoPro Hero2 + WiFi BackPac/remote + in-car charger.

Hopefully GP gets the bugs worked out of the Hero3 - the picture quality is much nicer and having built-in WiFi means there's one less thing to charge. For now, though, they're way too buggy to rely on.
                      Theseus: '94 Miata, NASA SU/TTU (in progress)
                      Rover: '90 Miata, NASA PTE/E3

Comment

gopro Hero3 also won't connect to Traqmate
                        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                        17 GT350R
                        03 Miata Club Sport
                        96 NSX
                        06 EVO MR
                        15 Mini Cooper S
                        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by jrx13 View Post
                          You should look into a Replay XD. The 1080p one is like $250-$299 if you shop around and the 720p is like $150.

Way smaller than a gopro. You can get a 12v cigarette lighter/hardwire adapter and set it to automatically start/stop recording when it senses power or the removal of power. Hook this up to ignition switch or a switch on your dash and your golden.

If your data logger has an output ability - you can have the data logger send the power signal.
                          That sounds excellent.

Comment

New wrinkle: My AiM Solo is already plugged into my cigarette lighter.
                            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Has anyone heard of the Drift Ghost camera or had any experience with them? This one has has an on/off remote you can wear on your wrist, which is pretty dang brilliant.
                              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                              X