NEW Datalogger from AIM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Datalogger from AIM

Take a look at the AIM Solo and the Solo DL. $399 and $799 respectively.

Both units give you GPS. triaxial accelerometer, lap times, splits, predictive lap times and you can download all the info into Race Studio 2 to analyze. They have a track data base so the unit recognizes most all tracks. You do not need to put in coordinates just turn it on and go. GPS sampling rate is 10hz.

The DL adds:
    A plug into a stand alone ecu or an oem unit with CAN connection so you can log pretty much anything in the ECU.
    A plug in and sync with the AIM Smarty Cam.

AiM Sports - The World Leader in Data Acquisition

Mighty Fine and Very Cool

UPDATE FROM AIM 11/3

I spoke to AIM this morning here is the information I got:

Both the Solo and Solo DL use the same Race Studio 2 data analysis software that all the AIM dataloggers use.

As with all the AIM products they constantly update the software and firmware through free downloads on their site.

PERTAINING TO THE SOLO DL:

OBDII CAN is fast, reliable and can carry the highest number of data inputs from the ECU to be datalogged. (I.E. RPM, throttle position etc)

All stand lone ECU's will have CAN and should be able to send everything to the Solo DL.

All cars 06 and newer will have OBDII CAN and work optimally

Cars since 1996 and before 06 might have CAN but ususally will have OBDII K and or L and some will work and do not.

OBDII K and L are older slower data steam lines and will vary car manufacturer to car manufacturer in speed, reliability, and the number of inputs they can reliably carry.

They gave me the example of a 2002 Mazda Protoge that had L and worked well with the DL.

The C5 Corvette does not work.

The C6 does.

If you have questions about your specific application you can email support or call them;
    AiM Sports - Contact Customer Support for Technical Questions

UPDATE 11/4

Here is the info on the TrackHQ Solo group buy:

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f299/a...404/#post69587
    Last edited by markhs2; 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM.

i heard about this from my friend.. seems very promising and inexpensive and you dont have to use beacons. gps ftw

Comment

WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

wow that's cheap
        momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Comment

Oooh, the solo dl looks just like what I want. Lots of great features and not a bad price at all. Are the Smarty cameras pretty good?
          99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
          99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Bill, ignore everything I told you at lunch. The game might have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
              Bill, ignore everything I told you at lunch. The game might have changed.
              Yeah this looks like a good deal. Predictive lap timing, data acquisition, and synchronized video. I want to find out more about hooking it up to obd2 in a C5 corvette and what info I can get from that (brake pedal?, throttle?, oil temp, oil pressure, rpm, etc).
              99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
              99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Wow thats a good price!! I think the closest logger at this price range is the Performance Box at $499. A cool feature that raised my eyebrow is that it gives you the ability to view your data on the fly without a computer after each session. I dont think the Performance box can do that, can it? Or any other logger around $1k price range for that matter can?

Comment

Originally posted by redtopz View Post
                  Yeah this looks like a good deal. Predictive lap timing, data acquisition, and synchronized video. I want to find out more about hooking it up to obd2 in a C5 corvette and what info I can get from that (brake pedal?, throttle?, oil temp, oil pressure, rpm, etc).
                  Find out if your OBDII port has a CAN connection. If it does that is going to be the best and fastest connection to the AIM. Look at the OBDII port and see if there are pins in the #6 and #14 pin holes. If you have these you have CAN connection.
                  If you don't then you will have K or L connection and you can still use this but it will be slower and potentially less info available.

This is what I have been able to find out so far and I am pretty sure but not absolutely positive of this.

I do know that most all cars 06 and newer have CAN. Prior to that it's hit and miss.

Comment

This thing is great. A few BMW guys have been using for a while and seem to like it a lot.

Comment

Funny, I was just thinking about giving up on my Racepak today. I need something less complicated and less expensive.
                      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by redtopz View Post
                        Chuck has an AIM MXL. I wonder if the data files are compatible. Maybe we should standardize on these in T1. I thought the same thing as you. One of these with the Smarty Cam could be cool. We could compare data.

Oli
                        To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

This and an I2 import license might make the best combination if your ECU had a lot of inputs it could send over.
                          Andrew M Brilliant
                          Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Comment

Anybody want to buy a Blind Apex timer? Hardly used.

Looks like AIM has filled a big hole in the market with something with enough features to be useful without a four-figure price tag.
                            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by mlk_f1 View Post
                              Wow thats a good price!! I think the closest logger at this price range is the Performance Box at $499. A cool feature that raised my eyebrow is that it gives you the ability to view your data on the fly without a computer after each session. I dont think the Performance box can do that, can it? Or any other logger around $1k price range for that matter can?
                              I have a p-box now. It's helped me from hpde through tt and into racing. Now I would like more features. The pbox does not display data nor provide predictive lap timing.

Originally posted by markhs2 View Post
                              Find out if your OBDII port has a CAN connection. If it does that is going to be the best and fastest connection to the AIM. Look at the OBDII port and see if there are pins in the #6 and #14 pin holes. If you have these you have CAN connection.
                              If you don't then you will have K or L connection and you can still use this but it will be slower and potentially less info available.

This is what I have been able to find out so far and I am pretty sure but not absolutely positive of this.

I do know that most all cars 06 and newer have CAN. Prior to that it's hit and miss.
                              The C6 corvettes have CAN, but the C5's do not unfortunately.

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
                              Chuck has an AIM MXL. I wonder if the data files are compatible. Maybe we should standardize on these in T1. I thought the same thing as you. One of these with the Smarty Cam could be cool. We could compare data.

Oli
                              Sounds good. I talked to Chuck briefly about his AIM setup. He has it hooked into his CAN port so he can pull all kinds of useful data. That will be more difficult and expensive with our C5's I guess, but all the other features of this unit still make it the best bang for the buck I have seen. I assume the data would be analyzed with the same software that Chuck uses so we could compare his data also.
                              99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                              99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Working...
                              X