X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minorthreat
    started a topic Pyrometer question!

Pyrometer question!

so im lookin into gettin a tire pyrometer so i can check out my temps. i wanna learn to properly use my tires and i was wondering what affordable pyrometers are out there that are pretty good. i went onto ebay and saw alot of longacre products. anyone have any suggestions?

thnx!!

• minorthreat
    replied
    daaaym! no wonder he wouldnt say much about wat he did for a living!! as long as he enjoys it i guess haha

Leave a comment:

• J. Tyler
    replied
    Sorry Jairo, I forgot to mention that 600rr_Rocket is our resident expert for all types of probing.......and I mean all.....

Leave a comment:

• 600RR_Rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by minorthreat View Post
    rad! thnx for the help guys! and ed howd u find that?!?! i hope u dont have one
    It was a gift that Jeff sent me last year for Christmas. He said we should try it out together but I haven't taken him up on that yet...

Leave a comment:

• minorthreat
    replied
    rad! thnx for the help guys! and ed howd u find that?!?! i hope u dont have one

Leave a comment:

• 600RR_Rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Use a probe.
    So many things things I can do with that statement...how about this one? You can use it for exercise AND as a probe...

[YOUTUBE]4S3C4AC908w[/YOUTUBE]

Leave a comment:

• Stuntman
    replied
    A good idea for a cooldown lap is to go as fast as you can using as little brakes as possible (but still using a decent amount the first 1/2 lap). This keeps the temp up and more accurate readings in the tire since you still corner at 100% but are not working the engine or brakes much to cool them down.

When coming into the pits with the tire temps up from said advice, the general rule of thumb is to have the inside measurement ~ 20*F higher than the outside (ex: inside, middle, outside - 200, 190, 180)

If the outsides are less than 20*F and the spread is even, it can suggest adding more camber, likewise if the spread is too much, less camber. There also might be too much toe if the insides are overly hot. If the center is higher (relative to an even spread) it suggests too much tire pressure, and if both outsides are hotter than the center (again, relative to an even spread) more tire pressure is needed.

Billy

Leave a comment:

• 2GRX7
    replied
    Originally posted by andresj View Post
    wat do u use 2grx7?
    Sorry for the delay andresj. I've recently ordered this one.....
    http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=193&catid=7

But this one will work just fine....
    http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=200&catid=7

Utilize Stuntman's process and you'll be fine. One point on the splits- if in fact you are saying that the process should allow for a variance of 20deg. across the tread, do you mean that you should see your INITIAL pit in hot temps at such variance and use those numbers to set up suspension, or as your final variances? If its the ladder, I would find that a bit too wide a window. Single digit's a bit more consistent.

Leave a comment:

• Stuntman
    replied
    DO NOT use an infrared sensor. The surface of the tire cools very quickly before you can get out of the car and measure it. Probe types go ~1cm into the tire to measure the carcas' temperature and while it also drops quickly, it retains more heat and is more accurate and all race teams use these (yes some have on-board infrared sensors but that's another story).

Measure in 3 points (outside, middle, inside), you ideally want a 20*F split with the insides being hotter, stay as far away from the edges of tread blocks as possible, and for the inside and outside measurements, don't measure within an inch of the edge of the tire, you want to stay away from the edges.

Leave a comment:

• J. Tyler
    replied
    Use a probe.

Leave a comment:

• minorthreat
    replied
    Originally posted by zjchaser View Post
    for tires a temp probe is required! I use the old version of this one http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=200&catid=7
    thnx. thats one i was lookin at on ebay. wat do people use for track temps? the IR i would think right? thnx everyone for the help

Leave a comment:

• SeanB
    replied
    It's been said but I'll chime in too: don't waste time with IR for tire temps. Tires cool so quickly that it's not possible to test them fast enough and have it be meaningful.

Buy a probe pyrometer for the tires. For actual testing/setup measure in the hot pit. If you want IR for other things, the Harbor Freight one works fine. Know that all IR pyrometers have trouble reading on shiny/reflective surfaces. The difference between polished and slightly matte finish metals can be 30%. They'll read brake rotors okay if there is material transfer (but rotors cool quickly too).

Leave a comment:

• zjchaser
    replied
    for tires a temp probe is required! I use the old version of this one http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=200&catid=7

Leave a comment:

• Nieko
    replied
    Me and a friend danny were playing with an infrared thermometer at frys today and there was so many things making it vary. like how far away the object was.

as in like an inch difference or so. and it never stayed steady even if it was held in one spot pointing right at something.

i say the contact one would make more sense to being accurate.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    infrared don't work. period.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X