Gauges with Warning Lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauges with Warning Lights

Does anyone know of or can recommend a particular brand of gauges that come with warning lights? It needs to be compatible with racing, so good stuff, heavy-duty, etc.

My go-to brand is AutoMeter and I've always had good luck with them, but I don't see that the company offers gauges with warning lights. I'd prefer they be integral to the gauge for simplicity's sake.

A friend has Accutechs in his car, and they have lights and gauge faces that light up with things go catawumpus, but I'm not sure how good Accutechs are.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Why not combine everything into a dash such as an Aim MX# ?
    that way you get all the gauges you want plus data logging.

Comment

Accutech SMI (made by Longacre) are my go-to choice. A few years back I went on a bit of a hunt for a decently priced high quality gauge after discovering my Autometer gauges were all lying to me to some degree or another. After looking at a lot of options, many $200 or $300+ per gauge, I discussed with Emilio and he pointed me towards the Accutechs they were using in the then-24hr cars. ~$100 per gauge and all the features you want; high quality 1/8" NPT sensor with sealed wiring (very important), stepper motor, user-set warnings, etc. The only downside in some people's mind is they are the larger 2-5/16" size so they take up a little more room than the tiny 2-1/16" guages, but I prefer the better visibility.

All that said, if you're considering adding more than a couple gauges to monitor things, I agree with Graeme above. The dash is more cost up front but can do soooo much more with so much less clutter.

I have a dash in the car now but I still use the Accutechs around the shop for building bench testers and things like that. They're good quality stuff.
      Ryan Passey
      Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
      "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Comment

Brett, the AutoMeter Elite series are programmable and will illuminate in a different color when pre-programmed thresholds are exceeded. That said, they are pricey. Ryan and I recently had the gauge discussion for the "new" 99 we are building. Long story short, we decided on the newest AiM dash. Once again, pricey, but there are just "oh-so-many" features and advantages. One thing we REALLY appreciated with this system in the Exocet is that it is recording everything all of the time. So, for example, you can plot water temps against the track layout.... showing you precise temps throughout the track. Perhaps that's not the best example, but you could as easily plot oil pressure or AFR's against the track layout to know what the car is doing - without depending on distracting the driver in real time. The other really nice feature is that these newer "colored display" dashes can really get your attention if need be. So, for any input you can program thresholds and when these thresholds are crossed you can elect to have different kind of "alarm" displays.... anything from a single light to turning the entire display all RED.

In summary, the granular data logging capability and the complete flexibility to program alarms and their display characteristics helps to offset the price of the units.

Oh, one final thought. On the new car, we also went with AiM's in-car (integrated) camera after having experienced it with the Exocet build. I can't tell you how many times for one reason or another the go-pro didn't record a session when we wanted it to. (Forgot to charge it, forgot to turn it on, forgot to load a memory card, formatted memory card the wrong way, etc.) The AiM camera (finally better image quality than the go-pro's) can be programmed to start recording with different parameters - speed > 10mph, for example. And then you can also get all of the throttle, brake, afr, temp, or whatever you want overlayed onto your videos. You just set this up beforehand (choose what parameters you want) and the videos are created that way. Yes, price and the learning curves with the techno wizardry is the downside - but there sure is a lot of cool stuff you can do.... most of which can help you improve your driving as well as provide you "health" data on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by GraemeD View Post
          Why not combine everything into a dash such as an Aim MX# ?
          that way you get all the gauges you want plus data logging.

I have considered that, but the up front costs might prevent me from going that way. I have an AiM Solo DL for race data. I wanted to go with warning lights because, as a human, I'm not always the best about checking gauges.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by CoolTech View Post
            Oh, one final thought. On the new car, we also went with AiM's in-car (integrated) camera after having experienced it with the Exocet build. I can't tell you how many times for one reason or another the go-pro didn't record a session when we wanted it to. (Forgot to charge it, forgot to turn it on, forgot to load a memory card, formatted memory card the wrong way, etc.) The AiM camera (finally better image quality than the go-pro's) can be programmed to start recording with different parameters - speed > 10mph, for example. And then you can also get all of the throttle, brake, afr, temp, or whatever you want overlayed onto your videos. You just set this up beforehand (choose what parameters you want) and the videos are created that way. Yes, price and the learning curves with the techno wizardry is the downside - but there sure is a lot of cool stuff you can do.... most of which can help you improve your driving as well as provide you "health" data on the car.
            I have been using an AiM Smarty Cam for a few years now, and I can't say enough good things about it. The one time I didn't get video from it was the time I forgot to put the data card in it.

The camera starts as soon as the car begins to move. You get a lot of footage of loading the car on the trailer, and warm-up laps, but it's been bulletproof.

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Brett,

You can tune the sc record thresholds to easily eliminate most of the ‘noise’ videos. Better yet get a full data system that also gets you all the warning lights and alarms you will ever need and let the data system control the camera.
              AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
              Iron Canyon Motorsports
              http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

I second the Accutech SMI (made by Longacre) gauges. I run their Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Water temp gauges with pre warning, and high warning. The pre-warning is a solid LED light that shows up on the bottom of the gauge, and when you hit the high threshold the whole gauge bezel flashes. Very straight forward to set up.

Also, decent accuracy and response. For example, in the sweeper on CW13, I can see the oil pressure fluctuating quite a bit in the middle of the corner (helps when the gauge is in your line of sight spotting for the exit). I did have water temp sensor fail after only one day, but Long Acre quickly sent me a free replacement.
                SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Originally posted by CoolTech View Post
                  I can't tell you how many times for one reason or another the go-pro didn't record a session when we wanted it to. (Forgot to charge it, forgot to turn it on, forgot to load a memory card, formatted memory card the wrong way, etc.) .
                  2 words: Dash cam

S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                  13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                  17 GT350R
                  03 Miata Club Sport
                  96 NSX
                  06 EVO MR
                  15 Mini Cooper S
                  Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

one tip for those noob: orient your gauges so the gauge needle points straight up when at max normal. say water temp of 225F is max your engine will tolerate. orient the gauge so 225F is at 12 o'clock. so you can take a quick peek and see if any of the gauges is an alarm for concern.....
                    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                    17 GT350R
                    03 Miata Club Sport
                    96 NSX
                    06 EVO MR
                    15 Mini Cooper S
                    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I've used PLX gauges... they can be customized to blink like crazy when certain parameters have been met (temp too low, temp too high, etc).

If the customer support was great, I would think these were the greatest gauges ever, but as it were, it's atrocious.

Second downside, each module can only accept two sensors... so, if you want to measure engine oil temp, water temp, and gearbox fluid temp, you'll need two modules.
                      4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

Sounds like some good gauge recommendations. Just like to point out that there's nothing like data-logging along with the ability to go back and plot values against the track layout. Take John's example with fluctuating oil pressure through a long sweeper. Good eyes to notice this in real time but with data-logging you can go back and see EXACTLY what the pressures were. You can also compare to other corners and opposite direction corners which may lead you to pinpoint a correctable problem. Maybe it's tied to RPM and/or temperature.... you can look at all of these when you have the data. In our most recent build (99 SM) we started adding up the cost of all the gauges we wanted and eventually threw in the towel and bought a single AiM dash where we can have the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                        X