Advice on XIDA's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on XIDA's

I have an '01 miata LS that's a weekend street + 6-time-a-year HPDE car. I was planning on purchasing a new set of gen 2 XIDA's with 700/400 + helper springs for my '01, but found a gen 1 set online for ~$500 less. It's got about 10k miles on it, and 850/550 springs with helpers. My car is currently running 205/50 15 RE71R's. I'm an intermediate HPDE driver.

So my question: anyone have any experience with these setups that could advise me on this decision? Help is much appreciated as it's a big purchase either way!

I've driven both generations and had a set of the first gens for about 6 years. I'd buy new because by the time you get the spring rates you want the price difference will narrow more. Plus buying new you'll likely get better service from 949 Racing should you have any issues. If they were both new, I'd still pay $500 more for gen 2 Xidas I think.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Same here. $500 difference for difference gen AND being used is just not enough
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Thanks all! That's exactly the information I needed. I passed on the deal. Much appreciated.

Comment

Decided to suck it up and go with new XIDA's. These arrived Saturday. Not sure whether to install them or frame them and hang them on the wall. Too pretty for track car parts!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	232349

Comment

I need to buy some of these too. The thinking part is done it's the scraping money together to actually buy them that is proving difficult at the moment.

Comment

Now that the break-in on the motor is done, I've been able to push the car harder. I replaced my monotube coilovers with Xidas, 500/350, NB tophats. I like them very much. They feel more precise than the previous brand and they are still very much streetable.
              Yer pal,
              Force

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
                Now that the break-in on the motor is done, I've been able to push the car harder. I replaced my monotube coilovers with Xidas, 500/350, NB tophats. I like them very much. They feel more precise than the previous brand and they are still very much streetable.
                Okay, I lied. My thinking about Xidas isn't done. Force, how did you decide on your spring rates? I was thinking 650f 400r for my streetable Smurf project. IIRC they don't offer a 600 for fronts, goes from 550 to 650. I have a set of 700 springs already so I thought I'd go with a something a little softer.

Are the pretty orange SuperMiata top hats worth the expense or are they along the lines of billet control arms? I had them on my last set but not sure if notice the difference.

Comment

Excuse me, I misspoke. My front rates are 550#.

I had good reference points from my previous coilovers (JIC FLT-a2s) and a good friend who let me sample his Xidas with stiffer rates on the track a few times. I also trusted Emilio's opinion; he knows my car and what I do with it, so I trusted him on the final decision. I am pleased as punch.

Name:	IMG_5151_zpstdrbdwmq.jpg
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	232351

Name:	IMG_5152_zpshtzizpuw.jpg
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	232352

Name:	IMG_4962_zpspceeuwkj.jpg
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	232353

Name:	IMG_5122_zpsnbaggg6y.jpg
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	232354
                  Last edited by Force McCocken; 07-25-2016, 04:08 PM.
                  Yer pal,
                  Force

Comment

^^That's a good looking Smurf!

Comment

Thanks. Owned it since '00, sold it to a close friend in '13, bought it back from him last year. I have rebuilt the car from the ground up this past year.
                      Yer pal,
                      Force

Comment

I don't think I answered your question well, so I wanted to add something here. This is just my opinion, but if your car sees more street miles than track miles, you may want to consider the softer rates and NB tophats. Is it that big of a difference? Not to me, but with my previous coilovers, the extra vibrations and feel could become tiresome in day-to-day commuting and less than perfect roads. My JICs felt frentic from being over-damped. I'm not afraid to climb the curbs at a track, but on those I had to be more prepared to catch the car coming off. The car was corner balanced in that configuration, which is worth the time and expense with any coilover. However, now I might do 3-5 HPDEs/year realistically, I had to dial it back from full-retard to enjoy the car when I just wanted to go from A-B while commuting. I feel like I lost none of the control, but I gained touch more 'squish' and it's strangely more fun because the car's handling seems far more compliant and forgivable, less likely to punish me for incorrect inputs. I will know more after this weekend I plan to spend in the mountains and again in September at AMP.

I know Emilio, Sonny, and John very well and I feel confident that I have the best configuration for my needs and something far more capable than I am. It's funny, but even though it *seems* like I stepped down a notch in performance on paper and features, but I actually feel like I upgraded a notch or two because of the confidence it gives me.
                        Yer pal,
                        Force

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
                          It's funny, but even though it *seems* like I stepped down a notch in performance on paper and features, but I actually feel like I upgraded a notch or two because of the confidence it gives me.
                          Comparing a JIC FLTA2 to a Gen 2 Xida is about like comparing a Nokia from 2000 to the phone in your pocket. Several steps up
                          WWW.949RACING.COM
                          SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                          But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Hey, I just wanted to follow up. I feel like I had my first opportunity to really work out the XIDAs in spirited mountain driving on Saturday. The biggest surprise to me is the range of comfort with my configuration. I pushed the car hard through tight corners in various situations; increasing/decreasing radii, on/off camber, dry and wet. The car is well-planted, comfortable, but firm. In certain situations where I would expect a touch of understeer or getting on to the bumpstops, I had none. The wheel travel is far better than the JICs and I notice this in the transitions. I chased down some much faster cars and drivers I know on these roads, including NDs and NC Club Sports. I have no regrets in my configuration and had it affirmed while I traveled in comfort on the highways back home.

Name:	DG16_01.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	232364

Name:	DG16_02.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	232365

Name:	DG16_03.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	232366
                            (decent demo of the wheel droop allowed on the LR)
                            Yer pal,
                            Force

Comment

Thanks Force, I'll likely be buying the same setup soon if a lens purchase doesn't slow me down.

Comment

Working...
                              X