SS brake Lines VS. OEM "Rubber" lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS brake Lines VS. OEM "Rubber" lines

I've read some mixed reviews about SS lines that they over rated and are not as durable as OEM Rubber lines. But that was from other forums. I want to hear your guy's (real track guys) opinion on SS lines VS. OEM. So which is safer? more durable?

I got a miata, if it maters, that got one OEM line rubbed down to the steel internal @_@.

I prefer SS lines for a Miata. I like the feedback and urgency they offer. I only use DOT approved lines, though, preferably with a sheathed (clear) outer coating. Instances I have seen them fail usually some from incorrect installation where they make contact with the wheels or suspension or the lines are wound up/kinked. I can't say if they are more durable, but they aren't soft and prone to gashing from debris like rubber lines.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Comment

Never seen a braided line fail but I have seen several OEM lines fail. Rubber gets old, cracks and tears loose at fitting on track in extreme heat. Some clubs don't allow rubber OEM lines on track. Stainless braided brake lines Miata

WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

I didn't notice any difference when I installed quality SS lines on the Spyder. One failed on me due to incorrect installation, and I replaced it with a rubber line. 3 corners with ss, and one corner with OEM rubber. The car still brakes strait and true.
        I doubt I'll be using ss again any time soon.
        2001 MR2-Eleven
        Experience Points: 21
        Youtube Channel.

Comment

When buying a used car that I am going to track, I have always switched to SS brake lines. They are a bit more expensive but have never heard of good quality ones failing (other than from an in-proper install). Even if they don't give me better feel than stock lines, figure brakes are something I never want to fail so it is worth the extra few bucks.

Comment

About 6 years ago, HPDE at Thunderhill. Andrew Kidd driving. 15 year old LF brake line lost interest and departed company. Luckily Andrew is a very talented driver and it's the slowest corner on the track. If he had lost that line 2 braking zones sooner in T9, things might have been messier.

https://youtu.be/UKa2nPfgWIE?t=9m33s
            WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

I noticed a good difference in pedal feel. It's a cheap upgrade and I think worth the cost. I'm running some dot approved good ridges.. I think <$200 for the set.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                If he had lost that line 2 braking zones sooner in T9, things might have been messier.
                Or two turns later... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu0Wt98TT6c

Comment

(writeup on the above Corner-Carvers Forums - View Single Post - Brake Lines and Hoses - Replacement Intervals, Failure Results, and Tech)

Comment

I noticed better pedal feel, too. For a Miata that sees track duty, they are a must. They're not expensive, so it should be an easy decision to make.
                    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

The only brake line I lost in competition was a rubber line. During a rallycross event, I Scan-flicked my car, went full-oppo. This exposed the line to the gravel getting kicked up and a rock sliced it nearly in half. I come off that corner into a straight where I picked up some pretty good speed heading into a banked corner. No bueno. Went up and over the banking and plowed into (thankfully) a muddy swap behind it. The car sunk up to the rails and the mud prevented a scary off from becoming a potential deadly one.

I had even wrapped my rubber lines in a long wire spring as protection (a rally trick). The rock punched through between the coils anyways.
                      Yer pal,
                      Force

Comment

We have seen fast S2000 drivers pop OEM rubber brake hoses out of the crimp fitting at the caliper on track. Luckily the one I witnessed personally resulted in a safe recovery. I always suggest this cheap safety mod that comes with some performance gains.

Comment

Working...
                        X