Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

Hawk HP+ destroyed my rotors (need advice)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly this more or less happened to my front rotors on my Prelude with HP+ pads. I would get lots of street driving brake judder as soon as I put new parts through a track day. I don't think I could have fixed it if I tried. I ended up with Legend rotors and calipers (not much different) and those also did the same thing. No issues with HP+ as a mostly street pad on the vette though.
    2003 Z06
    Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

Fe4, did you ever find an equivalent pad that didn't destroy your rotors on your prelude? After feeling the stopping power of the HP+ I don't think I could ever go back to HPS level pads but I also don't want this to happen after every track day. I just did an autoX with the same pads/new rotors combo and I can already tell the rotor is getting a little "bumpy".

Comment

Get some heat paint and find out what the brake temps actually are and choose pads accordingly. Pad and rotor wear (and performance) is dramatically worse when the system is over or under temp. No reason to throw darts at the problem. On the miata I actually prefer pads that eat rotors as rotors are so cheap and pads (race Carbotech or Hawk) are not. Street and track pads are a compromise. If s/t pads work for you then great otherwise you may find it necessary to swap pads and rotors to the race setup when at the track.
        AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
        Iron Canyon Motorsports
        http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by redludesh View Post
          Fe4, did you ever find an equivalent pad that didn't destroy your rotors on your prelude? After feeling the stopping power of the HP+ I don't think I could ever go back to HPS level pads but I also don't want this to happen after every track day. I just did an autoX with the same pads/new rotors combo and I can already tell the rotor is getting a little "bumpy".
          I didn't try anything after HP+. Previously I used the Ferodo DS2500, which was pretty similar except did not work as well when overheated.

You could try a race pad, which I never did on the Prelude. That might end up working better - hard to tell. I didn't find the Prelude ABS system to be particularly good so paying attention to brake compounds is probably important.

For what its worth I wouldn't use the term "destroy" in my case - rotors grooved but not catastrophically and I used them for a whole season. Just lots of brake judder.
          2003 Z06
          Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

Working...
          X