Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

Fastback miata and trunk mounted wing? (Pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kornerz
    started a topic Fastback miata and trunk mounted wing? (Pics)

Fastback miata and trunk mounted wing? (Pics)

I have a question for you guys, how much weight/force is place on a trunk with a wing on it at high speeds? I have a fastback top and as some of you guys know the trunk lid is fiberglass. I found a deal on a mugen cf replica wing for an s2k and it almost fits perfectly. But I'm not sure the fiberglass can hold up at 100+miles per hour. Any input would be appreciated.

• Lightyear
    replied
    I made up end plates that bolt in behind the bumper and support the wing. Nothing touches the fastback.

image hosting without registration

Leave a comment:

• kornerz
    replied
    Emilio , I remeber seeing a few 949 fiberglass air dams at the last swapmeet. You happen to have any of them left?

Leave a comment:

• emilio700
    replied
    Nice

Leave a comment:

• kornerz
    replied
    All done for now....made the stands for 1/4" 6160

Leave a comment:

• 2GRX7
    replied
    Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
    +1

Correct way to do this is to run the uprights through the trunk lid to the frame rails.

Through the trunk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8375[/ATTACH]

Through the bumper skin

^^This^^. My 2 cents; consider rules of your class. Can you mount the wing utilizing bumper pick-up points? If so, are you prepared to mitigate the greater leveraging effect of moving the wing further back (increasing front downforce to compensate) and do you have the power to overcome the greater downforce? You could simply shape those uprights to mimic the original location of the wing.

If you go with pic#1, I hope you can extend the uprights to the subframe rails.

Another positive with moving the wing back; you potentially increase the efficiency of a diffuser (if you have one) by helping that low pressure air coming out to expand quicker on its way to ambient pressure.

Leave a comment:

• heypal
    replied
    Originally posted by kornerz View Post
    Got rid of he stands and made my own . Still working on the wing mount and pivot.
    IMG_04081_zps8625a6d8.jpg Photo by 95turbocobra | Photobucket
    http://youtu.be/28GLa9T2CtI
    Last edited by heypal; 02-03-2015, 09:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kornerz
    replied
    Got rid of he stands and made my own . Still working on the wing mount and pivot.
    IMG_04081_zps8625a6d8.jpg Photo by 95turbocobra | Photobucket

Leave a comment:

• thepass
    replied
    ^ Looks like the endplates are molded to the wing unfortunately. Still, could drill through and mount a larger plate to the outside.

Leave a comment:

• howang
    replied
    and bigger end plates!

Leave a comment:

• Blackbird
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    I would use taller uprights to get the wing out of the "dirty" (turbulent) air coming off the roof. Like that car in Emilio's post.
    Flow on a fastback is not as dirty.

Jorge, the pics on your last post might feed the load to the chassis better, but are very dirty in terms of the airflow on the upright and mounting.
    I'd consider a pair of new uprights at the very minimum.
    Also, it's hard to tell from the pics on your first post, but the trailing edge on that wing looks a bit round..

Leave a comment:

• kornerz
    replied
    What if I make brackets using angle iron? Kinda like this but facing in and with heavier gauge metal?

Leave a comment:

• flink
    replied
    Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
    Upforce? Is that like lift?
    Only if downforce is like drop.

Leave a comment:

• MikeColangelo
    replied
    I would use taller uprights to get the wing out of the "dirty" (turbulent) air coming off the roof. Like that car in Emilio's post.

Also, you're going to want to balance the downforce in the rear with downforce up front (such as by using a splitter).

Leave a comment:

• Stuntman
    replied
    Originally posted by flink View Post
    Don't forget that wings generate upforce when you're driving backwards! I read of one porsche guy who got into a high-speed spin and his wing flipped up, took out his wing, trunk, c-pillars and rear windshield.
    Upforce? Is that like lift?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X