Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

Fastback miata and trunk mounted wing? (Pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastback miata and trunk mounted wing? (Pics)

I have a question for you guys, how much weight/force is place on a trunk with a wing on it at high speeds? I have a fastback top and as some of you guys know the trunk lid is fiberglass. I found a deal on a mugen cf replica wing for an s2k and it almost fits perfectly. But I'm not sure the fiberglass can hold up at 100+miles per hour. Any input would be appreciated.

99 miata-tein flex, RB sway bars
    streets cw 1:27.1
    Streets ccw 1:25.4
    Htm cw 1:01.8
    big willow 1:28.8
    Bw13 cw 2:00.8

2006 miata daily
    Big willow 1:35.08

I would adapt the uprights so they transfer the force to the chassis sheet metal.
    Jack Olsen - 1972 Porsche 911
    What? An awesome video about me and my car
    My Corner-By-Corner Guide to Willow Springs
    My Two-Car Garage's Very Own Website

Comment

Force = Speed^2

The faster you go, the forces go up in a hurry. Your pick already has a pretty significant angle of attack (AOA). Remember the airflow hitting the wing will not be parallel with the ground, but rather at ~7-12 degrees angled downward off the roof of the car. So if your wing is set at ZERO, its actually at a 7-12* AOA. Also keep in mind many wings stall between 15-25*.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Olsen View Post
        I would adapt the uprights so they transfer the force to the chassis sheet metal.
        +1

Correct way to do this is to run the uprights through the trunk lid to the frame rails.

Through the trunk

Click image for larger version

Name:	6149d1379285857-socal-supermiata-thread-nasa5198.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	229718

Through the bumper skin

WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Don't forget that wings generate upforce when you're driving backwards! I read of one porsche guy who got into a high-speed spin and his wing flipped up, took out his wing, trunk, c-pillars and rear windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
            Don't forget that wings generate upforce when you're driving backwards! I read of one porsche guy who got into a high-speed spin and his wing flipped up, took out his wing, trunk, c-pillars and rear windshield.
            Upforce? Is that like lift?

Comment

I would use taller uprights to get the wing out of the "dirty" (turbulent) air coming off the roof. Like that car in Emilio's post.

Also, you're going to want to balance the downforce in the rear with downforce up front (such as by using a splitter).

Comment

Originally posted by Stuntman View Post
                Upforce? Is that like lift?
                Only if downforce is like drop.

Comment

What if I make brackets using angle iron? Kinda like this but facing in and with heavier gauge metal?

2006 miata daily

Comment

Originally posted by MikeColangelo View Post
                    I would use taller uprights to get the wing out of the "dirty" (turbulent) air coming off the roof. Like that car in Emilio's post.
                    Flow on a fastback is not as dirty.

Jorge, the pics on your last post might feed the load to the chassis better, but are very dirty in terms of the airflow on the upright and mounting.
                    I'd consider a pair of new uprights at the very minimum.
                    Also, it's hard to tell from the pics on your first post, but the trailing edge on that wing looks a bit round..
                    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

and bigger end plates!

Comment

^ Looks like the endplates are molded to the wing unfortunately. Still, could drill through and mount a larger plate to the outside.
                        Ryan Passey
                        Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
                        "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Comment

Got rid of he stands and made my own . Still working on the wing mount and pivot.
                          IMG_04081_zps8625a6d8.jpg Photo by 95turbocobra | Photobucket

2006 miata daily

Comment

Originally posted by kornerz View Post
                            Got rid of he stands and made my own . Still working on the wing mount and pivot.
                            IMG_04081_zps8625a6d8.jpg Photo by 95turbocobra | Photobucket
                            http://youtu.be/28GLa9T2CtI
                            Last edited by heypal; 02-03-2015, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                              +1

Correct way to do this is to run the uprights through the trunk lid to the frame rails.

Through the trunk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8375[/ATTACH]

Through the bumper skin

^^This^^. My 2 cents; consider rules of your class. Can you mount the wing utilizing bumper pick-up points? If so, are you prepared to mitigate the greater leveraging effect of moving the wing further back (increasing front downforce to compensate) and do you have the power to overcome the greater downforce? You could simply shape those uprights to mimic the original location of the wing.

If you go with pic#1, I hope you can extend the uprights to the subframe rails.

Another positive with moving the wing back; you potentially increase the efficiency of a diffuser (if you have one) by helping that low pressure air coming out to expand quicker on its way to ambient pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X