How to learn a course quicker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to learn a course quicker

Hey all! This is more of an autocross specific question but I guess it can also relate to drivers driving on new race track. On practice days, I am fine since I am usually spending my time riding in other peoples cars and I can see the course at speed. Its a totally different story on competition days. I'v noticed I am having a hard time remembering and tackling an autocross course on competition days. I walk the course more than once and I understand the general design of the course after walking but once I am actually driving it, everything goes out the window. It comes to the point where I can't even drive the car because I am to focus on where the cones are pointing and all my inputs are being delayed. I am thinking about taking pictures at each apex or gate next time and reviewing them whenever I have free time before my run group goes. Any of you guys have any tips and tricks for someone that doesnt have a quick photographic memory?
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could plot the course on a map. GPS?

Comment

I noticed that with more seat time, learning a tracks became easier and faster. I've never actually autoxed so I don't know if it works the same way but I'm guessing it will.
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
        Could plot the course on a map. GPS?
        Yes I can! Thats a great idea actually, never thought about it.

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
        I noticed that with more seat time, learning a tracks became easier and faster. I've never actually autoxed so I don't know if it works the same way but I'm guessing it will.
        That is very true. Maybe I should use the practice days to actually practiced and learn how to read the course myself and not use ride along as a crutch.
        Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I autocrossed for quite a few years and, I also do not have a photographic memory (not even close :-). Here are some recommendations that I would do and/or I saw others do (better than myself)

1) Get there early enough to be able to walk the course slowly and/or walk it twice. A few guys I used to autocross with would draw the course (if there wasn't a course map provided) and would make notes about each main or complex section (helps to commit it to memory)
          2) Take your course map, sit in your car and visualize driving it (move hands on wheel, expected shifts, etc.). It sounds dumb but similar to the above, you are trying to commit to memory some of the major pieces.
          3) If you can't memorize the whole course, memorize the first quarter of it and any really important pieces (e.g. what side of a slalom you want to start on if no pointer cone). I find that it allows me to be more relaxed at the start of the run and smooth as I enter parts I don't remember too well
          4) The power of being able to look ahead allows for less memorization.

I hope these helps.

Comment

Coming from a road course perspective, I have trouble on new tracks (and even semi-new tracks in the morning sessions) too. One thing that helped me was paying attention to the names or numbers of each corner, rather than just trying to remember right, right, left, right, etc. Having a name/number for each corner really helped solidify my mental notes. And yeah, the more tracks you learn, the easier it gets. For any other musicians out there, it’s like memorizing songs: the 50th one is easier than the 5th.
            2002 Porsche 911 Targa
            1967 GTV
            1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
            2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

Originally posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
              It comes to the point where I can't even drive the car because I am to focus on where the cones are pointing and all my inputs are being delayed.
              I would be looking ahead at the next corner not the one before you. Lengthen your focus.

Comment

You're thinking about it in Corvette terms, if he drives the Yaris in his avatar he has more than enough time to switch focus between the corner he's at to the next one..
                Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                  I would be looking ahead at the next corner not the one before you. Lengthen your focus.
                  Indeed, i def need to train myself to look further ahead. Just so many cones everywhere.
                  Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                  You're thinking about it in Corvette terms, if he drives the Yaris in his avatar he has more than enough time to switch focus between the corner he's at to the next one..
                  It would be way easier if i was still driving the car in the avatar but i drive a nc miata now. In terms of speed, it really does feel like a corvette compare to my previous car
                  Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                    That's a Hyundai and 0.o.slow used to time attack that car back in the day. That might have been the first time attack Hyundai.
                    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Look for visual references while you walk the course, besides the cones.

Take time after walking the course, sit in the car, windows up, AC on, relax. Close your eyes and "drive" the course in your head with your hands on the wheel. Don't panic about the parts you can't remember. Even if you screw up the run, still drive it.

I have also thrown away the first run or two to drive the course exceedingly slow to get the course down in my head.
                      Yer pal,
                      Force

Comment

Three is a magic number, cognitively speaking. If you can walk the course three times, you stand a better chance of recall when actually driving it.

Walking it three times doesn't mean you'll nail it first run, but it might give you a better shot at it on your second, third and fourth runs.
                        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

I always found I did much better going nice and slow the first run to get familiar with the course, since I also would frequently forget the course after walking. Sometimes that "slow" run would actually end up being my best of the day. What sucks is when you get lost and dnf the first run, and then have to figure out where you went wrong when you only have a couple timed runs left.
                          '09 rx8 sport

Comment

Working...
                          X