Collapse

Buttonwillow 13cw critique

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttonwillow 13cw critique

Heres my 2:03.7 lap from buttonwillow over the weekend with ongrid. Looking for critique on lines so flame suit on! Stock motor NC miata with muffler removed for the loud. Heel and toe is getting better but still not perfrct. Old nexen sur4gs, so the rear end is a lil bit slippery once pushed. Considering that

Turn 1
    -im braking way to early and way to much?
    -can get on the gas sooner?

Offramp
    -should i run a tighter line here?

Cotton corners
    -looks like theres time to be gain if i brake into the first corner compared ti braking in a straight line?
    -would it be faster to just kiss the curbing on the 3rd berm to not upset the car or run over the curbing to cut track distance?

Bus stop
    -i feel im braking to early and exiting with about a foot distance worth on the exit of the berm.

Riverside
    -foots flat to the floor, no weird behavior

Phil hill
    -took it easy cus the 2 cars in front of me are on cool down

Sweeper
    -messed up downshift
    -i dont know how to brake for this turn
    -rear end is always loose
    -took the exit easy cus e46 was oversteering

Last Corner
    -should i avoid this berm?

Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

My answers to your questions. This is only me.

I strongly suggest some kind of data logger like AIM solo. It's a lot faster to learn that way rather than guessing the speed you carry through the corners.

Turn 1
    -im braking way to early and way to much? ***Yes, but hard to tell w/o data***
    -can get on the gas sooner? ***Yes, but hard to tell w/o data***

Offramp
    -should i run a tighter line here? ***Looks ok to me***

Cotton corners
    -looks like theres time to be gain if i brake into the first corner compared ti braking in a straight line? ***Yes brake into the corner***
    -would it be faster to just kiss the curbing on the 3rd berm to not upset the car or run over the curbing to cut track distance? ***Don't hit too much it upsets the car***

Bus stop
    -i feel im braking to early and exiting with about a foot distance worth on the exit of the berm. ***Can go a little faster, but hard to tell w/o data***

Riverside
    -foots flat to the floor, no weird behavior

Phil hill
    -took it easy cus the 2 cars in front of me are on cool down

Sweeper
    -messed up downshift
    -i dont know how to brake for this turn ***Turn in later, brake into the corner***
    -rear end is always loose ***Normal***
    -took the exit easy cus e46 was oversteering

Last Corner
    -should i avoid this berm? ***Yes, avoid because it upsets the car***
    1992 SuperMiata S1 Bullet - W2W Race Car
    2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Weekend Cruiser
    2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
    2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck

Comment

Thank you! I guess I should just ask for line help than questioning about speed til i get a data logger. I appreciate the tips!
      Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Actually looked pretty good to me. Late, hard and precise braking. Tagged all apexes. One throttle application per turn, usually well before apex. Minimal inputs, most line correction with pedals (as it should be). Got a bit too much apex kerb in Sunset for whatever shocks you are running.

Car looks really power limited. Surprised at only 2:03 when you were flat and clean through so many sections.

Minor suggestion is to scrub less in truck stop (S before Bus Stop) and Riverside and kink before Phil Hill. Fewer steering inputs. Keep turning hard right until its time to turn left instead of sort of floating between turns. Minor line change, you're quick through there already. But when you are so power limited, you can't afford any excess tire scrub on the fast sections.
        WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post

Minor suggestion is to scrub less in truck stop (S before Bus Stop) and Riverside and kink before Phil Hill. Fewer steering inputs. Keep turning hard right until its time to turn left instead of sort of floating between turns. Minor line change, you're quick through there already. But when you are so power limited, you can't afford any excess tire scrub on the fast sections.
          Thank you for the reply Emilio. I never paid attention on tire scrub on the high speed section and how it affects lap times. I realize that I should be paying attention to that now since you brought it up. Thank you for the advice!
          Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sunrise can probably be faster, my car is frisky all the way to exit (but we talked about similar stuff at WSIR). Buttonhook looks decent, hit less curbs in cotton, bus stop can be faster, phil hill actually looks excellent even with the traffic.

You should be hitting maybe half of the curbs you are currently hitting. Try playing around with missing some of those and see if your predictive will go negative for you.

Also make sure you're not buzzing the engine past redline on those downshifts, sounds like you're close.

Comment

what Espirit said. when you are driving well, you might be only a couple of second off fastest driver here. which means you are only 0.1-0.3 second slower per corner. That's almost impossible to tell without some type of data.

also to add on what Emilio said. don't sweat the slow corners, sweat the fast corners. most times (lap times) are lost on high speed stuff. you can mess up slow corners and lose very little time.

only issue I see is you downshift way too fast....... you downshift as soon as you touch the brake pedal... slow down, engine is not for braking, that's what brake pedal is for. I think you are losing time at braking. technically you don't really need to be in lower gear till you are on the gas.
              Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-15-2019, 04:46 PM.
              S1 Supermiata - 220whp
              13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
              17 GT350R
              03 Miata Club Sport
              96 NSX
              06 EVO MR
              15 Mini Cooper S
              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I saw and read today that stock NC brakes are prone to knock-back so keep that in mind or research it for yourself. The guy who told me used to race MX-5 Cup and is pretty knowledgeable on all things Miata race cars.
                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                  Sunrise can probably be faster, my car is frisky all the way to exit (but we talked about similar stuff at WSIR). Buttonhook looks decent, hit less curbs in cotton, bus stop can be faster, phil hill actually looks excellent even with the traffic.

You should be hitting maybe half of the curbs you are currently hitting. Try playing around with missing some of those and see if your predictive will go negative for you.

Also make sure you're not buzzing the engine past redline on those downshifts, sounds like you're close.
                  Thanks for the advice. Looks like its time for me to buy a data logger and finally get around to testing all these suggestions out.
                  Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post

only issue I see is you downshift way too fast....... you downshift as soon as you touch the brake pedal... slow down, engine is not for braking, that's what brake pedal is for. I think you are losing time at braking. technically you don't really need to be in lower gear till you are on the gas.
                    I never realize this. Thanks for pointing this out. Something I will keep in mind at this fridays trackday at chuckwalla.
                    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                      I saw and read today that stock NC brakes are prone to knock-back so keep that in mind or research it for yourself. The guy who told me used to race MX-5 Cup and is pretty knowledgeable on all things Miata race cars.
                      Oooooof first Iv heard about this. Ill do some research. I do know the mx-5 cars have problem with abs ice mode but I have yet to experiance that problem. Ill keep an eye out.
                      Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X