X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0.o slow 1.6
    started a topic Big willow critique

Big willow critique

I did big willow for the first time in a rwd car. The lap provided is from the 1st session of the day but it also turned out to also be my ftd. I dont have any data overlay or tire pyrometer readings but any help with the lines will be greatly appreciated! Flame suit on.

2013 miata club with oem lsd
    2600lbs with driver
    140ishwhp
    245/40/17 nexen sur4g (this session is at 17 heat cycles) squared on 17x9
    10k front with progress front bar on stiffest
    8k rear with no sway bar
    No aero
    Last edited by 0.o slow 1.6; 04-02-2019, 12:53 PM.

• robburgoon
    replied
    Ok lookin good. Leave it in 4th for turn 5 until you can figure out how to get through 5 closer to the limit (entirely possible 4th will be the right gear) Everything else looks decent enough.

Leave a comment:

• 0.o slow 1.6
    replied
    Was having trouble joining the gopro footage together of session 4 but here is footage of 2 hot laps in the 4th session. 1st lap is a 1:35.3 and 2nd is 1:35.9.

Leave a comment:

• 0.o slow 1.6
    replied
    Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
    Hmm, if he's effectively doing a clutch kick on each entry that could explain the oddly loose entry.

Except no clitch kick in 9 and still loose in there.

OP, do you have a whole session you could post?
    I can upload a video of the last session on youtube tonight since thats the only session where I was able to consistently get laps in back to back without traffic.

Leave a comment:

• robburgoon
    replied
    Hmm, if he's effectively doing a clutch kick on each entry that could explain the oddly loose entry.

Except no clitch kick in 9 and still loose in there.

OP, do you have a whole session you could post?
    Last edited by robburgoon; 04-23-2019, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    Originally posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post

I was just going by what flyin miata recommend with these spring rates. They suggested oem 12mm rear sway bar or no bar. Im on 10k/8k rates with unknown valving. Ill throw on a rear bar to try out at the net event.
    May I suggest starting at full soft in the rear when you put the bar on.

Leave a comment:

• 0.o slow 1.6
    replied
    Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
    Why no rear sway bar? Iím not too familiar with NC suspension setup but I have a hard time believing no rear bar is part of the fastest track setup.
    I was just going by what flyin miata recommend with these spring rates. They suggested oem 12mm rear sway bar or no bar. Im on 10k/8k rates with unknown valving. Ill throw on a rear bar to try out at the net event.

Leave a comment:

• 0.o slow 1.6
    replied
    Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I am gonna approach this differently.....

your heel and toe..... ummm, not very good.... you are upsetting the car every time you down shift.
    Yea, it is very bad. I practice on the streets when I daily drive but I cant translate it to the track. One of the things I will be improving on this year.

Leave a comment:

• 0.o slow 1.6
    replied
    Now that I'm watching this on something bigger than a phone screen, I'm seeing a trend. It seems like things get frisky on entry, then the car sticks, then things get boring before you reach corner exit.

That's... different. Could it be a push problem? Or maybe a shock valving issue? Or getting into the stops too hard?

Put another way, it seems like the limits are way low on entry, then you're suddenly way under the limit.

What shocks are you on? Looks like you have a fair amount of front sway...

Or maybe it's just tires that are really wide.
    Im on Feal coilovers that I bought used so I dont know how the valving is. I have a bigger front bar and running no rear sway bar. A 3 inch front splitter and a blackbird fabworx lexan spoiler. Also running 245 width tires. Also a .25 inch higher rear rake at the pinch weld. Could it be I am scrubbing to much speed with oversteer on corner entry?
    Last edited by 0.o slow 1.6; 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 0.o slow 1.6
    replied
    Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
    See if you can sit closer to the wheel. Tilt the wheel up and telescope it toward you if it does that. The steering column should point to your sternum.

T1: Killer, taking it nice and deep. I don't know how/if you can go any deeper. There's only increments left to gain here.
    T2: Take it in deeper, bigger lift, but not all the way off, then gradually back to full power in one motion. Let it track out at the top of T2. You don't need to keep it tight to the right to hit a second apex at the corner worker station. Looks really good though.
    T3: Turning in a wee bit too early. That's why you had to counter steer on entry and mid corner.
    T4: Ya man.
    T5: What Rob said, in baby steps. Use the end of the red/white curbing on the right as a peripheral-vision marker to initiate turn-in to the left. You turn in a little late, and this is probably the only turn on any racetrack on earth where that isn't advised. Good luck.
    T6-7: I do a straight line from the outside of T6 to the inside of T8. Shortens the track "un poquito."
    T8: Giggety.
    T9: I think you can go back to full throttle earlier if you stay 2/3 left a bit longer. Nice, deep approach and fast entry , but maybe a little too tight throughout. Ballsy, though. Well done.
    Thanks for the tip! The next Big Willow event is in oct for me so Ill review this thread again before I go back.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Why no rear sway bar? Iím not too familiar with NC suspension setup but I have a hard time believing no rear bar is part of the fastest track setup.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    I am gonna approach this differently.....

your heel and toe..... ummm, not very good.... you are upsetting the car every time you down shift.

Leave a comment:

• robburgoon
    replied
    Now that I'm watching this on something bigger than a phone screen, I'm seeing a trend. It seems like things get frisky on entry, then the car sticks, then things get boring before you reach corner exit.

That's... different. Could it be a push problem? Or maybe a shock valving issue? Or getting into the stops too hard?

Put another way, it seems like the limits are way low on entry, then you're suddenly way under the limit.

What shocks are you on? Looks like you have a fair amount of front sway...

Or maybe it's just tires that are really wide.

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied

See if you can sit closer to the wheel. Tilt the wheel up and telescope it toward you if it does that. The steering column should point to your sternum.

T1: Killer, taking it nice and deep. I don't know how/if you can go any deeper. There's only increments left to gain here.
    T2: Take it in deeper, bigger lift, but not all the way off, then gradually back to full power in one motion. Let it track out at the top of T2. You don't need to keep it tight to the right to hit a second apex at the corner worker station. Looks really good though.
    T3: Turning in a wee bit too early. That's why you had to counter steer on entry and mid corner.
    T4: Ya man.
    T5: What Rob said, in baby steps. Use the end of the red/white curbing on the right as a peripheral-vision marker to initiate turn-in to the left. You turn in a little late, and this is probably the only turn on any racetrack on earth where that isn't advised. Good luck.
    T6-7: I do a straight line from the outside of T6 to the inside of T8. Shortens the track "un poquito."
    T8: Giggety.
    T9: I think you can go back to full throttle earlier if you stay 2/3 left a bit longer. Nice, deep approach and fast entry , but maybe a little too tight throughout. Ballsy, though. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• 0.o slow 1.6
    replied
    Looking much better, but you gotta have your butt fully puckered exiting 5. Need to be constantly wondering if it will stick on exit.
    I had that in mind the whole day actually but I believe I approached it wrong. I should have focus more on mid and exit than corner entry alone. Looking back at it now, I prolly dont have to down shift to third and just stay in 4th all the way through.
    Last edited by 0.o slow 1.6; 04-22-2019, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X